Long Island Tri
78F / 26C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 43m 37s
Overall Rank = 211/779
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:00am to deive out to the Hamptons. Ate a whole wheat bagel with PB on the way out with some water and accelarade. I began to question my sanity as it started to rain. I questioned my sanity even more as it pitch black and started to pour as I got to the transition area. When it stopped I set up my transition area and believed the weathrman who said passing showers to end early. More on that later.
Event warmup:

None really just waited around in the rain. Short swim out to the start buoy.
Swim
  • 33m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I figured that I was going to start inthe front right along the buoy. I got right into a grove as soon as they blew the horn to start. There was not much jostling in the water. I caught up to the earlier waves and had to avoid some of the earlier waves of swimmers. At about the third buoy the skies opened up and the rains came hard. All I could do was think abot my bike and run shoes that were left uncovered, but there was nothing that I could do about that at that point. Hit the turn around feeling good and I feel like I stayed on course with my sighting the whole time. The last buoy into the beach felt like I would never get there.
What would you do differently?:

Not much this swim was 10 minutes faster than the OWS I did in LB on Labor Day.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Regular transition, I saw Bobby (DreamChaser) on our way out onto the bike course.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 47s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

In my opinion the course was a bit hilly, but that is just my opinion. I started off feeling good on the bike and then the hills came. I had not ridden outside since TOBAY and had never ridden in the rain before. As usual I got passed by quite a few people on the hills. I was able to hit over 20 mph on many parts of the course. At about mile 15 the skies opened up again. You had to take many of the turns with caution because of the wet conditions. The weather made for a memorable experience.

As much as I got passed, I am happy with my time. I figured that it would take my 1:30. I have never avg over 18 mph before, so I'll take it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

3:41!!!!!!!!! I don't tknow what I was doing, I thought I got out of there pretty quickly :(

Move faster.
Run
  • 45m 55s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I hit the run I knew I had to make up for some lost time on the bike. I started passing people immediately. I would set my sights on someone ahead off me and slowly reel them in. It was humid on the run and the last two miles were tough. I wish it would have been raining while I was runniong.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as the race ended I saw Bobby and we talked for about 30 minutes since they were not letting anyone into transition until the last bike came in off the course. At some water, fruit and a bagel. I took a nice cold ice bath when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to focu more on building a good base for the bike.

Event comments:

This was a great race. I wish the sun was out to be able to enjoy the scenery that the course offered. The rain made the event much more memorable for me. This was my first OLY distance and I was hoping to finish in under 3 hours. The firat thing I thought as I crossed the finish line was "This was the most difficult thing that I have ever done." It was a great endding to my 2nd year of doing tri's, I enjoy the OLY distance much more than I thought I would. I will be back next year. I am glad that I didn't sign up for the Montauk HIM, I have got alot of work to do this winter.

Last updated: 2008-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:56 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 203/779
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full Suit
Course: Swim out and back along the shore keeping the buoys on your left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:47 | 23.8 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Overall: 376/779
Wind: Some
Course: The first 5 miles there are some rolling hills. There were alot of turns which prevented you from going all out on the course. A couple of flat areas that you could pushe the pace.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:55 | 06.2 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 103/779
Course: Relatively flat course through a residential area. Nice scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon

2008-09-15 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1674035

User image

Subject: RE: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon

Ralph, from reading your past race reports - seeing you get progressively and exponentially faster - and after seeing your recent training logs, I absolutely knew you were due for a breakout performance. 

Make no mistake about it, this is a remarkable finish for your first Olympic race - especially racing a wet course and racing it for the first time.  With the proper focus, training, more experience, and with better weather conditions, I think the both of us will be flirting with 2:30 in '09. 

2008-09-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1674035

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon

Dude!!  What an awesome race! I'm glad you were able to hit on all cylinders!  Great performance on a tough day. Maybe the hills were less in the sun??

CONGRATS 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Hamptons Triathlon Rss Feed