Set Up Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up without the alarm at 4:00. Cleaned up and waas ready to go about 5:00. Ate a bananna and 1 bottle of water. Packed up with Dr. Good Hands (sahooper) adn drove the 10 minutes to the site. Got transition set up, body marked and milled around looking for other BT's. Took the advice of a seasoned Wilmington racer and wore sweats...GREAT call. Rode the bus to the swim start and waited. I walked across the street and sat down and put on my wet suit...I decided to wear it even though I get a technical "DQ"....it probably saved my life (details to follow). Got stopped by the USAT official lady who wanted my race number...I thought she was going to put me in "time out" or something...nope..she just wanted to make sure they didn't DQ the wrong person.
Event warmup:

Got in and swam around for about 5 minutes then lined up.
Swim
  • 48m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Where do I begin...the absolute best decision I have made in years was to wear my wet suit in this race (even though it meant a "technical DQ). Started off nice and easy and actually caught a nice draft for 3-400 yards. Around the 500 yard mark I felt a cramp in my (R) hamstring...slowed some to work it out and continued. 20 yards later..my leg says "NOT SO FAST my latex covered friend, you aren't going anywhere for a while". I stopped and skulled in the water and worked on the leg...that wasn't happening so I drifted over to kayak #1. Got control of the cramp amd convinced the Lifeguard that I was going on anyway. I started using my left leg more...my body said..."WTF...you think we are stupid...that leg ain't going to work either RubberBoy". Got to kayak #2...Worked on both legs and tried to decide if this was worth it at all. YES it was...I told her I didn't drive 7.5 hours from Atlanta to swim 700 yards and get out of the water. And so it went...kayak to kayak..or surf board, on and on until the end...btw..thanks for calling ahead to each other...the personal service of having the next person down the line looking for me and greeting me with "hey...how are your legs doing now?"...that was really a nice touch. Got my first DFL in my AG in the swim...probably won't be my last...but I survived and I proved some things to myself...GOAL ACCOMPLISHED !
What would you do differently?:

Train for endurance in the water. Possible adjust caloric/mineral intake to help with cramps. Make sure I have some "thank you" cards in my wet suit for the kayakers.

One thing I would NOT do differently is to have the mental fortitude to continue on even though I was struggling...that decision made it worth all of the carp I went through.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Had about a .25 mile run on concrete from the water to transition so I stopped right out of the water, on the deck, and took of the suit...good call. It was easier to carry than to run that distance then try and remove it (it also gave me a breather after that glorious swim. While running to the bike area I ran with a guy that was struggling more than I was so I asked him if he was OK? He said "probably...I don't know yet" I remarked that being from Atlanta I could have taken the $50 entry and paid someone there to just kick my a$$ and saved 15 hours of driving and $300 worth of gas". He laughed...and said..Thanks..I needed to laugh. Got changed quickly but the legs wern't cooperating yet so that slowed me down some. Walked the bike out and started to ride.

Probably nothing...the problems I had were cramp related and that is not something I normally have to deal with...so overall...pretty good.
Bike
  • 54m 31s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 13.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't able to start right out since my toe clips were too tight...forgot to check them. Got that fixed (about 1 minute of time). Continued on but it was evident that this was going to be a recreational ride at best. All I am going to say is...if I hear "ON your left" just one more time...somebody is going to get an a$$ kickin. I did pass one person in the middle portion of the course...but she was having trouble with her training wheels and her dad was running along beside her to help. Was able to pick it up in the last 1/3 of the course as the legs let up some, but the headwind did not, so overall performance was not great

Avoid cramps on the swim and make sure the bike is FULLY checked out and ready to go.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Best part of my race day. Handled transition well and got some encouragement from the very HOT girl racked next to me...of course she was packing up to go home but she was very nice and supportive (I probably reminder her of her father ((or grandfather ;) )

Nothing...maybe ask for her number or e-mail.
Run
  • 33m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

About an average run for me. I so much wanted to hammer this but I have been training at slower paces for the marathon and that added to the issues with the legs from earlier just didn't add up to a great run. I did pass 4 people, 1 was 61 y.o. female and the 2 others had flip-flops on so I not sure I can count them as victims. Had some kick at the end and actually caught a 38 y.o. in the chute. That felt really good.

Probably not much. I have not been focusing on this race as much as the marathon...as if you couldn't tell ;) so I can't be too disapointed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and tried to find a quiet place to puke...just in case. Dr. Good Hands found me (she SMOKED her race...you GO girl) and we ate some bagles and cookies and waited with R for the ceremonies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

CRAMPS, undertraining.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great and everything was organized from what I could tell. Instructions were clear and locations were well marked. I would have liked some mile markers on the bike though.

Last updated: 2008-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:36 | 1640 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: 2XU
Course: Point to point across a channel and around behind an island.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:31 | 12.43 miles | 13.68 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Some rough spots and some noticible pot holes. Cars in some areas but overall not too bad...especially at the pace I was riding.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:14 | 03.11 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat loop with one out and back to get the distance right. Came with a headwind in all directions...thanks God.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2008-09-22 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1688075

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Steve,
Enjoyed meeting you at the race. Sorry about the cramping.

John
2008-09-22 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
FANTASTIC job sticking it out on the swim, Steve. That sounds brutal (and is it just me or is that an awfully long swim for a sprint???). I'm so impressed that you pushed through like that, and then kept pushing through the bike and run. I know you're disappointed with the end result, but this is a race to be proud of, I think.
2008-09-22 6:19 PM

User image

Marietta, GA
YOU ARE THE BOMB, BABY!!! I'm proud to know you!

Susan (Dr. Good Hands)
2008-09-22 8:59 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Dude!

I am so, so, so proud to *know* you! 

You stuck with it, you did it, you finished it!

You ROCK!

now, for next season - show me the purple

2008-09-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1688957

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Fielding - 2008-09-22 4:47 PM FANTASTIC job sticking it out on the swim, Steve. That sounds brutal (and is it just me or is that an awfully long swim for a sprint???). I'm so impressed that you pushed through like that, and then kept pushing through the bike and run. I know you're disappointed with the end result, but this is a race to be proud of, I think.

Erin, I agree - that is a very long swim for a Sprint!

2008-09-23 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1689542

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
lastcall2003 - 2008-09-22 10:01 PM

Erin, I agree - that is a very long swim for a Sprint!

You lovely ladies are right.... as usual, but with the current and the saltwater it doesn't seen that long...to normal people anyway.  The website for the race states that it should seem like about 700-750...I don't know about that, but with a better current (like they have had in previous years) it would seem a lot shorter.

Steve

2008-10-09 9:44 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Great job of sticking in there. Mental toughness is harder to develop than run stamina. It will carry you through your next race in good form.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed