General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 32s
Overall Rank = 4F/74F
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

58/278 including the boys
I was hoping for an early night friday cos I knew I wouldn't sleep properly saturday. Unfortunately a delightful evening in Strong with my youngest son put an end to that. I packed the night before, including pumping my tyres (I added a bit over to allow for any deflation overnight as I knew it would be dark in the carpark - how did you pump yours ridgelake?), got up at 5.10, ate my oatmeal, waited for my morning bobbystocks movement and set off about 5.25. Aimed at getting there 6.00am and was spot on. I had packed all but my wetsuit in a backpack so I rode from the carpark to transition. This was not well organised and unusually for this race I have a few gripes. Most people were funneling in from one side and there was a queue building. The man said I could not go into transition without being bodymarked -so we had loads of us with our bikes getting body marked - not very convenient although there wasn't a queue here - the queue was just people coming in from car park. This was different to what they were saying on the speaker as well (just needed bike number on). Sounds like ridgelake had a 3rd version with the bike helmet number - I was never given one in packet either and never needed one. I did have my bib number with me if needed but no one asked for that. Anyway into transition. Gripe 2 - bike placement. I love it when you have to rack by number so was pleased to see this - unfortunately I was in a free for all row which was my numbers and fat tyres. I found a space but after two fat tired bikes had fallen into my bike - my NEW bike I was beginning to get a bit edgy. There were some wooden racks which were slightly wider and yellow apparently for fat tires but you couldn't really see a difference with no daylight. Later on someone started moving the fat tire bikes to their proper spots a few yards down thank goodness so I relaxed a bit more.
As ridgelake can attest to I wasn't very awake when I saw him in transition, especially as I was grumpy about the above (and that's just me in the mornings anyway - why can't they have coffee on tap in transition?)
Anyway I did my usual walkthrough of ins/outs put my wetsuit on, saw a few people I knew and then it was time for meeting.
I marked on the inside of my wrist my individual goal times for each part of race and kept an eye on them throughout - it was a great motivator.
Event warmup:

As soon as the meeting had finished I headed straight for the lake. They had allotted a magnificent FIVE minutes of lake time for warm up. 64F they said and it was coooold. They let us stay in longer than 5mins thank goodness as for some reason I just need to warm up and swim awhile and then however long I wait in the corral I don't get that initial breathlessness at the start. I was amazed how quickly they got everyone out and started the race on time. Glad I wasn't in the sprint tri hanging around in that cold
Swim
  • 26m 11s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

6/74Female
I was in the last(4th) wave with all females under 50 and relay. This was great cos I knew that whoever was in front of me or behind was really that position relatively in the race - except in the end 2nd overall female was over 50 (and in the first wave)
I tried to find feet from the start but everyone was going in all sorts of directions and before the first buoy I stopped, stood up, reorientated and tried again. Most of the time on outward leg I found some feet to follow but a bit sporadic as their navigation wasn't great and when we started passing people in earlier wave it all went to pieces. However my buoy rounding was excellent - nice tight turns. Swimming back, no useful feet so just used some people on either side to help me navigate. Difficult to find something to aim at on shore so just generally followed mass of caps
What would you do differently?:

This was an OK swim. I never put a huge amount of swim training in but I made myself pull strongly and stretch so happy for now. Would like to improve for next year
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

84/278 This felt quite smooth to me. I swam as far into shore as I could and then jogged to transition. I wanted to get under 2mins and I did. I do sit down to put my socks on and that just gives me a few seconds to catch my breath so I like it. I can't run without socks so might as well put them on here. Decided too dull for sunglasses so left them behind. I had one of the longest runs with bike to bike exit but was OK and I even managed to get on and start pedalling before I clipped in so happy with that

this felt good - for me that is. I still need to cut down on this time to make a difference to the leader board though!
Bike
  • 1h 08m 35s
  • 24.2 miles
  • 21.17 mile/hr
Comments:

3/74 female
I was going to give it my best for my last chance of 2008 goal to get over 20mph average. Unfortunately I forgot to wake up my bike computer until a couple of minutes in and I knew they would be slow minutes (narrow, busy) but was still a rough guide. I wanted to average 20 by the time I got to the big hill and then I knew I'd be in with a chance as the uphill and downhill should even out and the flat bit back along the lake should be over 20mph
All went well. This course was so busy though. It was difficult to get your own space away from others and I was constantly passing and being passed. I passed a couple of girls and "gu girl" (her Tshirt) and I played leap frog a while before she took off and I didn't see her again (she was someone I'd met at gvcc I found out later and only did a minute faster than me on bike). I caught Rob on the big hill and then he recaught up to tell me I was 5th or 6th girl. Wow I thought, I have a chance here of placing, at the very least in my age group (I didn't last year :( )
I pushed this bike. I didn't know how my hip would feel so I wanted to give it my best and my new bike flew!
Love the new course. My only gripe here is from the college to transition. There was not enough room and I had to slow down numerous times whilst shouting "on your left" to overtake people. This was a race didn't they know!

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

90/278. Was hoping for under 1 min. Again felt smooth but I had a long way to run with my bike. I had a gel and washed down with water - ha if I'd known I would end up 30seconds off 3rd place overall maybe I would have ran with it!

Transitions aren't my strength- practice I guess
Run
  • 49m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

13/74female
Cool conditions were perfect for me.
This was the first Oly run I haven't that I didn't have thoughts like I wished I wasn't there/ thought I was dieing. I took it easy out of transition and then just got into a steady pace. I overtook Gu girl about half mile in and exchanged comments about not being in the same age group so it was OK. On first lap going up to pier I could see the leaders coming back so I thought there were 3 in front of me. I think I overtook one but after a while the sprint girls mixed in so more difficult to tell. Only one girl overtook me and I tried holding her off. She must have negative split because I could see her after first loop and she just slowly gained on me in the second. She overtook me on pier on second loop. I tried to hang with her for a while but my body just couldn't do that extra and she pulled away. Her pace was average 7:56 so she really must have speeded up. She was 3rd female overall. I was convinced I knew my position and after she went by thought I was 4th. I did end up 4th but the 2nd placer was in a different wave so the girl I saw chasing the winner must have been in relay.

The numbers tell me this is my weakness still so will work on this. I have improved though so pretty pleased. I need to learn to be able to pick it up a bit towards end
Post race
Warm down:

Through the shoot and I stop and bend over to catch my breath. It's just the way I do it. A lady sitting by water bottles about 2 metres away said she'd take my chip and I told her I'd have to give it to her when I could walk that far!
Saw marmadaddy and dexter (and will) outside finish. They were pleased with their races which was great!

i then had to go looking for hubby and kids and get set up for kids race

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running faster. The female winner pace was under 7m/mile!!!

Event comments:

I love this race. It was my A race this year and was my first Oly 2 years ago so I have big attachment, especially as it is local.
I didn't like the food this year. Not much variety and a lot of cold fish and chicken hanging around. The yummy sandwiches, cookies etc in previous years were much better.

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:11 | 1500 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 40/74F
Performance: Average
fiddled distance so matches official results
Suit: full
Course: long narrow anticlockwise rectangle with buoys definitely not in line on way back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:35 | 24.2 miles | 21.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 48/74F
Wind: Little
Course: one loop of east of canandaigua lake. Rolling hills and lakeshore
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:37 | 06.21 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 120/74F
2 laps of pretty flat course
Course: first loopy bit through park bit so you can't see who's out in front then up the road to pier and back. Repeat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-23 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-09-23 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1691535

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Jackie, I'm so very, very happy for you on this race.  It ALL came together for you and you obliterated this course!  You've put in so much work the last 2+ years.  And I know the results this year haven't been what you've been looking for. 

Until Sunday.

WOW!!!!!!!

I believe you PRed every single split.  Annihilated your previous bike split.  Maybe New Precious likes getting bumped around a touch pre-race! 

Just a FANTASTIC race.  I am so proud of you and so happy for you!

2008-09-23 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Wow, Jackie!  You are good, very, very good.  Awesome race!  Exciting that you had such an great bike split!  I can't believe that the 3rd place woman was only 30" in front of you.  Next year!  Smile

You need to get to the race between 5:30 and 5:45, unfortunately, in order to miss the chaos.  They should encourage people to body mark themselves the night before - with specific instructions in the race packet or something.  hmmmm...maybe I'll e-mail them with that suggestion......

2008-09-23 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Whoa. You crushed that course. That's a killer bike split.

Congratulations.
2008-09-23 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great racing with awesome placing in everything.  Sweet bike.  You still looked strong after finishing.  Those damn transitions!!!  What the hell do we do in them?
2008-09-24 3:43 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Congratulations on your race results!!! Strong performance across the board!!!  Not only did you reach your goal of 20 on the bike, you crushed it!!!

Sorry I didn't catch up with you Sunday!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed