General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CycleOps Fluid Trainer seems to easy to me, a beginner cyclist - am I doing something wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-24 10:55 PM

Master
Subject: CycleOps Fluid Trainer seems to easy to me, a beginner cyclist - am I doing something wrong?

Hi all. After my sweet recent purchase of a Cervelo P2C Dura Ace despite my complete lack of any road biking or triathlon experience (and only middling mtn biking ability), I also purchased a CycleOps Fluid Trainer ($280) to do a lot of serious training. I'm finding that the CycleOps trainer does not deliver anywhere as near as much resistance as I'd hoped. I still can get a really good workout on it (sweat galore), but I'm already near maximum gearing on my Cervelo (only 2-3 more small rings left) on 1+hr rides, and foresee maxxing out the gearing even on long 2 hr rides in the near future, especially once I get accustomed to the aero position.

I'm definitely a total cycling noob and definitely do not have any special bike talent or physical ability, so I was wondering if any of you more experienced folks have encountered maxxing out on your bike trainer. I really was hoping to do hard power sprints on it, but max resistance is not even 1/2 of the hard climbs I do on my mtn bike. I've set up my CycleOps exactly as the instructions said, and I have zero tire slip, so I'm not sure that increasing the tension on the rear tire (already pretty tight) will help. (The fluid unit does get pretty hot when I'm riding it.) Still, if I'm setting it up wrong, any pointers would be appreciated.

Any suggestions, or possibly different trainers to get? (Waterdog  any pointers, given your similar running ability?)

Edited by agarose2000 2008-09-24 10:55 PM

2008-09-25 12:09 AM
in reply to: #1694959

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
Subject: RE: CycleOps Fluid Trainer seems to easy to me, a beginner cyclist - am I doing something wrong?
What's your speed (cadence)?  Resistance is proportional to wheel speed.  If it's too easy, pedal faster.
2008-09-25 12:33 AM

Master
Subject: RE: CycleOps Fluid Trainer seems to easy to me, a beginner cyclist - am I doing something wrong?

My cadence is 95-105, I'm almost certain. Definitely no lower than 90.  I've been on a gym bike for the past 3 months, and while I'm sure the power and speed estimation is spotty at best on those, the cadence seems correct, and very consistent. I've been training 100-110 for the past 3 months, intentionally overspinning since as a mtn biker, I tended to underspin before I switched to road style training.

I just suspect I may be doing something wrong here - this CycleOps unit ($280ish) just seems too easy for any age-group contender or competitive cyclist (not me) even on maximum settings for longer rides. This unit was also recommended to me by an ex-sponsored elite triathlete who I'm sure could ride circles around me in his sleep, so I suspect I'm not doing something right. 

Do any of you strong cyclists do sprints and aggressive hill sims on your CycleOps, or do you find it pretty much used for longer sustained efforts?

Edited by agarose2000 2008-09-25 12:41 AM
2008-09-25 1:47 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong but I've never run out of gears.  For an easy ride I will be in the middle chainring (something teeth) and somewhere in the middle of the cassette, spinning at ~100rpm.

I will usually tightened the screw by about 1.5 turns for easy riding and 2-2.5 turns if I'm going to be doing any high intensity work.  But, if you're tires not slipping then I can't see that this is a problem.  How about tire pressure, are your tires pumped up properly? - I'm sure you are.

Other than that I would suggest exchanging the unit.  Even a top pro couldn't max out on the one I've got, certainly not for easy/aerobic riding.

2008-09-25 8:57 AM

User image

Motor City USA
I know these may seem like stupid questions so forgive me, but

Are you in the large front ring?
Are you riding 'compact' gearing?

I have a fluid 2 and ride a 53t front ring and you must be a monster if you are spinning out a 53-12 (not that it is impossible).

If that is the case then you may want to check out another fluid 2 to see if there is something wrong with yours.
2008-09-25 9:37 AM

User image

Modesto, California
It sounds like you need to add more tension. I dont think there is an tension standard, you just need to go by feel. The instructions say 1 1/2 turns on the knob once it touches the tire,whatever! My large gear 15 is my go to gear and I know from road riding what it should feel like, once I'm on the trainer I know where my tension needs to be at, once its dialed in you should not need to adjust it any more, just flip the knob. Also make sure your tire pressure is good. Cycleops is a good trainer, once you have it dialed in you should get a great workout going through all of your gears.

2008-09-25 9:52 AM

Master

I'm riding a stock Cervelo 12/25 Ultegra set.

I'm on the big chainring up front and one of the smaller ones on back. It feels like I'm geared correctly - it gets harder as I shift toward the "max" gearing.

I setup my bike exactly as this video shows, and I have the exact same model, with the yellow handle, which is pulled up to meet the tire at the end exactly as the video shows. I believe that this unit has no dedicated resistance change settings - it allegedly "ramps up" with effort, although I could definitely be wrong here, and would love to be corrected if I am.

And I'm 110% certain that I'm NOT a bike monster! I did notice however, a few reviews of this same trainer mentioned that some folks were nearing max gearing on a hard ride as well. 

2008-09-25 6:38 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Got mine used and it works great -- didn't know they were adjustable. 
2008-09-25 7:33 PM

User image

Elite
Flip the yellow handle so that it is in the loose position, turn 360 degrees to the right and flip it back up. Should increase the overall tension quite a bit.
2008-09-26 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1697391

User image

Modesto, California

aarondavidson - 2008-09-25 5:33 PM Flip the yellow handle so that it is in the loose position, turn 360 degrees to the right and flip it back up. Should increase the overall tension quite a bit.

X2-When you crank the handle clockwise it increases the tension!

2008-09-26 9:38 AM

Do you have a cadence indication or are you doing it by feel? I have a CylceOps II Fluid Trainer. At first I did not have a cycle computer with cadence. Even though I adjusted the tension as they recommended it seemed easy at what I precieved was a good aveage cadence. Then I got a computer with cadence. I found I was riding about 70 - 75 rpm when I thought I was doing closer to 90. When I rode in the 90-95 rpm range, I found there was plenty of reisitance and needed to move the gearing back up to maintain the rpm in that range and my heart rate in the desired training range.

2008-09-26 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1695561

User image

Motor City USA
I'm more curious of how may teeth your front rings have. A 'standard' is a 53/39 where a 'compact' is a 50/36 or similar.

Anyway, if you are in the big ring up front just keep shifting to smaller cogs in the back until you run out, you're not hurting anything. Keep the cadence up and if you are 'spinning out' the gear then you may be a monster ;-)

Oh, and BTW I find that the resistance on my Fluid 2 gets a lot harder after 10-15min. Something about the fluid getting more viscose as it gets warmer.
2008-09-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1698970

User image

Sensei
Sin City
that seems counterintuitive, but I don't know
2008-09-26 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1699020

User image

Motor City USA
It could be less viscose I cna never remember which is which, but I know that my trainer offers more resistance as it heats up.
2008-09-26 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi

Engineer here, viscosity goes down as temp goes up.  

http://www.halocarbon.com/halocarbon_media/visctemp_105.pdf

Therefore the first bit is a little harder than when the fluid warms up a bit.  I rode my trainer last night for about 40-45 minutes and yea . . what a workout.  Sweat rolling way before 10 minutes.  I agree with the others, put the handle in the middle position, make it touch the tire and put a little pressure, then flip handle up.  Definitely make the roller press on the tire a bit when it's in the middle position.  That way when you flip it down it really puts some pressure on the tire.  If that doesn't help, something is wrong.  Last night training, I did some "hill training" where I'd put the bike in the highest gear and stand up and grind it out.  Wore me plumb the heck out and there's no way I could spin that gear.  Hope this helped.  I love my Cycleops Fluid 2!

2008-09-26 3:56 PM

Master

Ok I think I figured out most of the problem.

The CycleOps resistance increases exponentially as you increase speed, just as it does in the normal world situation. Thus, even though I can spin 70-80rpm with moderate challenge at max gearing, it's 4-5x harder if you go 120+rpm. I tried spinning it as fast as I could yesterday on max gearing (probably 125-130rpm) and it was definitely hard enough - wore me out in minutes. I guess I was just surprised that the exponential increase didn't become palpable to me until I'm max geared out, but I guess that's what it takes. I also agree with others that I may be spinning a bit slower than I'd believed, and that may be misleading me as well.

Thanks for the tips - will let you know if I can build up to riding at 90rpm on the max chainring (not anytime soon!)

2008-09-26 3:57 PM

Master

browncd - which cyclocomputer are you using? I'm looking for one that'll work even if I hook it up to the back wheel.

2008-09-26 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1699659

User image

Motor City USA
Try the Cateye Astrale 8 or better the Strada w/ Cadence. Both work great and take the speed off the back wheel. The Strada is better but the Astrale woudl be dirt cheap if you can still find it.
2008-09-27 4:45 PM

I have the wired Cateye Strada w/cadence. It works great. Only I had was when I mounted it on the stem, I would sweat on it when I was in the aero bars. Some sweat got into the contacts
and it quit reading. I moved it to the aero bars and it works fine.
2008-09-30 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Those of you increasing trainer resistance by increasing the amount of pressure on the tire are missing the point, imho. The roller should only be tight enough so that the tire does not slip on it.   After that, you are increasing resistance by chewing through your tires.  The resistance is supposed to come from the fluid, not from compressing the tire.  As stated above, with the right gearing, you should be fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CycleOps Fluid Trainer seems to easy to me, a beginner cyclist - am I doing something wrong? Rss Feed