Firm Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 13m 22s
Overall Rank = 83/246
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/36
Pre-race routine:

Camped for the first time on a race weekend and it actually turned out pretty well. I was up @ 3am and got coffee going. Changed and sat in car had coffee and 1 PBJ sandwich and an Ensure. Got S up and headed to the race site to get ready.
Event warmup:

Set up Transition, found a restroom and then walked the mile down to the swim start. Chatted w/ Rob and Merideth and tried to stay calm.
Swim
  • 30m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Unfortunately it was almost dead low tide and we had to run at least 100yds out through the waves before we could actually start swimming. There were a lot of holes that kept grabbing my legs, I went down once but handled the waves pretty well. Once I was able to begin swimming I was good and got on some good feet and rounded the 1st buoy well. Unfortunately with the wave height it made sighting basically impossible, unless you happened to sight while on the crest of a wave. I followed the feet for about the first 1/2 of the swim then I lost them and began to get carried out by the tide w/o realizing it. Once I caught site of the other turn buoy I was almost to Newport. I would have to say if I had not swam so far out I could have probably knocked a minute off the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Don't really know, sighting was almost impossible, I guess try and focus on staying closer to shore.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Got blitzed by a wave coming out of the swim (think washing machine on high) which kind of had me staggering out of the water. Walked a few seconds then starting jogging to T1. Had wetsuit to my waist in no time and was able to get out of it relatively easily, got stuck on 1 heel but no the other.

Watch the waves when exiting the water.
Bike
  • 2h 44m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike today. Decided after T-man to try and keep wattage between 200-210 and really concentrate on keeping it there. I was able to do this well and ended w/ an Avg Watt of 188 w/ a NP of 198 for a VI of 1.07. I peed once on the bike at about mile 30 and was able to get nutrition in the whole ride. 2 bottles of Infinite, 1.5 bottles H2O and 2 gels. This equals about 700 calories.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

T2 was uneventful. Just stayed calm and got everything I needed and headed out. Well one thing I forgot were my arm warmers. I had taken them off at about mile 53 and stuffed them in the front of my tri top then took of running with them, think really disfigured Boobs!! I was wondering why I was getting odd looks.

Nothing except remember to get rid of arm warmers
Run
  • 1h 54m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 2 my hamstrings began to cramp, first on then the other. I was screaming at them at this point, because I knew then I had a shot at Sub 5 (slim) still and definitely had a shot at a PB. I got them stretched out and increased my run cadence a little and concentrated on using my glutes to push off and this seemed to help them calm down some. Was able to run for the whole run except for a couple of other hamstring cramps and when I chose to walk to get water, etc. Them at mile 12 my hammy's really starting talking to me and I knew the beach was not going to be fun. I was able to keep running but I was definitely running the line. Once I hit the beach I immediately headed for the water and hard packed sand. I would get the run along the beach is 200-400 yds and I was actually doing well, until I had to go back through the soft sand to the finish. I got about 1/2 way there and my legs began cramping, but I think I am right there, so I grit my teeth and keep running. Well now S and our dog are running alongside me yelling encouragement when my legs completely lock up and down I go, I cant hardly get up no less run. Here I am trying to straighten my legs and get up while everyone is yelling at me to "run, I am almost done", do they not think that I know this. I was cursing and trying to get up, finally go moving again and staggered / ran to the parking lot, once I got on solid ground again I was able to run again and finish w/ a PB!!!!!

Splits:
Mile 1: 7:57 AHR: 149
Mile 2: 9:17 AHR: 151
Mile 3: 8:06 AHR: 152
Mile 4:
Mile 5: 16:41 AHR: 157 (missed split)
Mile 6: 8:24 AHR: 153
Mile 7: 8:48 AHR: 161
Mile 8: 9:07 AHR: 159
Mile 9: 8:54 AHR: 157
Mile 10: 9:12 AHR: 158
Mile 11: 9:20 AHR: 159
Mile 12: 8:12 AHR: 156
Mile 13: 11:15 AHR: 160

Not much, I am pretty happy with the run. I was able to hold off the cramps for the run and also make sure that I stayed hydrated.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, H2O and got a good stretch. Then we say Cappy finish and basically packed up and got out of there. The food they had wasn't doing it for me so we got a sandwich around the corner, then stopped and got some beer on the way back to the campsite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to get stronger, specifically, running.

Event comments:

Considering they had to postpone due to Hurricane Hanna and still had the event go off without a noticeable hitch, I was very impressed. They certainly know how to put on a race.

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:09 | 2112 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/36
Overall: 63/246
Performance: Good
AHR:156
Suit: Full QR
Course: Swim out about 200yds then along the beach back to T1.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:20 | 56 miles | 20.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/36
Overall: 64/246
AHR:135
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling to flat w/ a small section of hills in the middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:54:50 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/36
Overall: 96/246
Course: Single loop flat course with one somewhat significant hill at mile 11
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-26 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon

2008-09-26 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1699878

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon
Awesome bike split, I heard sighting was terrible, one guy got off course and exited the water 90 min after the start.
2008-10-01 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1699878

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon
good job Dve, I am very proud for all the hard work and effort you did this season. You were short from your goal but hey Tris are suppose to be hard and this is what keeps ups wanting more Nevertheless all the work you did this year will serve as another layer for your aerobic base to make you faster next year! enjoy the off season
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firmman Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed