General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mag Trainer or Fluid Trainer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-27 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Mag Trainer or Fluid Trainer?

Which offers the best workout?

I am only concerned slightly about noise.

I'm looking at durability and versatility and of course QUALITY.

-Chris

2008-09-27 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1701087

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mag Trainer or Fluid Trainer?

I have a mag trainer but really want a fluid trainer... Mag trainers are LOUD! if you are price sensitive though you can get a great workout on a mag trainer.

In my opinion though I would spend the extra $$$ and go fluid. 

2008-09-27 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

I think the fluid is supposed to give a little more realistic road resistance feel, but I'm of no help to you yet.  I have a mag and yes it's a little loud, but I just got a fluid trainer (ebay) for two reasons...#1 My wife and I can ride together this winter and #2 when I ride early it should be quieter (is that a word?).

The fluid trainers are definately more expensive and I did see a few comments about leakage when researching, but I don't think it's common. Hopefully someone can give you better info.

2008-09-28 3:36 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Fluid trainers are definitely quieter and are supposed to give a more realistic road feel.  People often say a downside of fluid trainers is the potential for them to leak but I've never had that problem myself (3 years of using the CycleOps Fluid II).
2008-09-28 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1701445

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Fluid trainers have a more realistic road feel, as the effort required is increased the harder you pedal without having to fiddle with remote or wired control settings and there is a 'coasting' effect, so that when you slow or stop pedaling, the flywheel continues rotating and slows to a halt due to the inertia of the viscous fluid. 

Older generations of fluid trainers were known to leak, but the modern ones rarely do*

Two of the more popular ones are CycleOps Fluid2 and Kurt Kinetic road machine. Kurt has a patented sealed fluid chamber guaranteed not to leak. Ever.

* in the last year I purchased two new CycleOps fluid2 trainers that both leaked within weeks of first use, but it would appear to have been a rarity from what I have heard. 

2008-09-29 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

Fluid - unless price is an issue.

I have both a mag (Blackburn) and a fluid (Kurt Kinetic), and the fluid is by far more realistic in terms of resistance.  It's also quieter, so I don't worry about it when I take my bike and trainer to a spin class.  I definitely like the way the fluid feels relative to the mag trainer.

Having said all that, you can get some pretty darn good deals on mag trainers, and they will definitely provide you with a decent workout over the winter.

2008-09-29 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Cool Avatar.

Magnetic trainers have a "constant resistance curve" that is not how we expereince the on set of resistance in the real world. It really isn't a "curve" at all, but a parallel progression.

In other words, if it takes 5 units of energy to go 5 M.P.H. on a magnetic trainer it will take 10 units of energy to go 10 M.P.H., 20 units to 20 M.P.H., etc. The progression is roughly linear.

A fluid trainer is more realistic since the on set of resistance is how we expereince it in the real world: going from 5 to 10 M.P.H. is not that difficult. Going from 10-20 M.P.H. really takes some noticeable work but is doable. Going from 20 M.P.H. to 30 M.P.H. is extremely hard and few of us could sustain it for even a minute. Going above 30 M.P.H. and you'd have to swap places with Lance. Essentially, the faster you go, the harder it is to go faster. The progression isn't linear, it is "exponential".

Also, magnetic trainers are inherently not variable resistance. To vary the resistance in a meaningful way you have to vary the proximity of the magnetic resistance unit to the attracting/drag unit. This is done mechanically with a lever or knob, sometimes mounted on your handlebars and connected with a cable (that has a nasty habit of failing and can't easily be replaced). Other times it is mounted on the side of the resistance unit, meaning you have to dismount to vary the resistance significantly.

Fluid trainers are variable resistance- exactly the same way we vary resistance in the real world: With our gears. If you want higher resistance you shift to a harder gear. The resistance roller speeds up and the resistance becomes greater- so great that on good fluid trainers like the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine you can easily simulate hill climbing. On a fluid trainer you change resistance the way you change it in the real world: By shifting gears.

Magnetic trainers also have an annoying tendency to lose resistance as a workout progresses since magnets tend to become weaker as they become hotter. For this reason the resistance seems to "back off" on magnetic trainers.

For a detailed review of the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine I wrote this:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/kurt-kinetic.shtml

One word of caution: There seems to be some concern over attack from angry badgers when using an indoor trainer. I can't say anything about it here, but it may be worth researching further strictly in the interest of safety...
2008-10-03 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

I can personally attest that the deal found at the link below is AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN, and the trainer is excellent.  No need to fear the badger at all. 

https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/shop/product.php?productid=16371&cat=256&bestseller=Y

2008-10-05 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Utah

I ordered that exact one, and it should be here day after tomorrow. No angry badgers have come by yet. Yet. the funny part about it is that I showed the link to another person before I bought my trainer, and she bought hers before I could order mine--and then she passed the link on to another person who also ordered--and I ended up paying $10 more because I waited until after the weekend to order mine. Still a screaming deal, but funny that I waited a couple days, and ended up paying more than the people I passed the info along to. So order it...now....before the angry badger gets grumpier and makes the price go up.

I'll post when I get the trainer, and let you know how it compares to the minoura mag trainer I already have.  

2008-10-06 1:04 PM

Westminster

ditto on the deal. i ordered it from there last week, UPS should drop it off this afternoon.

2008-10-06 2:19 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Maryland

WOW! I've been looking for a deal on a ferocious badger!!!

I called bikesport to confirm the model I was getting and put my order in imediately. Thanks for pointing this deal out!!! This was the exact model I've been shopping for!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

PS... I got shipping confirmation less than 45 minutes after placing my order. Nice work bikesport!

2008-10-07 12:48 PM

Westminster
Well i recieved mine last night, everything in the box as promised. No reason to fear the badger on this deal. This is my first trainer, and after an hour, was a good choice.
2008-10-08 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Maryland
Wife says ours just got delivered!!! Can't wait!
2008-10-08 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ
I bought the "badger" last year and what a great deal it was.  Works great as you will soon find out.
2008-10-08 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I think I will step up and go with the fluid trainer instead of a mag trainer.

-chris

2008-10-10 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1705352

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Thomas Demerly - 2008-09-30 12:42 AM

Cool Avatar.

Magnetic trainers have a "constant resistance curve" that is not how we expereince the on set of resistance in the real world. It really isn't a "curve" at all, but a parallel progression.

In other words, if it takes 5 units of energy to go 5 M.P.H. on a magnetic trainer it will take 10 units of energy to go 10 M.P.H., 20 units to 20 M.P.H., etc. The progression is roughly linear.

A fluid trainer is more realistic since the on set of resistance is how we expereince it in the real world: going from 5 to 10 M.P.H. is not that difficult. Going from 10-20 M.P.H. really takes some noticeable work but is doable. Going from 20 M.P.H. to 30 M.P.H. is extremely hard and few of us could sustain it for even a minute. Going above 30 M.P.H. and you'd have to swap places with Lance. Essentially, the faster you go, the harder it is to go faster. The progression isn't linear, it is "exponential".

Also, magnetic trainers are inherently not variable resistance. To vary the resistance in a meaningful way you have to vary the proximity of the magnetic resistance unit to the attracting/drag unit. This is done mechanically with a lever or knob, sometimes mounted on your handlebars and connected with a cable (that has a nasty habit of failing and can't easily be replaced). Other times it is mounted on the side of the resistance unit, meaning you have to dismount to vary the resistance significantly.

Fluid trainers are variable resistance- exactly the same way we vary resistance in the real world: With our gears. If you want higher resistance you shift to a harder gear. The resistance roller speeds up and the resistance becomes greater- so great that on good fluid trainers like the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine you can easily simulate hill climbing. On a fluid trainer you change resistance the way you change it in the real world: By shifting gears.

Magnetic trainers also have an annoying tendency to lose resistance as a workout progresses since magnets tend to become weaker as they become hotter. For this reason the resistance seems to "back off" on magnetic trainers.

For a detailed review of the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine I wrote this:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/kurt-kinetic.shtml

One word of caution: There seems to be some concern over attack from angry badgers when using an indoor trainer. I can't say anything about it here, but it may be worth researching further strictly in the interest of safety...

Gr8 info... now I know why I seem to "overpower" my mag trnr at higer speeds.

2008-10-16 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
Waltham

This thread has pretty much sold me on the Kurt Kinetic Road Trainer - but another thread also mentioned the Rock & Roll model.  It sounds like a nice concept, but just looking to get some opinions from anyone who has tried it out so I can make a decision and order one!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2008-10-22 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
What a great thread, thanks to everyone for the info on the crazy badger, ordered mine this morning, what a sweet dealCool
2008-10-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1716711

User image

Georgia Tech
Is this to purchase the Kinetic trainer? I haven't heard of this badger thing about. Can somebody explain how it works? I'm a noobie.
2008-10-23 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
I believe due to advertising restrictions from the manufacturer that the actual name can't be disclosed in any type of ad, but I think if you DID order it you'd be happy.  You can always call Bikesport, they'll confirm over the phone what it is.  I read between the lines on here, much like you have, and ordered it first, then called to see what in the hell I just bought.  It'll arrive tomorrow, can't waitTongue out
2008-10-23 5:24 PM

User image

My badger came today! WOOHOOOO!!!

Yes, you will be happy with it. Durability and quality are evident and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wear it out.

If you're looking for a good trainer and have enough for the badger, get it.

2008-10-23 9:01 PM

User image

Georgia Tech
Just placed the order tonight. Hopefully I'll get it next week. I can't wait!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mag Trainer or Fluid Trainer? Rss Feed