Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-03 9:52 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Xterra wetsuit rant

Originally posted by axteraa

My Xterra ripped a lot.  So does my Huub.

I've seen some seam issues with a couple of HUUB suits......but we haven't had any yet.  I know they shipped new suits almost immediately.

2015-09-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I wonder how Sue's wetsuit has held up in the seven years since she started this thread.

Mark

2015-09-03 10:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

***Edit*** Oops...didn't notice this was an old thread. I didn't mean to beat a dead horse.  Please disregard my original post below***

I am surprised by the responses on this thread.  Everything that I was told before I got a wet suit was that any wet suit that you buy you should expect to rip at some point.  I was told that the higher quality the wet suit you own the more likely you are to rip it.  The reason for this is that high quality wet suit manufactures work really hard on research to provide the most flexibility possible which means thinner materials in high end wet suits than what a low quality wet suit has.  

If the rip is not at a seam then it is NOT Xterra's fault because it is not the result of a material defect nor from poor workmanship.  I ripped my Xterra wet suit after only one time in the water (so...my 2nd OWS was without a wetsuit in 60 deg water which went just fine).  Yes I was devastated, but I didn't think that my tear was anything out of the ordinary.  I did NOT cut it on my finger nails either.  It turns out that when the suit is out  being stretched (i.e. trying to pull it up rather than work it up slowly) that it can tear with no finger nails or other sharp edges required.   I figured that rips were just a result or normal use of a wet suit.   I got some neoprene cement and repair the suit.  I figured that was what everyone does.  It took all of 5 minutes to repair and was as good as new.  The repaired suit performs just as well as it did when it was new and had no rip.   The 3 inch repair is something that I am pretty sure that only I can seen on the suit.  

So, while I too tore a 1 week old Xterra Wet suit, despite not touching it with my fingernails, and can empathize with the disparaging feeling of having a hole in a brand spanking new $200 suit.  I am surprised that the everyone is bashing Xterra though.  Tears happen!  The OP said that she tried on the Xterra when it arrived and it fit great.  If she got it on once and it didn't have the seams coming undone, or cuts, etc then this sounds like a rip from normal ware to me.  Repair it and move on.  

Oaky...going to hide under my rock now.  I am guessing that everyone will tell me I am a bad person for daring to say that ripping a high quality wetsuit is something that happens with everyday use and that the Manufactures should not be expected to warranty rips that are not in the wet suit when they ship it out nor when the user receives it. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-09-03 10:22 AM
2015-09-03 10:34 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

***Edit*** Oops...didn't notice this was an old thread. I didn't mean to beat a dead horse.  Please disregard my original post below**

I am not sure it's about being an old post. Maybe the latest person to add to it did what's right and did a search before starting a new thread.

Reality is that people found the quality sub-par 7 years ago and they still do today. It's probably normal, Xterra is a low cost wetsuit. Maybe we should just accept that you get what you pay for.

To your comments, there are different qualities of Neoprene. I suspect Xterra is just lower quality. That's ok, it's a third of the price of some wetsuits out there.

I bought a cheap wetsuit and i got what I paid for. Like I said before it's really easy to repair. I would have been really pissed to pay 3x the price and have it tear everytime I look at it.

This year I shared a condo for a weekend with 2 guys that bought their Xterra exactly one year ago. They saw me fixing mine and asked if i could fix theirs. There must have been at least 10 rips in each. And these are wetsuits that were worn maybe 4 times. All Xterras. You will not see that with Rokas or other higher quality suits.
2015-09-03 10:44 AM

User image

Pro

***Edit*** Oops...didn't notice this was an old thread. I didn't mean to beat a dead horse.  Please disregard my original post below***

I am surprised by the responses on this thread.  Everything that I was told before I got a wet suit was that any wet suit that you buy you should expect to rip at some point.  I was told that the higher quality the wet suit you own the more likely you are to rip it.  The reason for this is that high quality wet suit manufactures work really hard on research to provide the most flexibility possible which means thinner materials in high end wet suits than what a low quality wet suit has.  

If the rip is not at a seam then it is NOT Xterra's fault because it is not the result of a material defect nor from poor workmanship.  I ripped my Xterra wet suit after only one time in the water (so...my 2nd OWS was without a wetsuit in 60 deg water which went just fine).  Yes I was devastated, but I didn't think that my tear was anything out of the ordinary.  I did NOT cut it on my finger nails either.  It turns out that when the suit is out  being stretched (i.e. trying to pull it up rather than work it up slowly) that it can tear with no finger nails or other sharp edges required.   I figured that rips were just a result or normal use of a wet suit.   I got some neoprene cement and repair the suit.  I figured that was what everyone does.  It took all of 5 minutes to repair and was as good as new.  The repaired suit performs just as well as it did when it was new and had no rip.   The 3 inch repair is something that I am pretty sure that only I can seen on the suit.  

So, while I too tore a 1 week old Xterra Wet suit, despite not touching it with my fingernails, and can empathize with the disparaging feeling of having a hole in a brand spanking new $200 suit.  I am surprised that the everyone is bashing Xterra though.  Tears happen!  The OP said that she tried on the Xterra when it arrived and it fit great.  If she got it on once and it didn't have the seams coming undone, or cuts, etc then this sounds like a rip from normal ware to me.  Repair it and move on.  

Oaky...going to hide under my rock now.  I am guessing that everyone will tell me I am a bad person for daring to say that ripping a high quality wetsuit is something that happens with everyday use and that the Manufactures should not be expected to warranty rips that are not in the wet suit when they ship it out nor when the user receives it. 

Whoever told you the bolded part (I'm guessing a wetsuit salesman for a 200.00  wetsuit, which is on the VERY low end of cost for a decent suit) flat out lied to you.  Yes, tears happen, but they actually happen far less frequently than you think.  Our suits are worn ALOT, one tear.  I'm around teenagers who race ALOT, and they don't even tear then that often.  Xterra has been the exception to that.....sorry.

2015-09-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Whoever told you the bolded part (I'm guessing a wetsuit salesman for a 200.00  wetsuit, which is on the VERY low end of cost for a decent suit) flat out lied to you.  Yes, tears happen, but they actually happen far less frequently than you think.  Our suits are worn ALOT, one tear.  I'm around teenagers who race ALOT, and they don't even tear then that often.  Xterra has been the exception to that.....sorry.

I bought an Xterra suit a year ago.  Never raced in it, but bought mostly so I could do an  OWS once a week during the off season in the Gulf of Mexico.  I'm careful with it and have had no problems at all with tearing.   I do think the age to the thread is somewhat relevant as Xterra has likely improved their product quality over the years, regardless of their lower price point.   

Mark

2015-09-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Veteran
Denver area
My trick to prevent fingernail tears is to wear medical (nitrile or latex) gloves when donning your suit. Makes your fingers extra grabby and prevents those pesky nail from causing havoc
2015-09-03 3:35 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Yep it was a salesman.  He however was selling the $600-$800 wetsuits (which I wasn't shopping for).  I got the neoprene cement that he recommended and was on my way.  I am guessing he has never owned an Xterra wetsuit but he had enough experience to give some useful tips on rip repairs and to convince me that everyone had rips in their learning curve with wetsuits.   He may have been lying  but the repair tips worked great, and I did feel better feeling that rips happen to everyone and that they aren't a big deal.  I guess they are a much bigger deal that I surmised.  My bad... 

I have been on this BT forms for about 8 months.  In that time is has been easy to tell which guys have a lot of street smarts (i.e. Left Brain) when it comes to triathlon.  I am not one of them (which I assume is also easy to see).  I come here because if you want to get smarter you have to surround yourself with people that are smarter than you (about everything that Left Brain says I accept as the gospel truth) .  I have to admit that I am really terrified to post my ideas a lot of the time though.  I guess my skin isn't thick enough (no pun intended).    

I read the OP's rant and ensuing comments and though I was replying to them.  I really wouldn't have responded otherwise since the new post were a different tone. Double bad on me.  I really wish I could delete post on here.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-09-03 3:38 PM
2015-09-03 4:57 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Remember what neoprene is.  It is foam rubber.  If you happen to pull on an area that has a small (even hard to see) bubble, it could easily tear.  I would consider this a manufacturer's defect.  But would be hard to prove.  Good for Xterra replacing it.  I have had 3 suits and by far like my xterra sleeveless best.  

2015-09-03 5:59 PM

User image

Pro

Yep it was a salesman.  He however was selling the $600-$800 wetsuits (which I wasn't shopping for).  I got the neoprene cement that he recommended and was on my way.  I am guessing he has never owned an Xterra wetsuit but he had enough experience to give some useful tips on rip repairs and to convince me that everyone had rips in their learning curve with wetsuits.   He may have been lying  but the repair tips worked great, and I did feel better feeling that rips happen to everyone and that they aren't a big deal.  I guess they are a much bigger deal that I surmised.  My bad... 

I have been on this BT forms for about 8 months.  In that time is has been easy to tell which guys have a lot of street smarts (i.e. Left Brain) when it comes to triathlon.  I am not one of them (which I assume is also easy to see).  I come here because if you want to get smarter you have to surround yourself with people that are smarter than you (about everything that Left Brain says I accept as the gospel truth) .  I have to admit that I am really terrified to post my ideas a lot of the time though.  I guess my skin isn't thick enough (no pun intended).    

I read the OP's rant and ensuing comments and though I was replying to them.  I really wouldn't have responded otherwise since the new post were a different tone. Double bad on me.  I really wish I could delete post on here.  

1. my wife is smarter than me, ask her, so are my teenage kids.....you can ask them but they won't listen

2. you should just post whatever you want and not worry about it

3. delete nothing.....it's all good for conversation

4. salesmen suck

5. if we rip a wetsuit I'm hitting you up for how to repair it

6. This post is a formatting nightmare

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-03 6:05 PM
2015-09-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: Socks

I'm glad you're getting taken care of. I was actually bit surprised by the initial response.

I bought an Xterra, because it was the right price for a weekend warrior like me.
Nary a problem with it so far. I went with them because of customer service reviews I'd seen, particularly regarding sizing returns on the initial order.
While I have used another brand once, in fact the particular suit (not just the model) may or may not have been mentioned in this thread and said 'damage' may or may not have been my doing. It felt like it did a better job at what it's supposed to do.
But not enough to warrant the extra cash outlay, again for a weekend warrior like me.

Xterra seems to cater to a somewhat narrow section of a rather narrow element of the sporting community. One, where there's a crudton of word of mouth. Not surprised, in the end, though that you were taken care of.

I'm more than happy with mine.

2015-09-07 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I've raced for 5-6 years with a $99 Xterra Vortex (I think that's the model). I just raced 70.3 Worlds with it. I wish the thing would tear so I could go buy a new fancy one. But alas it goes on and on.
2015-09-08 1:53 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by smoom I've raced for 5-6 years with a $99 Xterra Vortex (I think that's the model). I just raced 70.3 Worlds with it. I wish the thing would tear so I could go buy a new fancy one. But alas it goes on and on.

I bought my Xterra used although the previous owner said he only used it twice.  I had not read anything about do's and don'ts regarding putting it on and I haven't had a single issue... I'm a big strong guy and if my suit was as delicate as what some posters have said theirs is/was, I'm certain I would have ripped it 50 times by now.  I'm honestly perplexed by how fragile some people's suits sound when compared to how I manhandle mine pulling it on with ZERO issues...

I'm not disputing the rips nor disputing claims the rips weren't due to a fingernail etc., just throwing my experience with Xterra into the mix..

In other industries there are batch codes associated with production in order to trace failures back, possibly for recalls.  I'm wondering if perhaps some of the posters who have experienced ripping problems got suits from a bad batch??  

I'm just throwing out the idea because I would classify my Xterra as bulletproof, not fragile in any way.... 

2015-09-08 2:25 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Hell, since we're keeping an old thread alive...

I've been racing since 2004 and only used Xterra.  That might sound like a ringing endorsement of the brand, but it's really because the seams under the arms keep ripping ( I must generate too much power!!!) and they keep replacing under warranty.  Only bought two suits in that time, one original and then one out of warranty.  My current one is all ripped to shreds, did Alcatraz with it this year and the water was pouring into the suit under my arms.  Add to that a poorly reasoned decision to try to put the suit on at nationals last year when I was hot and sweaty resulting in numerous fingernail holes that grew into actual holes, and my wetsuit is more holes than suit....

I've always considered xterra to be a two or three season suit given the price point.

Will probably be looking at a different brand for next year though.

2015-09-08 2:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by ChrisM

Hell, since we're keeping an old thread alive...

I've been racing since 2004 and only used Xterra.  That might sound like a ringing endorsement of the brand, but it's really because the seams under the arms keep ripping ( I must generate too much power!!!) and they keep replacing under warranty.  Only bought two suits in that time, one original and then one out of warranty.  My current one is all ripped to shreds, did Alcatraz with it this year and the water was pouring into the suit under my arms.  Add to that a poorly reasoned decision to try to put the suit on at nationals last year when I was hot and sweaty resulting in numerous fingernail holes that grew into actual holes, and my wetsuit is more holes than suit....

I've always considered xterra to be a two or three season suit given the price point.

Will probably be looking at a different brand for next year though.

I think after nearly 20 posts it's no longer an old thread...

2021-05-18 2:42 PM

This same thing happened to me. Except the wetsuit came in the bag with a rip already in it! It is in the seam. The arm wasn't sewn all the way. I sent them pics clearly showing the unsewn seam, but Xterra is claiming I created the rip. Which is hilarious because the photos clearly show it was a manufacturers defect. It is sad for a company to act so ridiculous in an area where there is strong competition. I am just moving on and moving forward with a another company who also makes great wetsuits, also has good sales, and actually stands behind their wetsuits.

Edited by alabamatri 2021-05-18 2:48 PM

2021-05-20 10:54 AM
in reply to: kagoscuba

nice reply
2021-08-09 2:50 PM

It's unbelievable how Xterra still survives with the level of customer support they offer. I had a Vortex wetsuit I've been using for a while but it's too small for me. I contacted them to understand if I should buy a new one a size larger but they said the new models were larger so I should go with the Small again. It ended up being too small again (I also looked at the sizing chart on their website before purchasing). I returned the product (had to pay the freight) and they now say they found a tear and won't replace the item by a Medium size or send a refund. It's their word against mine... Nothing I can do but pay another freight to get back a brand new but ripped product that does not fit me anyway.

I guess it's time to move on to another brand with better reviews overall...

Edited by Fcamargo 2021-08-09 2:52 PM
2021-12-13 1:12 PM
in reply to: Fcamargo

I ordered 2 Xterra suits and fully planned on returning the one that didn't fit.
I was being very carful not to tear it, and I didn't, and now after sending the one back that was too small, Xterra is claiming that I can't return a torn wet suit for a refund.

It wasn't torn, I laid it on the kitchen counter and went over it thoroughly picking any bits of lint off of it before I packaged it up.

They are offering me 75 dollars that I can use on their web site.
They also said that they would send me photos of the tears in the suit _ I'm still waiting on that...

My advise to anyone sending back a suit to Xterra, take loads of photos of every square inch of the suit showing that there are no rips or defects.
I think they claim rips just as a matter of routine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra wetsuit rant Rss Feed  

of 3