Event Power
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 32m 14s
Overall Rank = 303/401
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 50/57
Pre-race routine:

Got in to town Friday evening, checked in, and tried to get the kids to bed. Ha! 10PM we finally put them in the car and drove around until they passed out.

Saturday was spent enjoying Montauk with the family. Went to the lighthouse and drove the bike and run courses, then some more since the kids fell asleep. Met up with DreamChaser and mscotthall from BT and their families for dinner and ice cream. Good times and everyone got along great, including the kids, and the wives all held the same view that their husbands are nuts. They're right. Back to the hotel for bed. 11mo old refused to give in so it was back in the car at 9:30 until she passed out.
Event warmup:

Jawboning and transition set up. Forgot to take my planned gel 20 min. prior to start.

Helped a fellow triathlete fix the broken zipper on his wetsuit. Good for Karma, according to Earl.
Swim
  • 44m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had no worries about the swim. I knew even though it was my first time at this distance straight, I'd be fine. I knew I was slow, but I've only swam three times since July, so I didn't want tired arms. Came out smiling and fresh. I figured it would be about 45 minutes, so I was right on.
What would you do differently?:

See later
Transition 1
  • 04m 40s
Comments:

REALLY took my time here. Trouble getting the wetsuit off, took the time to throw on a long sleeved shirt (smart move).

I really didn't care this time around, just wanted to not forget anything.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The plan was to keep my HR around 155, which I did for all but the hills, where I was up to the 170s, spiking at 180. Used the descents to build speed and drop HR right back down. Felt great until about mile 50, when I noticed my legs were losing strength. Went through 1 2/3 bottles of 3 scoop perpetuem and about 3-4 gels. Everything flowed nicely unless I drank with HR over 165, then I would feel it backing up until HR was back down for a minute or two. Tough and hilly, but I really enjoyed the ride. Even in the rain.

At the time, absolutely nothing. A quick look at my logs will show my limited saddle time. This was my first attempt at the distance, and I've only had three rides over thirty miles (32,35,50).
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Came in slow, and took my time again. Changed my socks. It seemed like a good idea because they were soaked, but I was about to step out in to torrential downpours. Made no difference. Grabbing a gel flask was key.
Run
  • 2h 22m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were dead. The lack of mileage in my training was patently obvious at this point. I felt like Herman Munster trudging along, they were just wooden.

Lap one messed with my head a bit. I never though of quitting, but I began questioning whether I would try IM or even another HIM. Stupid thoughts out there in the rain. Took in water at the aid stations and hit the gel flask occasionally. I laid off the coke because I didn't know how I would react.

Lap two didn't start well. I walked my longest stretch, about two minutes, then began the 10:30 shuffle. At the first aid station, I started with Coke. Five minutes later, I felt awesome, and took a cup every chance I could get. My legs still said no to the steepest climbs, so I walked them. Other than that I was on autopilot. Me and another guy in my AG kept swapping a lead, but on mile 11 the hills were gone and it was flat or downhill to the finish. I said F it and kicked up the pace, dropped him and never saw him again. Last two miles were around 9:30. I felt better and looser running faster (that's my pace for long runs in training) though I couldn't have done it for very long.

Finished strong, running past my cheering ladies (and mscotthall and his cheering ladies) in to the chute with my arms raised for the finishing photo.

Did I mention it rained?

See later
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around Montauk and ate pizza. Packed up and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. My logs show this clearly. Long runs and bikes were very few an far between, and the race was about 8% of my total volume for the year. I signed up for this race later in the season and had little time to build up volume. I should have looked more closely at my schedule and noticed that time would be scarce in the last six weeks before the race. I beat myself up about it in the weeks leading up to the race, all for no reason.

I did the absolute best I could with my training volume. For the first time I ran my own race, not paying attention to what others were doing, and paid all the attention to ME. It worked out great. I finished about where I thought I would should my body hold up on race day. I never pushed myself, just swam, rode, and ran to finish. Keeping my head and racing my race was crucial and I'm VERY happy with the way I did that. Going out fast and chasing faster racers would have doomed me in the end. I didn't and it didn't. It wasn't a fast race, but it was a smart race.

Event comments:

I was very happy with the location, the way the race was run, and the number of volunteers for such a large course.

I can't forget a very special thank you to my three ladies, Kim, Reilly, and Kelsey, who stood out in the downpour to cheer me on.

I will do it again next year. I pushed myself a little too far for my first season, but I'm glad I did. Twelve months (hell, six months ago) I'd have called you crazy if you said I'd be writing this report. With adequate training volume over the next year, I don't think a 5:45 is out of my reach for 2009. Time to get some miles in these legs...

Last updated: 2008-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:28 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 0/401
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vengeance full
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:40
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:55 | 56 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop. Hilly at parts, flat at others. Umm... WET?
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:22:13 | 13.1 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: HILLY
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: MightyMan Montauk

2008-10-06 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1720982

User image

Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk

Congrats Half Ironman!! 

2008-10-06 2:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Great job, you have come along way in one year, race sounded miserably cold and wet..good job sticking it out. I think 5.45 for next year is a realistic goal for you...Great job!!!
2008-10-06 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Great job out there -if it gives you any consulation, I trained like a maniac and still only finished at 6:57 -so you really rocked considering your schedule and training. I think you did great and... as it seems you and I are the newest to the HIM family on this BT thread -CONGRATS and here's to next season! Sorry I missed ya in Montauk -
2008-10-06 4:54 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Charlie, great job yesterday. You looked strong coming into the finish. You have a lot to be proud of... finishing you first HIM is a huge accomplishment. Great job.

It was a lot of fun getting the families together. Madison is still talking about her friend Riley. We'll have to do it again.
2008-10-07 10:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
You should be very proud with the results.  One of the hardest things to do is to race within one's self.  You knew how much training you had coming in, you had a game plan to finish and you executed.  Enough said.  Plenty of folks train harder, push harder on race day and blow up.  Congrats on your race!!!

2008-10-07 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
Awesome race. I hate training in the rain, and as a result dislike racing in the rain. How was the water this time of year on that side of the sound? and was it raining during the swim?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Montauk Rss Feed