General Discussion Race Reports! » Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McCormick, South Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 43m 42s
Overall Rank = 3/61
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 5am, drank 2 cups of coffee and ate a bagel with creme cheese. Picked up SuzanneS and we drove to the race site, 2 hours away. I ate a clif bar at 7am on the way to the race. Chitchatted lots, but still felt a bit nervous as we pulled into the park.
Event warmup:

Body-marking, setting up transition and squeezing into my friggin' wetsuit was all the warm-up I did. I joked with my rack mates, joked with people walking down to the lake. Joke waiting for the start. I was just so happy to be racing again after being out with ITB and various other running issues since June.
Swim
  • 28m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim is faster than this. There is a quarter-mile adventure to get from the lake to the transition area. I just cruised on the first 600m. That was my warm up. I didn't find anyone to draft, so I just went nicely all by myself. The Beach Boys "Don't Worry Baby" was playing in my head during the swim. WTH? I don't even own any Beach Boys stuff! Caught up with the men just past the first turn. Made it through them without issue. Picked up the pace during the last 600m and went to bi-lateral breathing. I had some serious waves coming in to the beach. They went completely over my head so it was nice to breath each side. I didn't drink the lake that way. Got into the novice wave of the sprint race in the last 200m. Had to dodge a lot of breaststrokers. Luckily, no one landed their kick in my face. After getting out of the lake and starting the obstacle course to transition, my friend Christina passes me and says "thanks for the draft!" I smiled and didn't rush for fear of tripping and falling cuz I knew I had her on the bike. They had two volunteers hoist us over a 2 foot ravine, then we ran up a sidewalk, up cement steps, across a road and finally made it to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I just cruise the swim. I don't think it's worth the extra effort at this time to try to go faster. I would gain only seconds. Not gonna help me out much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I really need to find out the best way to get my wetsuit off. I spent so much time hopping up and down trying to get it off my ankles. This is only my third race with it and I know speed will come with practice.

Get my wetsuit off faster.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 9s
  • 28 miles
  • 20.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I love the bike. I get downright giddy when I ride. I put the 11/23 cassette on my Zipp 404's. I like the 11/23 better than the 12/27. I don't why, but I do. And this is a pretty hilly course, but no steep climbs. So I just rode fast and comfortable. I passed and passed and passed at the start because I was in the middle of not only the international racers, but also the sprint distance peeps. Had a close call with a van that pulled out in front of me and two others. The guy closest to the van actually hit the side of it with his fist and yelled at the driver. The van pulled off the side of the road and I put the hammer down because I just wanted to get away from all the congestion. I rode a hard, aggressive pace until I passed the sprint distance turn-around then I relaxed a bit and settled into a good rhythm. I stayed aero for the most part. On one pretty long hill, I sat up and just spun. I passed a guy on a beautiful Orbea with a full disc in the back. He was in aero and huffing and puffing with a low cadence. I'm usually a gear masher, but compared to him, I felt like Lance Armstrong! He came around me on a short descent and we cat and moused quite a bit until the next climb when I passed him and he didn't come around me again. I got passed by three guys on the ride. That was it. Well. One female collegiate came around me as we were entering the park, but I passed her back on a climb and held her off until we arrived in T2.

Not carry a bottle on my downtube. I didn't even finish my aerobottle. Just added weight and drag sitting there on my frame.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I ran passed my rack and had to back up. Other than that, uneventful T2.

Not pass my rack. I hadn't raced since June so I guess I was a bit rusty:)
Run
  • 51m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My biggest worry going into this race was the fact that I hadn't done any bricks. When I came out of T2, I ran out with Orbea guy. He looked at me and then paused. I mean actually stopped for a second on the road. He said "You are fast!" This made my millenium. I was really happy with his compliment. He was 27 years old and tall and lean. I started running well and immediately passed a guy. I felt really good. I was smiling. My hip did not hurt. Not one teensy-eensy bit. I was chugging along in my happy place. I see Orbea guy coming into view again. He is grabbing his side and clearly in pain. I run up beside him and tell him to relax and breathe out forcefully. "Don't worry, it will release, just blow". He tells me he really is a godd runner. I tell him I figured that because he has that runner-look about him. He said he did a 43 minute 10K just 2 weeks ago. I told him my PR was 51 and change. He smiles and says he's feeling better. I say "Run a great 5K and you'll be back in business". He takes off with a beautiful stride and is on his way. And I'm at mile 4 and still having fun. I shuffle up the big hill to the little spur of road that our turn-around is on. I see my friend Brad and cheer him on. Next I see my coach and shout out to her. I can tell she is surprised to see me. I pass a couple of people. That makes three for this run so far. I jog around the turn cone and can't believe I'm halfway there. This is a slight downhill on the course and I take full advantage of it and turn my legs over faster. I try to really go on the big downhill, but start getting a sidestitch. I realize I'm holding my breath. That's the swimmer in me trying to push it. I correct myself and breath heavily and often. No more sidestitch! I pass two more people. I cannot express how happy I am out here running. The weather is glorious. A little breeze, mainly overcast with the sun peaking out every now and then. We run past a golf course. The trees are starting to change color. Life is good. Morrissey's "Girl Least Likely To" is playing in my head. Some of the words to that song go "So I sit and I smile and I say well done to the girl least likely to" That is me. Not a runner, but here I am, firmly in with the collegiates who's wave started 6 minutes before mine. I feel great. The last hill is tiring, but still I run. When I crest it, I give everything I have left and run as fast as possible on the flat area to the finish.

Run faster, of course. The only times I felt stressed and gaspy were running up the steep hills. I believe the key to me running fast is to stay relaxed and calm. When I hurt and my HR goes up, I get tense and actually slow down. I still haven't quite figured out the happy medium between pushing myself to the limit and staying relaxed. But this is a PR for me for a 10K. It even beat my stand-alone PR. I still can't believe it because I felt so good and not in distress. I really can't believe it!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked, did a couple of quick stretches then found the port'o'pot quickly. I didn't drink at all on the run and I only drank half my aerobottle on the bike, but I must have been well-hydrated, cuz I had to go!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not as much run miles as I would have liked coming into this race. My bike fitness saved me.

Event comments:

I had no expectations for this race. I was incredibly happy to be healthy enough to participate. I had fun! Lots and lots of fun! I really missed racing while I was healing and I just enjoy the experience so much. I love being able to talk and joke with other athletes, I love hanging out at the awards presentation with my friends. It makes all the training so worth it. I am hopelessly addicted. This was my last triathlon of the season. I was 3rd overall female and first in my age group. I'd say I went out with a Bang!

Last updated: 2008-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 8/61
Performance:
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: Triangular loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:09 | 28 miles | 20.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 1/61
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 28 mile rolling hills. Nothing horribly steep, but constantly rolling.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:04 | 06.21 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 21/61
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-12 8:50 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon

2008-10-12 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1737399

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon
What a fantastic way to end the season.  Astounding.  Congratulations on a terrific race. 
2008-10-12 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

What a race, Pam!!! 

2008-10-12 9:51 PM

Regular
SC
You freakin rocked it, girl! Way to go, and way to finish out the season. Stay healthy next year, k? It's good to see a friendly face at more races than this year.
2008-10-12 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

You are such a ROCKSTAR!!! I had so much fun riding down and back with you! It was truly an awesome day, you gave it your all and wow, what results did you get!  Stay healthy this winter... cause next year you are gonna kick some SCTS tail! 

2008-10-13 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great job!! Wow, you knocked it out of the park--it's all that work and smart healing you've been doing! Congrats on an awesome way to top off the '08 season!!

2008-10-13 1:36 PM

New user

Great Race! I hope someday to race as fast.
2008-10-15 1:35 AM

User image

Melon Presser

You really are a crazy biker chick.

Super, super, super job and what a triumphant end to your season. Congratulations on the race and the placing, but most of all, for all the daily hard work you put in to get there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon Rss Feed