General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions on transissions - Newbie stuff of course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-24 8:34 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Questions on transissions - Newbie stuff of course
OK, so I'm going to swim, exit the water (hopefully), not with a lifeguard and I make my way to T1. After wrestling my beached whale-like suit off and take my 50lb., 10 year old road bike off the rack. What happens to the stuff I leave behind?

Then if the Gods are still having a good time wacthing me punish myself into T2, what happens to my bike (and other stuff), when I start crawling....er running to the finish line?

Do I need to come back (in total exaustion & elation), to pick up my stuff?
Is there a history of stuff dissapearing if someone gets to my stuff before I do?
My motorcycle....bicycle!! How do I know nobody is going to mess with it while I'm on the road begging the Gods to finish me off already?

Can you tell I've never done a triathlon before? This will be my fist one and already getting butterflies in total excitement. http://www.nytc.org/calender.cfm(Harriman State Park 06/12)

Thanks,
Eddie

2005-02-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: #121815

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Questions on transissions - Newbie stuff of course

There are volunteers at the entrance and exit of the trainsition point(s), and typically once the race starts, you won't be allowed to enter without your race number.  Once the race starts, the hard part is finding your spot - but everyone will be running in and out, and typically thefts do not happen then.

Sometimes, stuff does disappear (I have not lost anything yet).  I would presume that it disappears while everyone is enjoying the post-finish line beverages (read: beer).  To help prevent theft, you can immediately put your stuff back in the car, then go party.  Unless you are the very last person in, you'll have plenty of time before the awards are called out.

If you're really worried about it, recruit a friend/family member to hang out near the T1 and keep an eye on your stuff (remember, they won't be allowed IN T1, but they could watch from the sidelines).  If you station them near the exits, they can hand you water or a gel/bar if needed.

2005-02-24 9:22 AM
in reply to: #121834

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

joeinco - 2005-02-24 7:11 AM If you station them near the exits, they can hand you water or a gel/bar if needed.

Be careful with this part....USAT does not allow help from anyone who is not a volunteer. 

There's a rack for your bike and you'll have a little space next to it.  bring a small towel to lay your stuff out on.  I also have never had anything stolen!  Leave your wallet and valuable stuff in the (locked) car! 

2005-02-24 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Everything lays there in a messy pile. I usually try to throw my wetsuit over the bike rack just to keep it from getting walked on or ground into the pavement by less delicate souls. After the bike, my helmet usually lays on my aerobars, my bike shoes land wherever. I've never had anything tampered with, nor have I heard of anyone having anything stolen. The best races close transition areas to all but racers. At one race they also matched the race number we were wearing with the number on the bike to make sure we had our bike. Large races sometimes even require you to bring your bike down the night before the race and leave it in the transition area overnight, but they will guard the area all night.
2005-02-24 10:32 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for your responses all.
2005-02-24 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

All your stuff does sit in a pile (but somewhat organized, with bike racks...) until you go pick it up after the race... You will be amazed to see the expensive bikes in the transition area... no one will be after yours... (A fact in which I also take solace!) There are no non-triathletes allowed in the transition area, so no one should be walking off with your other equipment... and all other triathletes should already have a bike, some sunglasses, etc etc... no reason to filch yours.

There should be some sort of check point making sure your helmet number and your body number and your bike number all match, also. The amount of security depends on the size of your race, though...

Good Luck! You'll do great!

Whiz.... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions on transissions - Newbie stuff of course Rss Feed