Canada
14C / 57F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 34m 23s
Overall Rank = 444/2041
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 46/133
Pre-race routine:

Got over to the Island on Saturday morning with Leah. Nice relaxed ride over (I hid in the backseat to save the $13 on the way over...hehehe) We drove over to Alison and Bryce's place, had brunch at Pluto's then Leah and I zipped over to teh Race Expo for package pick up and look at all the swag. Got there just in time as the line up was HUGE when we left...we walked right in with no one in the line when we arrived! Sweet! As usual I partied all night before the race and had a number of beers and glasses of wine with dinner (spagetti!) and lived to regret my pre race plan yet again.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 0600 with a pounding headache (hangover?) and wandered down to the race start to see all the Halfers off for their race. Walked around, stayed warm and chatted with some of my friends that were running the Marathon as well.
Run
  • 00m
  • 42 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

My plan for this run was to take it easy. There is a first for everything. My legs were killing me and I did not feel at all like running a marathon. I decided to run with a buddy of mine and take it easy. The race started and we chatted and had a nice easy relaxed pace...slow but relaxed. At the 8 KM marker Mike told me to go and actualy stopped running so I would take off...and off I went. Sprinting and passing 100's of people. I felt like a retarded wild horse. I knew I had to stop but passing people feels so good! After 2.5 KMS I calmed down and found my pace. I was still passing people but as I got up to my pace group I felt more comfy. I had no time goals but then I remembered that I had 2 Super Secret goals 1) DO NOT STOP RUNNING and 2) DON'T FEEL LIKE I WAS HIT BY A TRUCK AFTER THE RUN. Happy to say that both goals were obtained. After almost no real training for this marathon, I think my time was pretty good. I had a thought to chase sub 3:30 but then I thought that it would be better to get the secret goals and leave the time goal for the Vancouver Marathon...so that is what I did!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was (oh, wait, I wouldn't drink so much alcohol the night before putting my body through a 3.5 hour beating!) the most laid back run / race I have done to date!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Limped through the food tent, walked back to the place I was staying, showered, called Leah, a whole bunch of us went for beer and burgers, then off to the ferry for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I love this question! What makes you think I CAN go any faster than what I put in!?!? Very condecending question.
The inability to NOT drink beer and have two helpings of pasta and potatoe salad the night before!

Last updated: 2008-09-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 42 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/133
Overall: 0/2041
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-14 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: Royal Victoria Marathon

2008-10-14 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1741884

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-10-14 2:07 PM

Subject: RE: Royal Victoria Marathon

I still think you should've drank the beer on the course. Would have made you perform faster.

*edited to add "on the course" as I know Haz drinks beer at all other times.

Edited by Vaiza 2008-10-14 2:08 PM
2008-10-14 11:08 PM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Nice, sounds like you had a good time! Well, other than the run part....but the rest sounds great - beer, pasta...beer, burgers!
2008-10-15 9:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Victoria

Haha Great job on the secret goals

I remember a time in my freshmen year where I drank FAR too much and ended up running 13km back to my house from the party, after being "attacked" on the dance floor by a really "uppity" rookie swimmer girl.

Regardless, I am living proof that drinking obscenely helps you race better.

Follow Vaiza's advice

Great job though Chris!!!

2008-10-19 1:12 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Great job on the laid back run! Maybe My super secret goal is too run like you! Minus the drinking of course!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Royal Victoria Marathon Rss Feed