SWEAT Running Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 52s
Overall Rank = 12/38
Age Group = 41-50
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Airmatress in tent got deflated by 3 year old at 2 am 8(. Power bar, gator aid, porta potty.
Event warmup:

Lite stretching and jog.
Run
  • 2h 55m 52s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my gosh soo steep and unsure footing buth up and down for 16.7 miles. Turned ankle moderately 2 hours into the run. Didn't hurt too much, but made me a bit more cautious on decents. I carried my own gator aid and gu because there were only 2 aid stations 4-5 miles appart (out and back makes that 4) I was worried about the heat as it was supposed to get to 90 and a bit far between water stations. It worked for me in that I was able to hit Gu and and chase it with drink at convienent times. 1 gu at 1 hour and then every 30 min there after. Nutrition/hydration was perfect, avoided side cramps.
What would you do differently?:

Just more training on hills and more overall run training. My longest run ever was 15 miles, last week. So this was farther than I have ever gone, Yay. Missed the podium by less than 2 minutes on first go at this distance and with those mean hills. I am still not sure, maybe I would go with the course beverages next time, it only got to 80 by the time I was done, probably would have been good enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Leggs a bit shakey at the end with all the hills, walked for 5-10 min, massaged and lite stretch, then froze them in the icy 40's F water and decided to not tag a swim on the end. I double fisted water soada, and then well again water soda, and well 1 more energy drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall run endurance at this distance and not enough experience running down/up massive hills at break neck speed on way poor footing.

Event comments:

Started on time, everyone was friendly, trail was well marked. One more water station that you could hit going out and back would have been perfect, as it was, was a bit lite. The aid stations were well stocked, however, with water, soda, gator aid, grapes, cookies nice goodies best I have seen on a run event... or any event for aid stations. Post race was good too, lots of drink options, ice cold, grapes yum, chicken noodle soop, and the standard fare. Awards were presented punctually and race results posted. Very friendly folks putting it on and running in it. The event also sponsored Cash awards for competing k-8th graders for their cross country teams and track teams for equipment (they ran 1.35 miles). There was also an 8mile and a 50k run. Overall very happy with the event and awsome views of the lake from way up in the mountains, challegning course.

Last updated: 2008-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:55:52 | 18.64 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 12/38
Performance: Good
1:30 first half, 1:25 2nd half.
Course: Trail run, hills of death. Trail consistency was loose dirt, loose rocks, dry leaves on top, with 4 stream crossings x 2. 10 significant climbs, total feet climbed start to finish, roughly 8800, steep up steep down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-25 9:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Whiskytown Trial Run

2008-10-26 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1766064

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Whiskytown Trial Run
Wow, I cannot wait until I can do trail runs.  Awesome result.  That is a crazy mount of elevation gain, wow.  Good work!
2008-10-26 11:35 PM
in reply to: #1766064

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: Whiskytown Trial Run

Congrats! Great Race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whiskytown Trial Run Rss Feed