of 6

2008-10-31 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1773379

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Spread The Wealth

In regards to redistribution of wealth:

I honestly think that if you took all of the wealth in America today and spread it evenly amongst the population 80% of the rich would be rich again and 80% of the poor would be poor again.  It's mainly a mindset and choices one makes.

Again, I have no proof of this, it's just my interpretation of what I've seen of people on both sides of that 'gap'.

2008-10-31 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1778246

User image

Expert
Barrington Area, IL
D.Z. - 2008-10-31 9:19 AM

Wolff27 - 2008-10-31 9:50 AM

D.Z. - 2008-10-31 7:16 AM

MGray - 2008-10-30 11:54 PM

pengy - 2008-10-30 1:12 AM

MGray - 2008-10-29 11:41 PM

ColdRingo6 - 2008-10-29 1:36 PM

It might.  There are plenty of historical examples of the "have-nots" taking matters into their own hands and forcibly redistributing the wealth of the "haves".  I'd like to think we've matured as a society to the point where we find better solutions than revolution or other violent forms of social unrest, but I think people are capable of some pretty insane things if pushed far enough.

Hurry, we better redistribute all the wealth because someone might come along and want to take it by force. So now we should do it through threats of violence. I don't think so.
If everyone want's everyone to have the same money that looks good on paper, but why should i even start and build the widget company and have all the employees working for me and take out the loans and the risk and get the insurance when in the end i will make no more than any of my employees. So with noone to take these risks for the big paychecks or the big losses depending on how it goes buisness creation stops and our capitalistic economic machine stops. No new buisnesses no new jobs no new monies for you all to tax away from us.

Though I in essence agree with what you are saying, I think your analogy is not very sound. If everyone got paid the same no matter what, then there would be no risk to starting a new business. So with your logic more people would start their own businesses.

I would say, however, that few would go through all the additional work to start a business when they are only going to make as much as one of their employees who works half as hard.

Seriously though, everyone seems to be arguing against everyone getting paid the same thing, but I don't really think that is what anyone is advocating. Not even Obama...

No i agree obama is not arguing for everyone to make the same but several people on this topic are wondering why some people make large salaries and some make little.

I have never heard anyone suggest that it is appropriate for the gubmint to come to your house, take your money, and then go hard it to someone simply becaues they are making less. If someone can show me where that argument has been made, I would appreciate it.

This is exactly what Obama said unfortunately. He is going to take from those who make more and "spread the wealth around". People who pay $0 of federal taxes are going to get a tax credit - basically a hand-out.

I don't care if Democrats or Republicans do this - it is nothing but handing someone who makes less the money of someone who makes more.

This money isn't going 100% to better infrastructure projects and other government uses - it will in a portion go to redistribute the wealth - that is what has gotten people so upset.

Please site your source.

Obama saying it to Joe the Plumber. It has been on CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CNN, MSNBC, 100's of radio stations.

2008-10-31 10:05 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Okay, I just watched the Joe the Plumber clip. It's funny how people hear what they want to hear. It's the reverse of Trickle down economics, no?

And no, Obama didn't say that the gubmint is coming to my house to take my money and give it to the poor, so please don't try to sell that alarmist, reactionary, crazy carp to me.
2008-10-31 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1778347

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
this is about 2 get interesting...
2008-10-31 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1778424

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
tri42 - 2008-10-31 11:42 AM

this is about 2 get interesting...

CRAP! He sucked me in, didn't he? Fudge!!!

Nevermind - I don't want to know the why and the how.
2008-10-31 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1773395

User image

Expert
Scout7 - 2008-10-29 1:31 PM

Here's a better question:

Why does it matter?

After reading 4 pages of threads (again), I think the above post I quoted sums up my feelings most accurately.
I don't ever remember the rules of life stating I deserved anything except the opportunity. Even then, it didn't guarantee a big home, cars, and all the toys. And please, don't say "well some were never given the opportunity". It may not have been dropped in their lap, but at some point there is the realization that there is more out there. At some point it takes ACTION. That's how it was for me. I hardly considered myself impoverished. Little did I know how close we were to not making ends meet. It wasn't until my mom died and I saw monthly income vs bills/mortgage/food, that I realized where I had always been on the economic totem pole. When mom died each of the 4 kids got a whopping $7K from all her years of savings and retirement funds. What's my point? I knew people who had much much more. Huge house, cars, boats, Summer vacations to islands I only knew from geography class..etc. And it never entered my mind that I deserved any of it. Why should we? One income, 4 kids. The math didn't add up. It was what it was. I was ok with no cable tv, one pair of shoes from K-mart (high top converse was a splurge item). 2 pair of jeans per year. No vhs/dvd/cd or even a plain ol' stereo. There was an am/fm clock radio in the kitchen. What's wrong with living like that? NOTHING. People from all income levels have their @#$#ing priorities screwed up. But who is really hurt by stupid spending is obviously the lower income folks. I can afford to buy a dvd or 3 to throw in the van for a long trip or a new ipod, aero bars, an occasional $20 steak. But I'm not scraping by to pay electricity, gas, mortgage, kids necessities...etc. When I see the people who CAN'T make those payments with designer fingernails, $1500 car sound system, nicer clothes than what I wear, jewelry head to toe, cigarettes, alcohol, electronic whatevers for their kids....THAT screams "I don't know how to prioritize!!!". What amount of handout ...er, tax credit, is BO proposing? $2,000? I don't recall....but take all the etoh, cigs, and WANTS people waste $$$ on and I bet it is a lot more than what he is planning on siphoning off of others....Hard decisions have to be made and things have to change...but it isn't the govt's responsibities to change them. I find it ironic it was a democrat who 40+ years ago said "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"....Sure there is a big gap. There has always been a big gap. As long as we live in a democracy and people have the opportunity to excell, not just live like the next person, then it will always exist. Was there a big gap from wealthy to the rest of us back when the Vanderbilt flourished? Or Astor, Carnegie, Rockefeller, and Gould? Sure. And all of those names are from the 1800's to early 1900's....Just deal with it people. Saying HTFU is 'stupid' is well, stupid. At some point if you don't like where you are in life, then it takes some HTFU to change things. But looking at todays polls, that giant flushing sound that is many of our hard earned dollars going down the drain, grows ever louder....

edit to add: To improve my chances of doing "well" I did HTFU. I did my enlistment in the USAF. I was in Desert Storm in '91. I got the GI Bill. I saved $$ like a pack rat. I went to college on my own dime. Worked a part time job. Drove a piece of @#$% car. Wore the same crappy jeans daily. Ate Food Lion brand food (tons of generic raisin bran) Graduated. Then went back to school....and here I am. Still paying off thousands in loans. Am I blowing my own horn? You betcha! The problem is today, it isn't PC to do that. Well if more people took pride in what they did to get them there, there would be less waiting for handouts.

Edited by Rad-Onc PA 2008-10-31 11:28 AM

2008-10-31 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
IF the hand outs were to be used for life changing or altering means then I would probably be more in favor...however, my faith that the funds moving from my pocket to "others" are going to be used for education or to build a better future for those receiving the money is minimal. I am sure there will be a minority of recipients that do something constructive with the money...but I just believe that most will take it and spend it at the nearest Best Buy on an HDTV or on some other non-life changing item..and they will be no better off than before. Thanks to freedom of choice, there is nothing we can do to change this - so I am not in favor of spreading the wealth. If you earn the money, you will spend it more wisely in my opinion
2008-10-31 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1778525

Extreme Veteran
earth

Bcozican - 2008-10-31 11:34 AM IF the hand outs were to be used for life changing or altering means then I would probably be more in favor...however, my faith that the funds moving from my pocket to "others" are going to be used for education or to build a better future for those receiving the money is minimal. I am sure there will be a minority of recipients that do something constructive with the money...but I just believe that most will take it and spend it at the nearest Best Buy on an HDTV or on some other non-life changing item..and they will be no better off than before. Thanks to freedom of choice, there is nothing we can do to change this - so I am not in favor of spreading the wealth. If you earn the money, you will spend it more wisely in my opinion

Yep! That's why I believe a FLAT TAX would be appropriate. You make $20K, you pay 10% income tax of $2K / $200K, you pay $20K. Pay 10% tax on retail, and those moochers will think twice about buying big ticket items, and the hard working who can afford it...well, can afford it. See, it's easy being President

2008-10-31 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1778497

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Rad-Onc PA - 2008-10-31 12:22 PM
Scout7 - 2008-10-29 1:31 PM

Here's a better question:

Why does it matter?

After reading 4 pages of threads (again), I think the above post I quoted sums up my feelings most accurately. I don't ever remember the rules of life stating I deserved anything except the opportunity. Even then, it didn't guarantee a big home, cars, and all the toys. And please, don't say "well some were never given the opportunity". It may not have been dropped in their lap, but at some point there is the realization that there is more out there. At some point it takes ACTION. That's how it was for me. I hardly considered myself impoverished. Little did I know how close we were to not making ends meet. It wasn't until my mom died and I saw monthly income vs bills/mortgage/food, that I realized where I had always been on the economic totem pole. When mom died each of the 4 kids got a whopping $7K from all her years of savings and retirement funds. What's my point? I knew people who had much much more. Huge house, cars, boats, Summer vacations to islands I only knew from geography class..etc. And it never entered my mind that I deserved any of it. Why should we? One income, 4 kids. The math didn't add up. It was what it was. I was ok with no cable tv, one pair of shoes from K-mart (high top converse was a splurge item). 2 pair of jeans per year. No vhs/dvd/cd or even a plain ol' stereo. There was an am/fm clock radio in the kitchen. What's wrong with living like that? NOTHING. People from all income levels have their @#$#ing priorities screwed up. But who is really hurt by stupid spending is obviously the lower income folks. I can afford to buy a dvd or 3 to throw in the van for a long trip or a new ipod, aero bars, an occasional $20 steak. But I'm not scraping by to pay electricity, gas, mortgage, kids necessities...etc. When I see the people who CAN'T make those payments with designer fingernails, $1500 car sound system, nicer clothes than what I wear, jewelry head to toe, cigarettes, alcohol, electronic whatevers for their kids....THAT screams "I don't know how to prioritize!!!". What amount of handout ...er, tax credit, is BO proposing? $2,000? I don't recall....but take all the etoh, cigs, and WANTS people waste $$$ on and I bet it is a lot more than what he is planning on siphoning off of others....Hard decisions have to be made and things have to change...but it isn't the govt's responsibities to change them. I find it ironic it was a democrat who 40+ years ago said "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"....Sure there is a big gap. There has always been a big gap. As long as we live in a democracy and people have the opportunity to excell, not just live like the next person, then it will always exist. Was there a big gap from wealthy to the rest of us back when the Vanderbilt flourished? Or Astor, Carnegie, Rockefeller, and Gould? Sure. And all of those names are from the 1800's to early 1900's....Just deal with it people. Saying HTFU is 'stupid' is well, stupid. At some point if you don't like where you are in life, then it takes some HTFU to change things. But looking at todays polls, that giant flushing sound that is many of our hard earned dollars going down the drain, grows ever louder.... edit to add: To improve my chances of doing "well" I did HTFU. I did my enlistment in the USAF. I was in Desert Storm in '91. I got the GI Bill. I saved $$ like a pack rat. I went to college on my own dime. Worked a part time job. Drove a piece of @#$% car. Wore the same crappy jeans daily. Ate Food Lion brand food (tons of generic raisin bran) Graduated. Then went back to school....and here I am. Still paying off thousands in loans. Am I blowing my own horn? You betcha! The problem is today, it isn't PC to do that. Well if more people took pride in what they did to get them there, there would be less waiting for handouts.

As I've told you before:  Good Man.

2008-10-31 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Does not matter if you make 20,000 a year or 250,000 they both pay the same taxes on 20,000 a year.

If I made $250,000 a year I would be happy since sure maybe on that 50k a year I would be paying 35% taxes on it but I would get keep the other about 35k.  That 35k is more than alot of people make in a year and that is just some of the money I am making. 

2008-10-31 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1778497

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
1000% to Rad-Onc PA's comments above.

If everyone believed as you do, we wouldn't be talking about spreading the wealth around right now.

By the way, if Obama is such a big believer is spreading the wealth around, why do his half-brother and aunt live in abject poverty while he lives in luxury? Just a thought.

Edited by scoobysdad 2008-10-31 1:33 PM

2008-10-31 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1777764

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

MGray - 2008-10-30 10:54 PM
pengy - 2008-10-30 1:12 AM
MGray - 2008-10-29 11:41 PM
ColdRingo6 - 2008-10-29 1:36 PM It might.  There are plenty of historical examples of the "have-nots" taking matters into their own hands and forcibly redistributing the wealth of the "haves".  I'd like to think we've matured as a society to the point where we find better solutions than revolution or other violent forms of social unrest, but I think people are capable of some pretty insane things if pushed far enough.
Hurry, we better redistribute all the wealth because someone might come along and want to take it by force. So now we should do it through threats of violence. I don't think so. If everyone want's everyone to have the same money that looks good on paper, but why should i even start and build the widget company and have all the employees working for me and take out the loans and the risk and get the insurance when in the end i will make no more than any of my employees. So with noone to take these risks for the big paychecks or the big losses depending on how it goes buisness creation stops and our capitalistic economic machine stops. No new buisnesses no new jobs no new monies for you all to tax away from us.
Though I in essence agree with what you are saying, I think your analogy is not very sound. If everyone got paid the same no matter what, then there would be no risk to starting a new business. So with your logic more people would start their own businesses. I would say, however, that few would go through all the additional work to start a business when they are only going to make as much as one of their employees who works half as hard. Seriously though, everyone seems to be arguing against everyone getting paid the same thing, but I don't really think that is what anyone is advocating. Not even Obama...
No i agree obama is not arguing for everyone to make the same but several people on this topic are wondering why some people make large salaries and some make little.

Actually, I think the question was, why is there such a large gap between the rich and the poor in this country (I'm paraphrasing the original post a little.)

And I don't think we'll come to armed revolt in this country, honestly.  But I think we're already seeing a movement toward people wanting to close that gap in the current election - with all the "protect the middle class" or "grow the middle class" speeches you've heard from both sides.  Obama makes no bones about wanting the richest companies and people to bear the largest burden (yes, even more than they do currently), and McCain says it's better to give those people breaks to grow the economy.  It's the whole "make the smaller slices of pie bigger (at the expense of the big pieces)" vs. the "make the whole pie bigger" argument.  I can't tell you which is right, or which is a better strategy, but I can tell you people seem to be paying a little more attention to the former (which is one reason why I think Senator Obama will win the election next Tuesday).

On a somewhat tangential note, it baffles me that people are getting upset about the whole "redistribution of wealth" comment.  We do it every single day in this country.  WIC, welfare, food stamps, housing assistance, you name it.  That's my wealth (and yours if you pay taxes in this country) being redistributed to other people across the country, who hopefully need it (I know there are people who game the system.)  Obama was either courageous enough (or unfortunate enough) to say it out loud, on camera.  For the record, I don't personally agree with the idea of writing someone an income tax refund check if, at the end of the year, their tax rate is 0%.

2008-10-31 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1778800

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI

So now it's "courageous" to promise to spend other people's money when it's also politically advantageous to do so?

Uh-huh.

2008-10-31 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1778770

User image

scoobysdad - 2008-10-31 11:33 AM 1000% to Rad-Onc PA's comments above. If everyone believed as you do, we wouldn't be talking about spreading the wealth around right now. By the way, if Obama is such a big believer is spreading the wealth around, why do his half-brother and aunt live in abject poverty while he lives in luxury? Just a thought.

Duh.  Spread the wealth to Americans only

2008-10-31 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1778770

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

scoobysdad - 2008-10-31 2:33 PM 1000% to Rad-Onc PA's comments above. If everyone believed as you do, we wouldn't be talking about spreading the wealth around right now. By the way, if Obama is such a big believer is spreading the wealth around, why do his half-brother and aunt live in abject poverty while he lives in luxury? Just a thought.

For the same reason my brother is on food stamps and I have 4 bikes.  And even if you believe that he does want to 'spread the wealth' he didn't say give everyone $5 and that's it.

2008-10-31 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1778800

User image

Expert
On a somewhat tangential note, it baffles me that people are getting upset about the whole "redistribution of wealth" comment.  We do it every single day in this country.  WIC, welfare, food stamps, housing assistance, you name it.  That's my wealth (and yours if you pay taxes in this country) being redistributed to other people across the country, who hopefully need it (I know there are people who game the system.)  Obama was either courageous enough (or unfortunate enough) to say it out loud, on camera.  For the record, I don't personally agree with the idea of writing someone an income tax refund check if, at the end of the year, their tax rate is 0%.

I know it's already done. My concern is BO wants to increase the redistribution... I work with indigent patients and medicaid patients all day long and I know in some way I am paying for their care....but, I don't want to pay for more than I already am.
If people who already don't pay taxes are going to get more, I want to see proof as to why you are unable to put yourself into a tax-paying bracket. Where is the accountability? Otherwise, it is just throwing money into a pit. As someone posted earlier, many of these people will do nothing with that money to improve their standing, that is unless having a bigger hdtv to host a super bowl party is an improvement....sorry to sound so glib, but as I said, I deal with people who have "no money" daily. I write them a prescription for a $4 generic medicine and immediately they ask "who's going to pay for this?" I want to say, "the same person that paid for the pack of smokes in your shirt pocket and the alcohol on your breath". But I don't. I send them to our social worker who calls the pharmacy and pays for it from a privately donated fund. Interestingly, that fund is there b/c the patient it is named after was quite wealthy and probably got nice tax breaks in his large company, allowing them to commit to $25,000 a year to us.... Wanna bet huge donations such as that decrease as the wealthy have less to donate??? Anyway, I digress.... As I put in my post above, it's about priorities. The same people who do a poor job with money now will, without any doubt, waste anything given to them in the first 30 days they have it in their hands. It doesn't take courage to say you are going to give $$$ to people who do nothing. Courage would be saying, "If you get a check, you need to prove you are unable to work. You need to be examined by our doctors. If deemed disabled or unable to work in a job that pays more, then and only then will you get a meaninful tax credit. If you CAN work and choose to stay home or in your current bad situation, then that is your choice. No check".... I'd vote for that candidate....but try getting the vote from the people who have shoulder pain from having their hand held out waiting for whatever drops in for the last 20 years...yeah, right.

2008-10-31 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1778925

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Rad-Onc PA - 2008-10-31 2:35 PM

I know it's already done. My concern is BO wants to increase the redistribution... I work with indigent patients and medicaid patients all day long and I know in some way I am paying for their care....but, I don't want to pay for more than I already am.
If people who already don't pay taxes are going to get more, I want to see proof as to why you are unable to put yourself into a tax-paying bracket. Where is the accountability? Otherwise, it is just throwing money into a pit. As someone posted earlier, many of these people will do nothing with that money to improve their standing, that is unless having a bigger hdtv to host a super bowl party is an improvement....sorry to sound so glib, but as I said, I deal with people who have "no money" daily. I write them a prescription for a $4 generic medicine and immediately they ask "who's going to pay for this?" I want to say, "the same person that paid for the pack of smokes in your shirt pocket and the alcohol on your breath". But I don't. I send them to our social worker who calls the pharmacy and pays for it from a privately donated fund. Interestingly, that fund is there b/c the patient it is named after was quite wealthy and probably got nice tax breaks in his large company, allowing them to commit to $25,000 a year to us.... Wanna bet huge donations such as that decrease as the wealthy have less to donate??? Anyway, I digress.... As I put in my post above, it's about priorities. The same people who do a poor job with money now will, without any doubt, waste anything given to them in the first 30 days they have it in their hands. It doesn't take courage to say you are going to give $$$ to people who do nothing. Courage would be saying, "If you get a check, you need to prove you are unable to work. You need to be examined by our doctors. If deemed disabled or unable to work in a job that pays more, then and only then will you get a meaninful tax credit. If you CAN work and choose to stay home or in your current bad situation, then that is your choice. No check".... I'd vote for that candidate....but try getting the vote from the people who have shoulder pain from having their hand held out waiting for whatever drops in for the last 20 years...yeah, right.

That seals it, dude, you've got my vote. Quit your job-- we need people like you in office.

2008-10-31 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1778925

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

Rad-Onc PA - 2008-10-31 2:35 PMI know it's already done. My concern is BO wants to increase the redistribution... I work with indigent patients and medicaid patients all day long and I know in some way I am paying for their care....but, I don't want to pay for more than I already am. If people who already don't pay taxes are going to get more, I want to see proof as to why you are unable to put yourself into a tax-paying bracket. Where is the accountability? Otherwise, it is just throwing money into a pit. As someone posted earlier, many of these people will do nothing with that money to improve their standing, that is unless having a bigger hdtv to host a super bowl party is an improvement....sorry to sound so glib, but as I said, I deal with people who have "no money" daily. I write them a prescription for a $4 generic medicine and immediately they ask "who's going to pay for this?" I want to say, "the same person that paid for the pack of smokes in your shirt pocket and the alcohol on your breath". But I don't. I send them to our social worker who calls the pharmacy and pays for it from a privately donated fund. Interestingly, that fund is there b/c the patient it is named after was quite wealthy and probably got nice tax breaks in his large company, allowing them to commit to $25,000 a year to us.... Wanna bet huge donations such as that decrease as the wealthy have less to donate??? Anyway, I digress.... As I put in my post above, it's about priorities. The same people who do a poor job with money now will, without any doubt, waste anything given to them in the first 30 days they have it in their hands. It doesn't take courage to say you are going to give $$$ to people who do nothing. Courage would be saying, "If you get a check, you need to prove you are unable to work. You need to be examined by our doctors. If deemed disabled or unable to work in a job that pays more, then and only then will you get a meaninful tax credit. If you CAN work and choose to stay home or in your current bad situation, then that is your choice. No check".... I'd vote for that candidate....but try getting the vote from the people who have shoulder pain from having their hand held out waiting for whatever drops in for the last 20 years...yeah, right.

Actually, I agree with a lot of that.  There should be some kind of "means test" to determine who really needs the help (money, etc), and who doesn't.  The problem, I think, is that it would be difficult to create the criteria that work all the time.  In your example above, you mentioned being examined by their doctors to determine whether or not they can work.  I like the idea - but who pays for the doctors visit?  The person who, presumably, already can't afford health care?  Or do we create a system in which you visit the doctor, and if he/she finds you unable to work, it's "free", but if they think you can/should work and not get a disability, you pay?  Definitely not trying to make light of this, just trying to say that actually creating a means test would likely be incredibly complicated, and there would always be someone or some group of people upset with the way it was done.  It doesn't mean we shouldn't try though.

And again, I don't favor providing income tax refund money to people who already pay $0 in income tax either.   With regards to the two current presidential candidates, both their tax plans appear to want to decrease the redistribution coming out of my paychecks, just to differing degrees.  I will definitely conceded that Senator Obama wants to increase the burden on a specific segment of the tax base.

Edit:  I fail speeling.

Edited by ColdRingo6 2008-10-31 3:18 PM
2008-10-31 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1779111

User image

Expert
ColdRingo6 - 2008-10-31 4:17 PM

Rad-Onc PA - 2008-10-31 2:35 PMI know it's already done. My concern is BO wants to increase the redistribution... I work with indigent patients and medicaid patients all day long and I know in some way I am paying for their care....but, I don't want to pay for more than I already am. If people who already don't pay taxes are going to get more, I want to see proof as to why you are unable to put yourself into a tax-paying bracket. Where is the accountability? Otherwise, it is just throwing money into a pit. As someone posted earlier, many of these people will do nothing with that money to improve their standing, that is unless having a bigger hdtv to host a super bowl party is an improvement....sorry to sound so glib, but as I said, I deal with people who have "no money" daily. I write them a prescription for a $4 generic medicine and immediately they ask "who's going to pay for this?" I want to say, "the same person that paid for the pack of smokes in your shirt pocket and the alcohol on your breath". But I don't. I send them to our social worker who calls the pharmacy and pays for it from a privately donated fund. Interestingly, that fund is there b/c the patient it is named after was quite wealthy and probably got nice tax breaks in his large company, allowing them to commit to $25,000 a year to us.... Wanna bet huge donations such as that decrease as the wealthy have less to donate??? Anyway, I digress.... As I put in my post above, it's about priorities. The same people who do a poor job with money now will, without any doubt, waste anything given to them in the first 30 days they have it in their hands. It doesn't take courage to say you are going to give $$$ to people who do nothing. Courage would be saying, "If you get a check, you need to prove you are unable to work. You need to be examined by our doctors. If deemed disabled or unable to work in a job that pays more, then and only then will you get a meaninful tax credit. If you CAN work and choose to stay home or in your current bad situation, then that is your choice. No check".... I'd vote for that candidate....but try getting the vote from the people who have shoulder pain from having their hand held out waiting for whatever drops in for the last 20 years...yeah, right.

Actually, I agree with a lot of that.  There should be some kind of "means test" to determine who really needs the help (money, etc), and who doesn't.  The problem, I think, is that it would be difficult to create the criteria that work all the time.  In your example above, you mentioned being examined by their doctors to determine whether or not they can work.  I like the idea - but who pays for the doctors visit?  The person who, presumably, already can't afford health care?  Or do we create a system in which you visit the doctor, and if he/she finds you unable to work, it's "free", but if they think you can/should work and not get a disability, you pay?  Definitely not trying to make light of this, just trying to say that actually creating a means test would likely be incredibly complicated, and there would always be someone or some group of people upset with the way it was done.  It doesn't mean we shouldn't try though.

And again, I don't favor providing income tax refund money to people who already pay $0 in income tax either.   With regards to the two current presidential candidates, both their tax plans appear to want to decrease the redistribution coming out of my paychecks, just to differing degrees.  I will definitely conceded that Senator Obama wants to increase the burden on a specific segment of the tax base.

Edit:  I fail speeling.

Oh, I know. It is all great in theory. There will always be some that get in the system despite their ability to do actual work. I guess if you were to pin me to how to make it work I would say: If there really is going to be more healthcare provided in some lowered cost or totally free sort of way, then set up a network of physicians, PA's, or NP's who see X number of patients a day and have a set annual salary. Seeing more provides no further income. This would keep healthcare providers from ripping through 100 patients a day for incentives thus decreasing chance they just sign off on a persons disability without a good exam as often happens now and it also keeps the money alloted to the system balanced with no unexpected bonus pay. On a follow up visit, the patient sees a different provider for further care. Sort of a checks and balances system to make sure the first decision on disability is accurate. It would be far from perfect but closer to legit than what we have now. Some may ask what medical provider would want to do that job. My answer would be many. Especially if there is a national health care plan and docs take a major cut in pay to see a ton of patients. I suspect if/when it gets to where pay comes down further than already lowering reimbursements have taken it, many will simply retire or go to another country with an open system.
2008-10-31 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Just curious but what % of income do the rich pay?  It would seem that with their money they could hire an accountant who knows how to "conceal" some of their hard earned money with favorable tax havens, donations to the museum, etc...   What is so wrong about redistributing some of the wealth?   Isn't that what happens in Alaska ever year with the Oil stipend from big oil?   Does each every Alaskan work hard for that money?  I seriously doubt that Senator Obama is going to take everyone's salary and dole it out so that everyone makes the same.   This is the man who went from a State Senator's income to a millionaire with a big house.   Maybe he'll reallocate from one pork barrell to something more worthy.
2008-10-31 4:32 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

You know what, you cannot take it when you go.  It is all going to DUST, every last stinken cent of it.  Our fancy bikes and clothes, our houses our dvds/flat screen/ipod/fancy vactions, our central heating and air and our flush toliets.

What has always struck me is how people want more and more and more.  More of what?  The poorest and downtroden of Americans still have more luxeries than the pharohs and kings of 2000 years ago.  A homeless person can use a flush toliet and stay warm in the winter (at least in Canada, i assume the same is in America).  I have more technology sitting on my desk than was in the entire world 100 years ago. 

I drive my car home (amazing, 30 km commute, absolutely amazing), I press a button and my garage opens (are you kidding me, wow), my house is warm (and I don't have to go out and chop wood) and I can go to the washroom and my waste is swooshed away (an amazing blessing). 

Now I know I am simplifying it but come on, the pursuit of wealth only results in one thing, the wish to pursue more wealth.

Be happy with the basics, the rest is dust (in truth even the basics are dust).

Anyways.

2008-10-31 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1779307

User image

Master
Living in the past
BigDH - 2008-10-31 4:32 PM

You know what, you cannot take it when you go.  It is all going to DUST, every last stinken cent of it.  Our fancy bikes and clothes, our houses our dvds/flat screen/ipod/fancy vactions, our central heating and air and our flush toliets.

What has always struck me is how people want more and more and more.  More of what?  The poorest and downtroden of Americans still have more luxeries than the pharohs and kings of 2000 years ago.  A homeless person can use a flush toliet and stay warm in the winter (at least in Canada, i assume the same is in America).  I have more technology sitting on my desk than was in the entire world 100 years ago. 

I drive my car home (amazing, 30 km commute, absolutely amazing), I press a button and my garage opens (are you kidding me, wow), my house is warm (and I don't have to go out and chop wood) and I can go to the washroom and my waste is swooshed away (an amazing blessing). 

Now I know I am simplifying it but come on, the pursuit of wealth only results in one thing, the wish to pursue more wealth.

Anyways.

Keep your hands off MY dust!

Edited by Force 2008-10-31 8:26 PM
2008-10-31 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1779491

User image

Expert
Force - 2008-10-31 9:25 PM

BigDH - 2008-10-31 4:32 PM

Anyways.

Keep your hands off MY dust!

And don't tell me not to pursue more future dust.....If I was happy with what I had when I became an adult (legal age of 18) I would have a few pair of jeans, a few t shirts, bowling shoes, a car that barely ran, and a house I split rent with a couple other guys....no thanks. I'll keep enjoying the pursuit of a faster, sexy, future piece of dust (with zipp wheels)...
Without the pursuit of more, what happens to technology?
2008-10-31 10:57 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Funny, 'keep your hands off my dust', laughing my off. 

Yeah, I don't mean to tell people how to live their life, I just seeing persuing things as being at the root of the problem of people who are forever unsatisfied about their lot in life. 

Ha, but maybe I am the only one with that problem.

2008-11-01 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1778844

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Spread The Wealth Rss Feed  

of 6