Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-11-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1791823

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Vietnam vs. the Iraq War
PennState - 2008-11-06 11:07 AM

triturn - 2008-11-06 11:03 AM These 2 wars are only considered bad because we didn't win or haven't won yet. The Spanish-American war was worse than both with respect to reasons to go to war but nobody cares because we won.

I think you are getting to where I really wanted to go with this thread... most wars are started for unjustifiable reasons and are very immoral to begin with. No?

No

If you are the victim of agression and go to war to protect yourself is that immoral.  Then that means the only moral action is allowing yourself to be subjugated?  Making blanket statements about something as complex as the reasons for conflict is irresponsible and naieve.

2008-11-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1791857

2008-11-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1791872

Champion
PennState - 2008-11-06 11:24 AM
trinnas - 2008-11-06 11:19 AM
PennState - 2008-11-06 11:07 AM

triturn - 2008-11-06 11:03 AM These 2 wars are only considered bad because we didn't win or haven't won yet. The Spanish-American war was worse than both with respect to reasons to go to war but nobody cares because we won.

I think you are getting to where I really wanted to go with this thread... most wars are started for unjustifiable reasons and are very immoral to begin with. No?

No

If you are the victim of agression and go to war to protect yourself is that immoral.  Then that means the only moral action is allowing yourself to be subjugated?  Making blanket statements about something as complex as the reasons for conflict is irresponsible and naieve.

A bit edgy on the response huh?

I said most wars, not all. Read my post.... you don't know me, so save the naieve and irresponsible name calling thank you.

I did not mean to offend I meant that the statements are naieve and irresponsible not you as a person, that was your interpretation. 

2008-11-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1791464

2008-11-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1791888

Runner
PennState - 2008-11-06 11:27 AM

Trying to get back on topic... I believe many would agree that WWII fell into the category of defending oneself from oppression, which is why fewer people have a problem with the morality of it.

Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Spanish American War, American Indian Wars... probably don't fit that description do they?

How was the US defending itself from oppression during WWI or II?

2008-11-06 10:40 AM

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
My thoughts:

War is not wrong, but must be maintained as a last resort.

We are not involved in Africa because we have gut back our military so much that it is stretched thin working two conflicts, could you imagine three?

Genocide is one of the many atrocities Sadam Hussein commited, which is one of the many reasons I believe we should have and did go, look at the public opinion of being there now. Regardless of the WMD issue, we definately stopped Sadam from gassing groups based on ethnicity.

We can preach that we went there for oil(in the end resulting in money in someones pocket) all we want but don't forget, I don't know of a single US leader that would rather have full pockets and the death of thousands of Americans on their mind than rather than vice versa. I think we tend to forget that anyone (POTUS down to squad leader) would rather we never went to war.

Iraq war was inevitable, the end justifies the means.
2008-11-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1791928

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
Scout7 - 2008-11-06 10:37 AM

Trying to get back on topic... I believe many would agree that WWII fell into the category of defending oneself from oppression, which is why fewer people have a problem with the morality of it.

Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Spanish American War, American Indian Wars... probably don't fit that description do they?

x2. Both WWI and WWII were avoidable if the US wanted to avoid them.

My earlier point is simple about "justifiable wars." It depends on who wins.
2008-11-06 10:44 AM

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

A. War sucks - nuff said.

B.  Important in evaluating a war is not just the cost of going to war but the cost of not going to war.  I'm not as knowledgeable on Vietnam but I think in the war on terror and rogue nation aggression, we were going to have to fight regardless to do something about terrorism, the Middle East and people like Saddam Hussein who have a stated purpose of destroying us.

C.  I think suggesting the the Bush admin actually knew there were no WMDs but went to war anyway is preposterous.  He was willing to do what Clinton wasn't and that is to stand up despite being attacked (USS Cole, embassy bombings, WTC attack).  Terrorists are emboldend when we do nothing in the face of these attacks.  I believe that Hussein even said that in attacking Kuwait he figured we'd do nothing after seeing how weak the American support was when at war (Vietnam).  If the world sees us as weak and afraid then I significantly believe that the world has become more dangerous.

D.  What has the Bush Administration gained in being in the war?  Ratings down, lost congressional seats.  Thank God he was willing to do what he thought was right instead of making policy by putting his finger to the wind just to be popular.  Everybody makes the administration out to be war making cowboys but do you honestly think that war for the administration is just a game?  Again, if that's true, what have they gained other than an affairly marked legacy.

E. We have no idea how the world is better because of the US and its strength.  How much communisim would be in the world today if not for the US.  What other nut case leaders out there would be running rampant without a powerful nation to help keep things in check.  We are victums of our own prosperity though when we don't support our troops and understand that freedom and peace come with a price.  We are truely laughed at when the world sees us hand-wringing over these issues as it shows weakness and again weekness here creates strength elsewhere.

Edited by wildee 2008-11-06 10:46 AM
2008-11-06 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1791956

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
triturn - 2008-11-06 11:41 AM

Maybe in your dream world, but here in reality WWII would have eventually involved us as much or even more than when we did participate. Hitler would have overrun Europe, then set his sights on Russia. Meanwhile due to many governmental restrictions and other reasons (both the US and Japan to blame) the Pacific war was looming also.

Not sure if I agree that the wars were to fight oppression of the US, but definately help what were or became our allies.

Edited by NavyTRIChief 2008-11-06 10:51 AM
2008-11-06 10:53 AM

Champion

x2. Both WWI and WWII were avoidable if the US wanted to avoid them. My earlier point is simple about "justifiable wars." It depends on who wins.

So Hitler would have stopped with Europe under his control?  It is not about who wins and who loses people who have fought justifiably have both won and lost throughout history.  Why do we only look at american history or even modern worl history and forget their have been wars and conflicts fought since man stepped out of the trees, or out of the garden of eden if you prefer. 

2008-11-06 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1791766

Champion
Philly 'burbs
PennState - 2008-11-06 10:48 AM
mrbbrad - 2008-11-06 10:24 AM
PennState - 2008-11-06 8:26 AM

My question for COJ is which war was more unconscionable?

That is a loaded question. One must agree that both wars were unconscionable in order to answer.

Yes I agree it is a loaded question. Do you think one of these wars was not unconscionable?

I had to do some research to appropriately answer this question. First I needed a better understanding of what unconscionable really means. I know what I think it means, but what does it really mean?

unconscionable -  not guided or controlled by conscience

Ok, so what is conscience?

conscience - the sense or consciousness of the moral goodness or blameworthiness of one's own conduct, intentions, or character together with a feeling of obligation to do right or be good

I believe that, for the most part, the people who made decisions and took actions that led the US into these wars did have the sense that they were doing right. I do think they were guided and controlled by their conscience. I also think there were some who felt they were doing wrong and did it anyway, and I think there were those whose sense of right and wrong is vastly different from most of civilized society. While I may not have made the same choices based on my conscience I cannot say, by definition, that either war was unconscionable. Perhaps that is not the appropriate word, since it seems to be very personal and subjective.

2008-11-06 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1791674

Houston
dontracy - 2008-11-06 9:21 AM

PennState -

Could we try to get back on task....

What were the escalators for the 2 wars?

Gulf of Tonkin, WMD come to mind, but must have been others right?

I haven't formed a conclusion here, but let me just throw out these points.

The Vietnam war was was essential a civil war. There was a revolution within the nation. The ruling oligarchy was overthrown by the communists led by Ho Chi Mihn.

So there are really two questions about whether it was justified.

First is whether those overthrown had the right to prosecute a war against the revolutionaries. (probably gets complicated here because of the historic status of Vietnam being a colony under the French)

If they did in fact have right authority under the just war theory (the best standard I know of to use) then they probably were justified in prosecuting a war against Ho and trying to regain lost territory.

If that's the case, then was the US justified in coming to the aid of a nation that had the just authority to prosecute that war. One question here would be whether the South was the entity that retained "right authority" and invited another nation to it's aid, or whether the US was simply using the South as a puppet.

Even if the US was "using" the South, the South still may have retained "right authority", so in the macro the war may indeed still have remained justifiable.

As for Iraq. I personally came to the conclusion that the invasion was not justified. However, The US government held "right authority" in the matter. The question comes down to the threat of imminent attack. In this matter, there is room for "prudential judgement". If the judgement, based on itelligence whether that intelligence was flawed or not, was that immanent attack was looming, then the invasion was justifiable.

As far as I can tell, with the Iraq invasion there was enough of a gray area to legitimize a prudential judgement on either side, those sides being that invasion was justified or that invasion was not justified.

Because of that gray area, I don't believe you can judge the invasion as being "immoral" according to just war theory, even if you personally conclude that it was not justified.

Again, I haven't drawn conclusions, just throwing out points to consider in coming to a conclusion.

Vietnam wasn't about the legitimacy of civil war. The fact of the matter is when the French relinquished control and an agreement was made to hold elections in two years time (an election Diem knew he was going to lose) the United States intervened and propped up the Diem government to stop what was considered a communist threat. Communist being the key word because if Ho was not a communist... the U.S. would not have cared. Vietnam was entirely unjustified because it did not remotely threaten our national security.

In that sense, comparing it against the invasion of Iraq, I think that Vietnam was far more unconscionable. Yes we invaded Iraq on flimsy pretenses, but at least it was done for fear of national security, whether that fear was justifiable or not.

All told though, both wars were/are a mistake. Yes Saddam was a bad bad man, but anyone that wasn't being swindled by the biased American news media knew that Al Queda had no links to Saddam and that the idea of their possession of nuclear weapons was highly suspect.
2008-11-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1791970

Champion
Philly 'burbs
wildee - 2008-11-06 11:44 AM

C.  I think suggesting the the Bush admin actually knew there were no WMDs but went to war anyway is preposterous.  He was willing to do what Clinton wasn't and that is to stand up despite being attacked (USS Cole, embassy bombings, WTC attack).  Terrorists are emboldend when we do nothing in the face of these attacks.  I believe that Hussein even said that in attacking Kuwait he figured we'd do nothing after seeing how weak the American support was when at war (Vietnam).  If the world sees us as weak and afraid then I significantly believe that the world has become more dangerous.

Kind of all over the map here, which is my biggest issue with the war in Iraq. Why did we go, why did we proceed they way we did, why are we still there, and what is our end game?

The United Nations had no gonads whatsoever to stand up to Saddam after the US led coalition drove him out of Kuwait. There seemed to be evidence that he was up to no good. He refused to let inspectors do their jobs and the UN just kept warning and threatening but never really did anything. It's like telling your kid he'll be grounded if he does that again. Then he does it and you don't ground him. Wrong, wrong, wrong. But, why did the US take it upon themselves to be the heavy handed disciplinarian? Is that really our job? Let's pretend it is. We go in, debilitate their military, ensure there are no WMD's, and then GO HOME. Now we are there to fight terrorism and promote democracy, to free downtrodden people from an evil and oppressive dictator, or to help prevent a civil war. You can't make up reasons AFTER THE FACT or correlate the war in Iraq to things that having nothing to do with Saddam and his regime. Seems to be a thousand points of reasons to be in Iraq.

2008-11-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1791985

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
NavyTRIChief - 2008-11-06 10:48 AM

Maybe in your dream world, but here in reality WWII would have eventually involved us as much or even more than when we did participate. Hitler would have overrun Europe, then set his sights on Russia. Meanwhile due to many governmental restrictions and other reasons (both the US and Japan to blame) the Pacific war was looming also.

Not sure if I agree that the wars were to fight oppression of the US, but definately help what were or became our allies.

Chief:
I'm not against WWI or WWII. I'm a military guy and have a degree in history and political science. More importantly, I'm a realist. I agree that the US should have gone to war (earlier than we did) in WWII. I'm glad we did.
However, it would have been possible to change policies, become isolationist and cut off any aid to either the UK or USSR and we could have avoided war with Germany for at least 20 years. IAs you know, Germany declared war as a result of the US declaring war on Japan after Pearl Harbor. The Japanese only wanted us out of their way in the Pacific so that they could continue to expand their empire and gain more natural resources. The foreign policy of the US could have changed and let them run rampant if we wanted to avoid war. It's possible that if we could have avoided war in the Pacific for at least 20-25 years.

In the end, the US did the right thing but at the time it was possible for us to turn inward and not give a crap about what happened.
2008-11-06 12:25 PM

Davenport, IA
nm, your previous post answered my question.

Edited by Sprint_DA 2008-11-06 12:26 PM

2008-11-06 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1792133

Davenport, IA
mrbbrad - 2008-11-06 11:19 AM
wildee - 2008-11-06 11:44 AM

Kind of all over the map here, which is my biggest issue with the war in Iraq. Why did we go, why did we proceed they way we did, why are we still there, and what is our end game?

The United Nations had no gonads whatsoever to stand up to Saddam after the US led coalition drove him out of Kuwait. There seemed to be evidence that he was up to no good. He refused to let inspectors do their jobs and the UN just kept warning and threatening but never really did anything. It's like telling your kid he'll be grounded if he does that again. Then he does it and you don't ground him. Wrong, wrong, wrong. But, why did the US take it upon themselves to be the heavy handed disciplinarian? Is that really our job? Let's pretend it is. We go in, debilitate their military, ensure there are no WMD's, and then GO HOME. Now we are there to fight terrorism and promote democracy, to free downtrodden people from an evil and oppressive dictator, or to help prevent a civil war. You can't make up reasons AFTER THE FACT or correlate the war in Iraq to things that having nothing to do with Saddam and his regime. Seems to be a thousand points of reasons to be in Iraq.

Wasn't the reason given "Proactive self-defense"?  Attacking them before they had the opportunity to attack us or our allies?  

I'm not saying I in any way agree with that theory as a reason to be there.  I don't think we have any right to be in Iraq at all, nor did we have any right to go there in the first place.  

2008-11-06 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1792079

Davenport, IA
pengy - 2008-11-06 11:07 AM
dontracy - 2008-11-06 9:21 AM
PennState -

Could we try to get back on task....

What were the escalators for the 2 wars?

Gulf of Tonkin, WMD come to mind, but must have been others right?

I haven't formed a conclusion here, but let me just throw out these points.

The Vietnam war was was essential a civil war. There was a revolution within the nation. The ruling oligarchy was overthrown by the communists led by Ho Chi Mihn.

So there are really two questions about whether it was justified.

First is whether those overthrown had the right to prosecute a war against the revolutionaries. (probably gets complicated here because of the historic status of Vietnam being a colony under the French)

If they did in fact have right authority under the just war theory (the best standard I know of to use) then they probably were justified in prosecuting a war against Ho and trying to regain lost territory.

If that's the case, then was the US justified in coming to the aid of a nation that had the just authority to prosecute that war. One question here would be whether the South was the entity that retained "right authority" and invited another nation to it's aid, or whether the US was simply using the South as a puppet.

Even if the US was "using" the South, the South still may have retained "right authority", so in the macro the war may indeed still have remained justifiable.

As for Iraq. I personally came to the conclusion that the invasion was not justified. However, The US government held "right authority" in the matter. The question comes down to the threat of imminent attack. In this matter, there is room for "prudential judgement". If the judgement, based on itelligence whether that intelligence was flawed or not, was that immanent attack was looming, then the invasion was justifiable.

As far as I can tell, with the Iraq invasion there was enough of a gray area to legitimize a prudential judgement on either side, those sides being that invasion was justified or that invasion was not justified.

Because of that gray area, I don't believe you can judge the invasion as being "immoral" according to just war theory, even if you personally conclude that it was not justified.

Again, I haven't drawn conclusions, just throwing out points to consider in coming to a conclusion.

Vietnam wasn't about the legitimacy of civil war. The fact of the matter is when the French relinquished control and an agreement was made to hold elections in two years time (an election Diem knew he was going to lose) the United States intervened and propped up the Diem government to stop what was considered a communist threat. Communist being the key word because if Ho was not a communist... the U.S. would not have cared. Vietnam was entirely unjustified because it did not remotely threaten our national security. In that sense, comparing it against the invasion of Iraq, I think that Vietnam was far more unconscionable. Yes we invaded Iraq on flimsy pretenses, but at least it was done for fear of national security, whether that fear was justifiable or not. All told though, both wars were/are a mistake. Yes Saddam was a bad bad man, but anyone that wasn't being swindled by the biased American news media knew that Al Queda had no links to Saddam and that the idea of their possession of nuclear weapons was highly suspect.

So every time we are afraid someone may attack us we should attack first to keep them from being the aggressor? Then why shouldn't they attack first to keep us from being the attacker

2008-11-06 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1792468

Houston
Sprint_DA - 2008-11-06 12:32 PM

So every time we are afraid someone may attack us we should attack first to keep them from being the aggressor? Then why shouldn't they attack first to keep us from being the attacker

That wasn't my point.

Vietnam caused no national security threat and we got involved.

Iraq, at least in the minds of the decision makers, did have a national security threat and we got involved.

In my mind that makes Vietnam more (for lack of a better term) immoral. I'm not justifying the invasion of Iraq, I was just trying to give my perspective on the original question which was to compare the two.
2008-11-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1792502

Davenport, IA

pengy - 2008-11-06 12:43 PM
Sprint_DA - 2008-11-06 12:32 PM So every time we are afraid someone may attack us we should attack first to keep them from being the aggressor? Then why shouldn't they attack first to keep us from being the attacker
That wasn't my point. Vietnam caused no national security threat and we got involved. Iraq, at least in the minds of the decision makers, did have a national security threat and we got involved. In my mind that makes Vietnam more (for lack of a better term) immoral. I'm not justifying the invasion of Iraq, I was just trying to give my perspective on the original question which was to compare the two.

Fair enough.  I would still like to know what was actually in the minds of the decision makers, but that's not something any of us will ever know.

2008-11-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1792502

2008-11-06 12:55 PM

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

Whether or not WWII was a just war is up for debate, I think... by dropping an atomic bomb, the U.S. failed to discriminate between combatant and non-combatant... which of course became much harder in both Vietnam and Iraq.  And this has led some to question the relevance of the Just War Tradition anymore... Jean Bethke Elshtain's "Just War on Terrorism," while I disagree with it, is a provocative read in this vein.

Also within the JWT, pre-emptive attacks are generally verboten... but there is always the question of what to do when the enemy is massing troops on your border. 

And finally, the qualification that a war must be winnable, has come to mean to many proponents of the JWT that you cannot go to war against an ideology... thus by its label the "War on Terror" is inherently unjust.  We can go to war to redress the wrong perpetrated against us, but to wage war on terrorism is a losing battle.  We will never wipe it out entirely. 

2008-11-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1792553

Champion
akustix - 2008-11-06 1:55 PM

Whether or not WWII was a just war is up for debate, I think... by dropping an atomic bomb, the U.S. failed to discriminate between combatant and non-combatant... which of course became much harder in both Vietnam and Iraq.  And this has led some to question the relevance of the Just War Tradition anymore... Jean Bethke Elshtain's "Just War on Terrorism," while I disagree with it, is a provocative read in this vein.

And of couse the fire bombing of Dresden, The blitzkrieg of London and oh yea the slaughter in the polish ghettos, The wholesale slaughter of Chinese.  Will you stop the big bad USA dropped the atomic bomb on poor sleepy nagasaki and hiroshima.  I am sure both of these were chosen as military tagret not as civilian targets.  War is ugly and non combatants get killed.  If it were not for the Japanese surrender it would have required invasin of mainland Japan to end the war The casualty estimates for the US servicemen alone were something like 1,000,000 troops.  The casualty estimates for the japanese military and civilians alike were even higher.  What would you have done?

2008-11-06 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1792545

Houston
PennState - 2008-11-06 12:55 PM

I like your insight.... but wouldn't the military hawks of the 1960s have argued that our national security was threatened by the spread of communism and that we had to stop the "Dominao EFFect". Vietnam was sold as that I believe. Dis-information was used to escalate the war (Gulf of Tonkin), which may or may not be a similarity to the WMB issues?

I think there is a distinction; even the war hawks of the 60's couldn't argue that Vietnam was going to somehow challenge us. They had no means to do so.

We also have to keep the timing of the invasion of Iraq in mind. We had just been attacked on a scale we had never experienced before (9/11) and Bush and the rest of the U.S. population was understandably trigger happy at the time.

Then again, perhaps fear of the spread of communism and fear of terrorism have more in common than we care to admit.
2008-11-06 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1792591

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
trinnas - 2008-11-06 1:04 PM

akustix - 2008-11-06 1:55 PM

And of couse the fire bombing of Dresden, The blitzkrieg of London and oh yea the slaughter in the polish ghettos, The wholesale slaughter of Chinese.  Will you stop the big bad USA dropped the atomic bomb on poor sleepy nagasaki and hiroshima.  I am sure both of these were chosen as military tagret not as civilian targets.  War is ugly and non combatants get killed.  If it were not for the Japanese surrender it would have required invasin of mainland Japan to end the war The casualty estimates for the US servicemen alone were something like 1,000,000 troops.  The casualty estimates for the japanese military and civilians alike were even higher.  What would you have done?

x2. the line between combatant and non was crossed long before the atomic bomb was dropped.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Vietnam vs. the Iraq War Rss Feed  

of 3