Xterra
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 17m 31s
Overall Rank = 333/525
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 27/47
Pre-race routine:

Well, on the day before the race I performed an ocean rescue of a poor young woman who was hit by a Portuguese Man of War. Took a lot of energy to swim her to shore, and it was pretty disturbing, but it made for an interesting day before the race.

Woke up at a reasonable time and had an easy breakfast. This race starts comparatively later in the morning than other races, which was a bit odd to adjust to. I'm so used to getting into transition early, that it was easy for me to be the second bike in the racks. Always fun to be body marked with the rubber stamps instead of a tired volunteer with a Sharpee.
Event warmup:

Just hung out and had a great time. Went down to the beach and supported the two challenged athletes in the race, Meg and Andy, who were competing as amputees. Unbelievable heroes.
Swim
  • 28m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

My first lap was much faster than my second, largely because I went straight at the buoys on the first lap. I was kicked, punched, battered, beaned, and knocked on that first lap, so I decided to swing wide on the second. I should have stayed in the fight, because the Ultimate Swimming Smack Down is probably faster than swimming along the sidelines.
What would you do differently?:

Swim in the middle of the fight on the second lap.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

No showers, so it's off on the mountain bike covered in salt water. That, combined with a basic gut level of terror, makes for a desire to stay in transition as long as one can.

I can certainly move more quickly through transition, but I wanted to get this one right and not forget anything... like my camel back.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 18s
  • 19.1 miles
  • 7.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Are you kidding me? This is the craziest bike race track that I've ever seen. The lava is sort of hidden under loose dirt and grass, broken bikes are strewn everywhere, people fly off their bikes left and right. I was very pleased to ride the entire course without a single munch, something I could rarely accomplish while training in Colorado. There is a lot of bike pushing on this course, as it climbs up some very ferocious hills, and I have no idea how these guys fly down the hills without breaking their faces, but it's nothing short of a great, great time. This course really is a "must-do" on the world circuit of triathlons.

Toward the rear of this race, where I was, the event becomes more challenging because the bike aid stations were out of water. All that they had was Gatorade. I was very pleased to have a 1.5 liter camelback, because the course really demands a ton of hydration. I finished the camelback half way through the bike, and had to refill it with Gatorade, which I finished before the run. Anyone considering this race needs to be seriously aware of the hydration issues, that's for sure.

With more experience, I might be able to descend quicker on this course, but the penalty for failure is pretty severe; a body battered and torn by lava. So, maybe focusing on climbing would be better...
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I was so happy to have survived the bike ride that I could have cried. So, I just hopped into my shoes and looked forward to what I thought would be a little fun run.

Probably wouldn't underestimate what was coming up; the run!
Run
  • 1h 08m 22s
  • 6.9 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

This run turned out to be something of a nightmare. The heat was blistering, and the hills were seriously steep. The run along the soft sand Makena beach was simply unbelievably difficult at this point in the race. The only part that was reasonable was the pavement for the first mile.

With one mile to go, I was getting to the end of the Spooky Forest, when I came upon what looked like two large trees that I had to go under. The two were marked with course arrows, so I ducked under the first, stayed low for the second, and when I came up to start running again; "THWACK" I was knocked flat on my back by a third tree that I didn't see.

I struggled to get up and started running, when I noticed the left lens of my sunglasses starting to flow over with blood. I took off my glasses and hat, and the blood splurted out of a gash in my head. I had just passed a tough looking customer in my age group, and wanted to stay ahead of him, so I just kept jamming.

I was on a beach, struggling, with blood splurting out of my head and dirt everywhere. It became really difficult to go forward, and I started to worry that I might collapse and wouldn't finish. So, I just hunkered down and ran. Hard.

I came around to the finish line and could really only see out of my right eye. I saw the beautiful bikini girls who give racers their leighs sort of moving to get away from the bloody guy coming across the line. Despite protests that I was fine, I was put into a wheelchair and taken to the med tent. There, the good doctors put seven stitches in the wound over my eye and eventually I was released to get my "survivor" medal.

I was done. I'm really happy. I've raced the Ironman and XTerra World Championships.

And next year I hope to return to Maui....

The next day I went back to look at the tree that smacked me, and I saw all sorts of hair in it; blonde, brunette, short, long.... Next year I might just go out a few weeks in advance with a chain saw and pay that sucker back a bit!
Post race
Warm down:

I warmed down on my back in the Med Tent, enjoying the feeling of the needle and thread sewing me back together. After that, I spent an incredible four days touring the islands and having the time of my life!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience. Caution. And a tree in the way.

Event comments:

This may be the most fun that I've ever had in triathlon. Great people. Amazing venue. Tough to take the time aspect seriously, since I had no prior XTerra experience. So, it was all just for fun and a t-shirt and a medal. I'l never forget this one, and I have the scars to remind me!

Last updated: 2008-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 357/525
Performance:
Suit: BlueSeventy Speed Suit
Course: Two 750m counter-clockwise rectangles off the beach, with noticeable currents.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:36:18 | 19.1 miles | 7.33 mile/hr
Overall: 375/525
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Crazy course on private, otherwise closed, roads heading from the beach up Haleakala volcano. Rough lava roads, silt beds, crazy climbs, and frantic descents make this one of the most ridiculous fun rides I've ever enjoyed.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:08:22 | 06.9 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 244/525
Performance: Good
Course: Run up the volcano, down the volcano, along the soft sand beach, through the spooky forest, back along more beach, and collapse in a lump at the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-16 7:52 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: Xterra World Championships

2008-11-17 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1811516

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Xterra World Championships
Dude, you had a full couple of days..

Nice save the day before the race and congrats on the race.
2008-11-17 9:57 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Awesome RR. I would love to see a finish photo of that one.
2008-11-17 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

WOW

Great race!  And to finish it gushing blood takes real ticker.  WEll done.  

great save in the water too.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra World Championships Rss Feed