Seattle Marathon Organization
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15, got dressed, drank a cup of tea, a Baker's Breakfast cookie, banana, and piece of toast. Checked my bag for last minute adds and headed out the door into 54 degrees!
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race about 45 minutes early; stretched, jogged a bit, chatted with my brother in law, and then lined up in the corral.
Run
  • 2h 48m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

First half I was running about a 10:50 pace, which pleased me. THEN came mile 8, when I had to stop for the bathroom (waaaay too long of a stop), hit my first big hill (which I remembered all too well from 2005) and my legs & glutes started to act up. Mile 8 took a really really long time. Still, I was having fun, loved being there. At about 9.5 miles I met a girl who was in way more pain than I was, doing her first half marathon, and worried her knees wouldn't let her cross the finish line. I offered to stay with her for the rest of the race, knowing how lonely it gets out there when you're hurting. So we walked, shuffled, ran a bit, and walked and talked, and we finished happy...no course records for me, but I know I made a difference for someone else...
What would you do differently?:

Training needs to be more consistent. There's a thought...and HILLS.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my family, went into the recovery area for some chicken & rice soup, stretched, and headed home. Took the kids to the pool and kicked about 1000 yards easy, then sat in the hot tub. It was a good day:).

Event comments:

I like this race, though the hills are tough. There will be a next time...

Last updated: 2008-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:48:13 | 13.1 miles | 12m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Beasutiful course that starts at Seattle Center, goes through downtown, onto the I-90 approach express lanes, along Lake Washington, through the Arboretum, and back into town. HILLY, especially for a midwestern girl.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-12-01 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Seattle Marathon - Half Marathon

2008-12-02 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1833102

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Seattle Marathon - Half Marathon
Thanks for the congrats, and right back at ya. Really cool that you helped someone else who was having a rough time. Good on you!! It is a tough course and that hill at mile 8 is a bear... and worse yet, it's not the last of them! I will say that I trained harder on hills this year (and also did stairs weekly) and it helped. Didn't make 'em EASY by any means, but I didn't feel like the hills owned me. One year I want to feel like I own the hills, but I'm not there yet. Good job and yes, it was a LOVELY day!! Congratulations!
2008-12-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1833102

User image

Olympia, WA
Hey, good job! I did the half too, 2:02 for me and it was damn hilly! :-)
2008-12-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1838380

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job Kris!  Sounds like a nice race, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seattle Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed