Atlanta Track Club
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

PB Sandwich, shower, stretching. Running races are so much easier to pack for. I left the house with only what I was going to be weaing on the run. Got to Marta and waited in the freezing cold for the train. It arrived and I couldn't believe we made oursleves fit, it was already wall to wall with people. At least I got to warm back up.
Event warmup:

I made my way into my coral and there wasn't much room, so I just jumped around trying to keep warm and keep myself pumped up.
Run
  • 2h 05m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

As the crowd started moving toward the start line I was totally ready. I took off and kept going. I wore my Garmin just to keep track of pacing, no HR monitor. Every time I looked down I was running about an 8 min. pace. I kept thinking I better take it easy or I'll never finish strong. The first 7 miles flew by. At that time, I looked at my Garmin and I was still averaging under a 9min. pace. I was ecstatic. I thought I was golden. As miles 8 and 9 came around, I began to remember the incline for last third of the race. By mile 11 I thought I was done. Hills are not my thing and after 3 miles up, I was ready to be done. I was feeling the pain and just wanted to stop. But I thought I was so close to my goal, I just pushed harder. Once I saw mile 12, I gave it a last push, and used every last ounce of energy in my body. As I crossed the finish, I knew without a doubt, that no matter what my time was, I would be happy because I knew I couldn't possibly have done any better. For the fisrt time in my life, I gave it everything I had for the entire race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I executed this race perfectly for me. I wore a fuel belt for the first time. Worked alright, served it's purpose. I didn't stop once. I probably could have drank a little more, but when it's cold, it's harder to notice when you need to drink

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a banana, had my recovery drink, sat and waited for Candace to finish. Then had to get back up. Oww.

Event comments:

Post race food left a little to be desired. Ok, a lot. A banana was the only thing I found that I could eat. Race was prety well organized. Lacking the fun spectators that ING had though. Packet pickup was ridiculous. I may skip this next year if it's set up the same. I can't be bothered with driving to Buckhead on a Tuesday night after work with 5000 other people just to pick up my number. Shirts were pretty nice though.

Last updated: 2008-06-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:47 | 13.1 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-12-01 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: Atlanta Half Marathon

2008-12-02 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1833638

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Atlanta Half Marathon

Good race, jess!

And MARTA WAS packed. I commented to a guy next to me about how tight the fit was. A little too close for comfort!

Agree with you on packet pickup. Big hassle, especially if you don't live close to buckhead. I was pretty disgusted with the time it took to go there from work and then home...the traffic! holy cow.

anyways, congrats once again!

2008-12-02 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
As I crossed the finish, I knew without a doubt, that no matter what my time was, I would be happy because I knew I couldn't possibly have done any better. For the fisrt time in my life, I gave it everything I had for the entire race.

That's awesome to read. Great running!
2008-12-02 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Whew...thank you for writing a rr.  That saves me from hearing a 30 minute story from you .    Congrats on an awesome race!!!
2008-12-02 6:29 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Congrats on on a great race!
2008-12-03 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Once I saw mile 12, I gave it a last push, and used every last ounce of energy in my body. As I crossed the finish, I knew without a doubt, that no matter what my time was, I would be happy because I knew I couldn't possibly have done any better. For the fisrt time in my life, I gave it everything I had for the entire race.

Great Quote!! When you put it all in a race, there is nothing left to question. Well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlanta Half Marathon Rss Feed