General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-12-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1861006

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread
azstaterick - 2008-12-18 9:36 AM

The Edwards will be rockin that weekend.

Did I mention that I hate cold water. I live in AZ where my idea of cold is about 75. Boise was about 54 last year. I got a chance to get somewhat used to the water before starting.  How do we sight in the bay? Just aim for the Ghiradelli sign?

Listen at the prerace meeting!  They will tell you what to sight towards so you don't get swept away...and it probably won't be the finish line!

But I am TOTALLY up for a post-race party at Ghiradelli.....

2008-12-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1859957

User image

Master
NJ
Anditrigirl - 2008-12-17 7:43 PM

jldicarlo - 2008-12-17 4:44 PM

Aikidoman - 2008-12-17 2:23 PM What's the proximity of the Edwards to the transition area?

THIS THREAD says four blocks.

The price of the Cow Hollow and the one I stayed at (in link above) is essentially the same - but the difference was the service.  At Cow Hollow, and correct me if I am wrong, I was told they did nothing special for racers.  Not so at the one were I stayed.  They had a breakfast including PIPING HOT COFFEE at 3:30 AM for racers!  I was very impressed - this was totally unexpected.  The hotel is located at the intersection of Lomdard & Scott - Scott literally dead ends into the entrance of the transition which is approximately 4ish blocks.  I am sure a google map would tell you exactly how far.  I just remember it was so incredibly easy to get there it was nothing.  You don't need to drive race morning because the roads will have literally no cars and it will be safe for riding.  The roads have enough lighting.

I was very impressed with how management tried to cater to and meet the racer's needs.  All prices include breakfast with all the fruit, drinks, bagels/pastries and yummy quiche.  I told my daughter we were staying there again and she jumped up and down for joy!

Andi

You're right - nada for racers. A cliff bar and some gatorade that I bought the day before.
2008-12-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1861042

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jldicarlo - 2008-12-18 8:48 AM
azstaterick - 2008-12-18 9:36 AM

The Edwards will be rockin that weekend.

Did I mention that I hate cold water. I live in AZ where my idea of cold is about 75. Boise was about 54 last year. I got a chance to get somewhat used to the water before starting.  How do we sight in the bay? Just aim for the Ghiradelli sign?

Listen at the prerace meeting!  They will tell you what to sight towards so you don't get swept away...and it probably won't be the finish line!

But I am TOTALLY up for a post-race party at Ghiradelli.....

Note to self:

Don't get swept away.  Outcome?  BAD....

2008-12-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1857387

User image

Heh, my first Alcatraz swim (which went into Aquatic Park with a very small opening), I was right on target about 400 yards out, put my head down and 30 seconds later I was way off course and getting swept toward the bridge, on the bridge side of the opening.  I had to sprint like mad to make the opening.  Friend of mine couldn't make it and got picked up by a boat.

Escape goes to the Marina Green Beach, further down from Aquatic Park, and a much bigger target.  I am assuming an outgoing tide, the current will naturally get stronger as you get closer to shore, use it to your advantage.  You'll probably be swimming as much "right" as "forward."  I recall using different landmarks as I got closer.  I started sighting to a bldg way to the left, and as I got closer picked different bldgs moving to the right.

It will definitely NOT be the finishing line you are shooting for

Edited by ChrisM 2008-12-18 2:18 PM
2008-12-18 3:17 PM

User image

Nor*Cal

1. Get an insulated swim cap if you're not used to cold water swimming. Or plan on wearing a second swim cap.

2. two words...sand ladder 

It's a great course. Enjoy the scenery.

-ak-

2008-12-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1861858

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Atak Kat - 2008-12-18 2:17 PM

1. Get an insulated swim cap if you're not used to cold water swimming. Or plan on wearing a second swim cap.

Swim cap...first I would like to work on getting a long sleeve wetsuit!  All I own is a sleeveless!  I have been meaning to buy a new wetsuit for years...this just gave me a real excuse!  Now I just have to lose weight so I can buy an appropriate size!

2008-12-18 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1861885

User image

Veteran
Lewisville
All i've got is a sleeveless as well; with the total cost of the race so far, that may be all I've got to work with.
2008-12-18 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1861918

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I have used my sleeveless in pretty cold water...

BUT, I'm glad I have my full sleeve.

Going to buy the neoprene swim cap though...

2008-12-18 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1861964

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I live in georgia and I don't think the lakes ever get as cold as the bay 'round these parts!  MAYBE in January.

Anyhow, I found the temperature surprisingly refreshing and enjoyable.  Okay - let me emphasize refreshing!   I REALLY liked it and I think you will be fine in a sleeveless wetsuit!

In so far as swimming, I took the swim clinic the day before the race that was offered by Water World Swim (http://www.waterworldswim.com/).  I loved it because we swam various parts of the bay, got LOTS of pictures - even in the water of the skyline/city, and experienced the cold/currents.  I will be glad to share what I learned.  I may do it again this year.  If I do, I will pass on anything I learn.

The key is to listen to the instructions.  The swim isn't that bad, but if you swim toward the finish line you'll be one of the folks getting put in a boat and repositioned.

And, one secret you don't really know until you arrive at the race: if you get off course they will put you in a boat and reposition you even giving instructions on how to get it right.  You do not get DQ'd for this.  After an hour, anyone still in the water gets taken to the swim finish to continue their journey.  Okay - mentally some may feel like this is a DNF on the swim but not on the race as a whole.

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2008-12-18 5:13 PM
2008-12-18 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

well i haven't worn or own a wetsuit.  

i have a Tri in February that i'll need a wetsuit for as well.   i was planning on just renting a suit for February's race.   however, i'm planning on buying a suit now that i'll need it for another race.

no idea on where to even start with a suit.   i'll have to find a Tri store sometime after the new year and try some on and go from there i guess.

2008-12-18 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1862135

User image

Sensei
Sin City
xmann1102 - 2008-12-18 3:17 PM

i have a Tri in February that i'll need a wetsuit for as well.   i was planning on just renting a suit for February's race.   however, i'm planning on buying a suit now that i'll need it for another race.

no idea on where to even start with a suit.   i'll have to find a Tri store sometime after the new year and try some on and go from there i guess.

Start here IMO.  I have one and it's all I use (the sleeveless 2XU stays in the closet).  It inexpensive, and works just fine.  I think you can get a discount through BT as well...

2008-12-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1862166

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Aikidoman - 2008-12-18 4:48 PM

Start here IMO.  I have one and it's all I use (the sleeveless 2XU stays in the closet).  It inexpensive, and works just fine.  I think you can get a discount through BT as well...

I'm going to have to disagree.  Promotion wetsuits are PIECES OF JUNK.  Unless you never plan on using it again, don't waste your time.  They are thick and inflexible, and generally CRAP.

Spend the extra bucks for something higher end...you will thank yourself.

2008-12-18 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1862459

User image

Alpharetta, GA
jldicarlo - 2008-12-18 9:57 PM
Aikidoman - 2008-12-18 4:48 PM

I'm going to have to disagree.  Promotion wetsuits are PIECES OF JUNK.  Unless you never plan on using it again, don't waste your time.  They are thick and inflexible, and generally CRAP.

Spend the extra bucks for something higher end...you will thank yourself.

I had an old ironman wetsuit and a Blue Seventy and really love my promotion so much more!  I think it's really flexible by comparison... to each his own, I guess?!

As a matter of fact, I will need to sell my full sleeve promotion which was used only 4 times.  It's too big (6S - they are cut large though) now since I've lost weight and will finally be back to my regular size again.  So, keep eyes open in the classifieds in February if anyone is interested. (or PM me if you think a 6S in red/black is your thing.  I'll even through in the squid lid that goes with it because I have two.)

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2008-12-18 9:04 PM
2008-12-19 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
see this is my issue.   how do i know what feels good and is the right fit?   also, do i buy a sleeveless or full suit?
2008-12-19 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Now is a great time to find a wetsuit. Many brands and stores are offering clearance prices to get rid of last year's models. www.xterrawetsuits.com/sale is a link that had some last week.

Some stores have an endless pool to allow you to try them out. Call around. The wetsuit will feel much different on your dry body than in the water. LS/SS is a matter of preference. I have a LS as they are warmer and provide a little more bouyancy for this weak swimmer.

2008-12-19 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1862830

User image

Veteran
Lewisville
I went with sleeveless bc I didn't want to restrict my arms in anyway. It may be a little cooler, but I've got plenty of blood flowing through my arms when I swim.  I think the sleeve issue personal preference.

2008-12-19 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

see my problem is there aren't any stores near me that sell wetsuits.   heck, i'd have to travel 2 hours to get anywhere to find a store....just to try something on.

i'm just wondering if i should bite the bullet and order something while they are on clearance and just exchange it if it isn't the right size.

but still, i have no idea what would be a right fit and if it's what i would want in the water.

2008-12-19 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1863051

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
xmann1102 - 2008-12-19 7:53 AM

see my problem is there aren't any stores near me that sell wetsuits.   heck, i'd have to travel 2 hours to get anywhere to find a store....just to try something on.

i'm just wondering if i should bite the bullet and order something while they are on clearance and just exchange it if it isn't the right size.

but still, i have no idea what would be a right fit and if it's what i would want in the water.

My advice would be to start looking early.  Call up companies and discuss sizing with them.  My first wetsuit was WAY too big because I went by the weight/height thing.  I called up the company and based on my descriptions of myself they came up with a perfect fit.  So it required a little shipping back and forth but they got me set up.

2008-12-19 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1863150

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jldicarlo - 2008-12-19 7:35 AM
xmann1102 - 2008-12-19 7:53 AM

My advice would be to start looking early.  Call up companies and discuss sizing with them.  My first wetsuit was WAY too big because I went by the weight/height thing.  I called up the company and based on my descriptions of myself they came up with a perfect fit.  So it required a little shipping back and forth but they got me set up.

I got mine online as well.  Not a problem.  They also let you return them if needed (as long as you don't swim in them).

I heard a story from someone that Promotion actually sent two suits, but only charged for one, with the promise that they send the one that didn't fit as well back.  I was surprised...

2008-12-19 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1862830

User image

Sensei
Sin City

xmann1102 - 2008-12-19 4:15 AM see this is my issue.   how do i know what feels good and is the right fit?   also, do i buy a sleeveless or full suit?

Preference.  Some say the sleeves = more rubber = more bouyancy = faster.  Not sure of the numbers.  Small gains, if any.

I love my full sleeve, to be honest.

I also take a look at the pros.  I would say most wear sleeves.

2008-12-19 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

well i'm just going to have to take a day trip to Orlando or Tampa and find some shops and try on suits.....no other choice really.

and i'm OFFICIALLY registered.   just handed over my $407

2008-12-19 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1863439

User image

Sensei
Sin City
xmann1102 - 2008-12-19 9:32 AM

well i'm just going to have to take a day trip to Orlando or Tampa and find some shops and try on suits.....no other choice really.

Cool!  That's another 'confirmed'...

I'm getting the hotel this weekend.  I'm hoping the Edwards still has rooms.

2008-12-19 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1863791

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Aikidoman - 2008-12-19 1:03 PM
xmann1102 - 2008-12-19 9:32 AM

Cool!  That's another 'confirmed'...

I'm getting the hotel this weekend.  I'm hoping the Edwards still has rooms.

Why wait?  You don't have to pay to reserve a room!

2008-12-19 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
ya hurry and call and get the room reserved before they are gone (might already be).   just need a CC to hold the room.....hurry up!!
2008-12-19 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1864012

User image

Alpharetta, GA

xmann1102 - 2008-12-19 4:59 PM ya hurry and call and get the room reserved before they are gone (might already be).   just need a CC to hold the room.....hurry up!!

Yes, call, they were booking up.  I should get a commission.

Andi

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10