BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-10-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2472352

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

MDHillSlug - 2009-10-21 5:04 PM When something shows up I read it

I actually ran yesterday!
At PT, after I had done all my exercises and was getting ready for my ultrasound, etc, I asked my therapist when I could try running; her response was "want to try now?" Of course, I said yes, so we headed over to the treadmill (Woodway) where I did 30sec walk/30sec run x4. My heel felt OK right after but I said we'd have to see how it feels later, after the ice wears off and I've been on it for a while. I definitely have some ache there, around a 2-3 out of 10; now I have to see how long that lasts. I don't yet know if this should be considered a success or a failure.

My pain peaked around 3-4 an hour or so after running, then backed off to around 2 a little while later, and then hung at 1 for much of the afternoon. It felt OK in the evening. This morning I was about a 1, just enough to remind me that I did something yesterday.

well...happy you got to run...hoping that it will soon be with no pain after! hoping!!!! keep us posted! when is your next appt?

2009-10-22 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2472697

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

kew - 2009-10-21 9:26 PM

Hi everyone...

Sorry I have been away so long. Moving day for me was on September 24th.  I came down with an upper respiratory infection on the day of the move...was feeling somewhat better for a week and then came down with a staph infection in my finger that spread to my arm.  I am now on my 3rd round of antibiotics in just 3 weeks time.  I just can't seem to get my energy back.

Hope everyone is doing well.  I haven't been able to download Yvonne's picture.  When I get the energy to tackle some of the boxes I will hopefully find the cable to my digital camera.

Miss you all and will try to check in more often.

Take care ((hugs)) ...

Karen

good to hear from you! man you have been having some issues! hope that the infection is all gone and you find that camera soon! cant wait to see the new casa! take care and kit! will be waiting patiently for those pics!

obtw CONGRATS ON YOUR MOVE! hope you get settled soon!

2009-10-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2472822

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

dcon - 2009-10-22 4:29 AM Hi all. I'm still here too and do stop by at least once a day to see if there is anything new. Your call Julie if you want to wrap things up. You've already gone way beyond the call of duty.Love the new wheels Nicole, i.e., on your avatar. Good luck with the foot. Karen: I hope you can get some rest (to recover) now that you're moved into your new place.

no way! I love you guys...you are my new family...we will start new if we have to in December..but we can all join in again!

how are you? and whats new??? love to hear from you as I check by almost daily too! cant lie and say daily....but very close to it!

2009-10-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2473556

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-10-22 12:24 PM

At PT, after I had done all my exercises and was getting ready for my ultrasound, etc, I asked my therapist when I could try running; her response was "want to try now?" Of course, I said yes, so we headed over to the treadmill (Woodway) where I did 30sec walk/30sec run x4. My heel felt OK right after but I said we'd have to see how it feels later, after the ice wears off and I've been on it for a while. I definitely have some ache there, around a 2-3 out of 10; now I have to see how long that lasts. I don't yet know if this should be considered a success or a failure.

My pain peaked around 3-4 an hour or so after running, then backed off to around 2 a little while later, and then hung at 1 for much of the afternoon. It felt OK in the evening. This morning I was about a 1, just enough to remind me that I did something yesterday.

well...happy you got to run...hoping that it will soon be with no pain after! hoping!!!! keep us posted! when is your next appt?

My next appt was this morning; she said that I shouldn't run again today and I was OK with that.

I've figured out that if it comes to it I can do a whole season of multisport consisting of only aquabike events. The upside would be no pressure to get back to running before I'm really ready.  I'll definitely be giving that some thought.
2009-10-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
I'm definitely around, just long enough to log my training and check the forums. Had my last triathon for the season last weekend and came in 9th out of 20 in my AG ... was 5th on the swim which didn't go very well.  Have a 10k race on Saturday ... Nike Human Race.  Anyone else have anything going this weekend?

Dan, how are you liking your Garmin? I got my a year ago and need to go back and try to figure out some of the features.

Nicole, be sure to listen to your "foot" and don't over do it.

Karen, hope that you are getting settled in and get to feeling better soon ... and that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday.

Julee, have a safe trip to Houston ... Hope to see you soon!

Hope everyone has a great weekedn, what ever you have planned.
2009-10-22 11:17 PM
in reply to: #2473818

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-10-22 10:48 AM

My next appt was this morning; she said that I shouldn't run again today and I was OK with that.

I've figured out that if it comes to it I can do a whole season of multisport consisting of only aquabike events. The upside would be no pressure to get back to running before I'm really ready.  I'll definitely be giving that some thought.

I love to see your positive attitude! and think there is no rush! so how often do you visit this doctor? when is your next visit?

2009-10-22 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2474597

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-10-22 5:51 PM I'm definitely around, just long enough to log my training and check the forums. Had my last triathon for the season last weekend and came in 9th out of 20 in my AG ... was 5th on the swim which didn't go very well.  Have a 10k race on Saturday ... Nike Human Race.  Anyone else have anything going this weekend?

Dan, how are you liking your Garmin? I got my a year ago and need to go back and try to figure out some of the features.

Nicole, be sure to listen to your "foot" and don't over do it.

Karen, hope that you are getting settled in and get to feeling better soon ... and that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday.

Julee, have a safe trip to Houston ... Hope to see you soon!

Hope everyone has a great weekedn, what ever you have planned.

thanks Lisa....see you soon

can you pm your phone numbers again...I promise to add them to my phone this time!

2009-10-23 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hi everyone!  I'm sorry I've been AWOL.  It's been a very crazy fall here -- out of town nearly all of the time, plus I got a new job/promotion at work!  That's actually a blessing and a curse.  It's certainly the job I've been working for all of my career, but now I actually have to DO it!   Needless to say, the stress has been intense so my training has suffered somewhat.  I still use training as a stress reliever, but my time is really at a premium until I can get settled in and figure out everything that needs to be done.  I'm also shedding some of the pressures I've put on myself, including not running the half marathon on Nov 21st.  It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders when I made that decision, which was really based on the realization that there is no way I could be sufficiently trained for it.  I'm not giving up on running or racing, and I'm even still planning to do a half marathon but not until March.

Sorry for being gone for so long, then whining in my first post back.  I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend.  I'm racing tomorrow -- a 5K -- anyone else?

2009-10-23 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2474902

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-10-23 12:17 AM

MDHillSlug - 2009-10-22 10:48 AM

I love to see your positive attitude! and think there is no rush! so how often do you visit this doctor? when is your next visit?

I'm doing PT twice a week and seeing the foot doc monthly. He's always been more optimistic than the PTs about getting back to the running. He thought I'd be OK to run my Oly in September. I have an appt with him next Thursday and need to request more PT.
2009-10-23 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2474597

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
lufferly - 2009-10-23 9:51 AM

Hi Lisa. I like it although it is pretty big. I've run with it 3 times now and biked once. My plan is to use it to stay in the aerobic zone (top end of Z1) while I crank up my long run distance. I've already discovered that means slowing down a little more. Congrats on your last triathlon of the season and good luck with your 10K!!
2009-10-23 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2475211

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Sledge - 2009-10-23 9:38 PM

Hi everyone!  I'm sorry I've been AWOL.  It's been a very crazy fall here -- out of town nearly all of the time, plus I got a new job/promotion at work!  That's actually a blessing and a curse.  It's certainly the job I've been working for all of my career, but now I actually have to DO it!   Needless to say, the stress has been intense so my training has suffered somewhat.  I still use training as a stress reliever, but my time is really at a premium until I can get settled in and figure out everything that needs to be done.  I'm also shedding some of the pressures I've put on myself, including not running the half marathon on Nov 21st.  It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders when I made that decision, which was really based on the realization that there is no way I could be sufficiently trained for it.  I'm not giving up on running or racing, and I'm even still planning to do a half marathon but not until March.

Sorry for being gone for so long, then whining in my first post back.  I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend.  I'm racing tomorrow -- a 5K -- anyone else?

Congratulations on the promotion Cheri!! Good luck with your 5K!!

2009-10-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2476678

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

dcon - 2009-10-23 4:51 PM
Sledge - 2009-10-23 9:38 PM

Congratulations on the promotion Cheri!! Good luck with your 5K!!

Thanks Don!  The 5K went well, and I brought home some hardware.   There just aren't that many old girls (like me!) running any more...

2009-10-28 11:53 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Here's a marathon worth considering. My wife saw this on a television program here in Japan. The wine tastings and food mentioned below are along the marathon course. Lots and lots of runners finishing in the 6-6.5 hour range.

http://www.marathondumedoc.com/pages/en/esprit.php

From the list of rules, article # 10:

art.10 Award at the finishAll finishers (arriving under 6h30) will be offered a reward.In a time under 6h30, you can thouroughly enjoy the 22 water-posts, 23 wine-tastings in the châteaux, 55 orchestras, the 50 great properties along the course and delicatessen, Bayonne ham, oysters, barbecued beef, cheese, fruits, ice creams, « grenierMédocain »

Edited by dcon 2009-10-29 12:03 AM
2009-10-29 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Saw my foot doc this morning; he says it's time to get back to running and no more PT. He says to start with vigorous walking, 2 miles this weekend, ice afterward. From there I keep at the vigorous walking twice a week and start to add in a very little bit of jogging, ice afterward. Continue to increase the distance and frequency of the running but build it up very slowly. He said that 3 months of rest, cortisone, and 2 months of therapy is enough to get this better and that basically I should push through the pain! I'm scared!

I'm gonna talk to my therapist about what I can/should do at home.

Wish me well!
2009-10-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2486395

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-10-29 7:54 AM Saw my foot doc this morning; he says it's time to get back to running and no more PT. He says to start with vigorous walking, 2 miles this weekend, ice afterward. From there I keep at the vigorous walking twice a week and start to add in a very little bit of jogging, ice afterward. Continue to increase the distance and frequency of the running but build it up very slowly. He said that 3 months of rest, cortisone, and 2 months of therapy is enough to get this better and that basically I should push through the pain! I'm scared!

I'm gonna talk to my therapist about what I can/should do at home.

Wish me well!

well thats good news but I can see how you would be leary and scared! make sure not to push too hard and ice ice ice....and elevate, I would think! 

have a good run

look forward to hearing all about how good your foot feels after...

ok...so, Im being an optimist! good luck Nicole

2009-10-29 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2475211

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-10-23 5:38 AM

Congrats on the promotion Cheri!!!! thats awesome! but sorry it is cutting into your training time! 

2009-11-04 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2487106

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Congrats on your promotion Cheri!

I am starting to feel a bit better after the respiratory & staph infection I had a few weeks ago.  My energy is slowly returning and I hope to start a walk/run program this weekend.  Lots of people here are coming down with the flu (some were confirmed H1N1 cases).  I keep washing those hands and using the hand sanitizer when I am out.  Keeping my fingers crossed that me and the kids don't come down with it.  I am having mixed feelings about the H1N1 vaccination.  I still have a few weeks to think about it before it will be offered at work.  Have you guys received yours?

Hope everyone is doing well and everyone stays healthy. 

Hugs to all of you...

Karen

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-10-29 11:39 AM

Congrats on the promotion Cheri!!!! thats awesome! but sorry it is cutting into your training time! 

2009-11-06 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2498362

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

kew - 2009-11-04 7:13 PM

Congrats on your promotion Cheri!

I am starting to feel a bit better after the respiratory & staph infection I had a few weeks ago.  My energy is slowly returning and I hope to start a walk/run program this weekend.  Lots of people here are coming down with the flu (some were confirmed H1N1 cases).  I keep washing those hands and using the hand sanitizer when I am out.  Keeping my fingers crossed that me and the kids don't come down with it.  I am having mixed feelings about the H1N1 vaccination.  I still have a few weeks to think about it before it will be offered at work.  Have you guys received yours?

Hope everyone is doing well and everyone stays healthy. 

Hugs to all of you...

Karen

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-10-29 11:39 AM

wow...sorry you have been sick! feel better soon! and wash wash WASH those hands!

2009-11-07 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Karen, glad you are feeling better! Are you still planning on racing next weekend?

Julee, best of luck on your 25K tomorrow. Sorry I could't join you, but I got close to 9 miles in this morning.

Nicole, hope your foot is holding up.

Dan, you look like you've been really busy this week!

Cheri, hope your enjoying your new job and not working too hard!

Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend!

Edited by lufferly 2009-11-07 7:54 PM
2009-11-10 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2502905

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

No race this weekend for me .  Have signed up for a spin class on Saturday and then off with the girls for brunch on Sunday.  Will try to fit in a run sometime this weekend. 

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone and train safe.

K.

lufferly - 2009-11-07 5:51 PM Karen, glad you are feeling better! Are you still planning on racing next weekend?

Julee, best of luck on your 25K tomorrow. Sorry I could't join you, but I got close to 9 miles in this morning.

Nicole, hope your foot is holding up.

Dan, you look like you've been really busy this week!

Cheri, hope your enjoying your new job and not working too hard!

Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend!

2009-11-10 9:51 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I've actually already signed up for a tri that isn't until August! I decided that I wanted to do Iron Girl solo next year. Registration opened on Tuesday Nov3 at 9am and closed out in under 36 hours! Crazy!

2009-11-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2508082

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

That's great!   I was thinking this morning that I need to start setting some goals for 2010.  Thinking of doing a Sprint in late April and an Olympic in early May.  I would love to do a Half next year, but I have lost so many months of training I don't know if I would be ready by June. 

What other races do you have planned for 2010?

MDHillSlug - 2009-11-10 7:51 PM I've actually already signed up for a tri that isn't until August! I decided that I wanted to do Iron Girl solo next year. Registration opened on Tuesday Nov3 at 9am and closed out in under 36 hours! Crazy!

2009-11-11 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2508634

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
kew - 2009-11-11 11:30 AM

That's great!   I was thinking this morning that I need to start setting some goals for 2010.  Thinking of doing a Sprint in late April and an Olympic in early May.  I would love to do a Half next year, but I have lost so many months of training I don't know if I would be ready by June. 

What other races do you have planned for 2010?

MDHillSlug - 2009-11-10 7:51 PM I've actually already signed up for a tri that isn't until August! I decided that I wanted to do Iron Girl solo next year. Registration opened on Tuesday Nov3 at 9am and closed out in under 36 hours! Crazy!

Everything else is tentative at this point but I'm thinking of only doing swim/bike events before Iron Girl:

May: Rocketts Landing Oly-distance swim/bike
June: Tour de Cure metric century, maybe a relay (swimmer) for a new tri that uses the Iron Girl routes
July: Colonial Beach Oly-distance swim/bike
August: Iron Girl
September:Sandman sprint tri (the perfect combination of tri and beach vacation)

I'm really taking a step backward with my running, trying to put as little pressure on it as possible. Besides, this lets me concentrate on my two favorite tri events

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-11-11 10:42 AM
2009-11-12 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hello Group- remember me!?

Well this is the first week since August that I have felt relief from work so I thought I would check in. I have re-evaluated some things and have set some training/race goals so I will be logging my training again, that way I will get on here and check in with everyone.

Is everyone just continuing with this group through next year, or are you going to join a new one?

Julie- I have missed you very much...since we have been grouped together the past two years it is hard not to become attached. I hope your new job is exciting, and I can relate to getting things under control there before you can concentrate on training...that is why I haven't really trained for 2.5 months. So take your time get acclamated and then return with a new perspective.

Cheri- It looks like you got a new job also!? How is that for you. I'm still debating on doing the gulf coast HIM this spring!? Have to wait and see how my new store goes. I'm moving into a small store front location in town and moving the business from my home base operation. I'M VERY EXCITED!!!! New local is open January 2010.

Lisa - What is on your plate right now!? I know you said you liked the cooler weather...do you have any races soon?? I might be driving to Dallas in two weeks, I know it's not close, but is in the same state....ha

I miss everyone and watching your progress, but hope to become a regular again!!!

Take Care...Always keep tri-ing!!!
Love from Indiana,
Amy

2009-11-13 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2510597

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Welcome back, AMY!  We've missed you.  That's exciting news about opening your store.  You'll have to keep us posted on that.  Will you have a website for the store?

I'm registered for a 5 mile run on Turkey Day that I'll do with my daughter's best friend (she's my 2nd daughter). 

Then I've got my half mary coming up on December 5th in Memphis.  My husband and 11 year old are going with me, and we'll be meeting up with my MIL, SIL, and my niece who I've run my other halfs with.  I'm feeling really good right now and just have to decide if I want to go for a better time or stick with my niece (who hasn't been training as much).  My son will be doing the family race, logging his miles in before Memphis, and doing the last mile there for his medal ... so I'll get another mile in with him after I'm done with my 13.1.

Then I've got another HM on January 10th with some in my running group who didn't get in to the Houston Half/Marathon.  Then my son and I are doing the 5K the morning of the Houston Marathon and volunteering so that we can cheer for my running group.

I'm just so thankful that the weather has been so wonderful lately.  This summer just about killed me!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168