General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Trouble Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-23 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: Treadmill Trouble

First, I searched the forum posts over the last 6 months and did not find anything related to my specific issue.

I just started running a treadmill on Sunday.  I did 1 hour Sunday, 1 hour Wednesday, and 1/2 hour last night.  Each time I got off the treadmill I felt like I was walking funny.  It felt like I was bouncing up in the air with each step and I considered just a weird feeling.  Then yesterday as I walked home from my work-out facility, I ran across a road.  I immediately felt like I was jumping into the air with each stride and landing hard with each return to earth.  I tried 4 more times to "run correctly" on the way home and just couldn't shake the odd bouncy stride effect.

Does this happen to others?  Is there a solution?  Does it adversly affect outdoor running in the longrun?

Thanks.

2009-01-23 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1925349

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Treadmill Trouble

A little on the "cons" of running on one.  I'd say the last item is probably what's prevalent here:

Running Bio-Mechanics

In addition to the wind resistance problem, there is some evidence that running bio-mechanics are different when running on the treadmill. There have been very few conclusive studies done on the running form differences between treadmill and free range running. The studies that have been done have presented some rather conflicting data. Here is a brief summary of the reported running mechanics problems that have been associated with treadmill running.

• Stride Length - There have been reports of stride length being both longer and shorter than outside running. One study on the effects of treadmill running came up with some very interesting data. The study used one group of subjects that were very experienced runners and compared them to a group of new runners. The results showed that the more experienced group had longer strides when running on the treadmill, compared to their same pace when running outside. The interesting part is that the inexperienced group had the exact opposite result. They had shorter stride lengths on the treadmill than they did when running outside. More research is needed to determine why this happens and if it happens consistently to a large group of runners.
  • Longer Support Time - Support time is the amount of time that your support leg spends on the ground. Some runners tend to spend more time on their support leg when running on the treadmill.  In order to maximize your running efficiency your support time should be kept at a minimum. If your support leg is on the ground longer, you are probably not running as efficiently as you could be. This increase in support time is probably caused by an unconscious desire to provide a more stable running base on the moving and somewhat unstable treadmill.
  • Less Forward Lean - Some studies have determined that some athletes run with less of a forward lean when running on the treadmill. This can cause more energy being wasted on up and down motion and less energy focused on forward momentum.
2009-01-23 1:02 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
I had a similar feeling where when I got off the treadmill it would feel like I was walking 100 times faster than I actually was. That sensation eventually went away as I ran on the treadmill more and more. I likened that feeling to when I would get out of the pool the first few times. I would be really dizzy, but that sensation also went away with time.
2009-01-23 1:38 PM

User image

over a barrier
Sometimes it feels the same as you're coming off one of those moving walk ways at the air port. Its just feels different....I don't feel that anymore, only when I started using a treadmill.
2009-01-23 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Thanks so far everyone.  To be clear as other read this, it is not just a feeling.  It is something related to the running mechanics offered by Daremo's post.  When I ran afterward I really was "jumping" into the air (kind of) and landing hard.  And I really was unable (directly after the treadmill anyway) to run "normal".

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Trouble Rss Feed