In Motion
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 20s
Overall Rank = 2559/7148
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 92/418
Pre-race routine:

After a fit-full night of sleep I got up at 5 and headed downstairs to dress and get hot tea and some dry cereal banana and flat out with PB. Got to the Running Center around 6:25 and chatted with the other runners meeting there.
Event warmup:

Jogged over to the race start and then did some accelerations back and forth in my wave group corral (3). Dynamic stretching as well.
Run
  • 1h 59m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out running with a woman I had met that morning and we kept together until I had to stop at the PP. It was quick, but I never did catch up with her. The first five miles were really easy and I enjoyed the scenery (ocean and breakers) and just focused on keeping my pace. At the 6 mile mark I saw I was still on pace for an under 2:00 finish, so I really kept my eye on my pace and tried to use my arms to glide up the hills and momentum to float down. I hit under 8 per mile downhill. Ate my performance gels and hammer at miles 3, 6 and 10 to make sure my legs could continue to turnover.

At one point in the run around mile 8, my vision kind of condensed itself and I felt like I was in my own little area just running along -- maybe a zone? My mind didn't like that it wasn't in charge though so when my Garmin decided to do weird things my mind and fingers began trying to tap the bezel and change the screen back to training mode. This slowed me down and I finally decided I'd just have to go on feel as to how hard to run. I drank a bit of water or Ultima at all but 2 stations. Drank on the run, never walked once. My right ITB started hurting -- told myself, "It's just pain." that doesn't mean you have to stop. Then a few aches and pains began in various leg and hip areas -- again, stopping, not an option. I wasn't Injured, my muscles, tendons whatever were just letting me know they were working hard. I appreciate them. :) At the 10 mile mark, I thought this is just a 5K now. I can run a 5K. Go, go. And I managed to pass some people and felt my legs turnover a bit faster. I didn't have any sprint left in me at the end, but I sure did have a decent pace. My knee hurt yesterday, especially going down the stairs, but ice and some aspirin sure helped. It was a good run but since the Garmin didn't work I didn't know my time. The clock at the finish wasn't right since we started in wave 3 and it was a few minutes after the first two waves. I was hopeful for under 2:00 but wasn't sure. Last year was my first 1/2 marathon and I ran it in 2:28 or something like that, so taking nearly 30 minutes off in a year is pretty good, me thinks. I know the learning curve will level out eventually, but for now I'm enjoying the signs of progress and knowing that I've worked hard for the results.
What would you do differently?:

Forget the damn watch and just run when it konked out.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched a bit, but went into the expo tent because I got really cold. Ate some samples of cliff bar and drank a bottle of water. The food bag they gave us was kind of lame - mostly junk food and an overripe banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Messing with my watch and my knee pain.

Event comments:

These organizers have it down. Excellent water stations and volunteers. The bands at about each mile were fun sometimes, except for the laid back blues guys (I love the blues, but not during a marathon or 1/2). Really good expo and great support. This is my second year doing this race and the 4th 1/2 mary. It is the most supported by volunteers and best organized although America's Finest City takes a close second.

I didn't get my official time until Todd (thanks again) found it online and I was pretty happy to know I'm now a sub 2:00 1/2 marathoner. Next goal will be to run it faster, of course. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:20 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 92/418
Overall: 2559/7148
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat with a few gradual hills and nice ocean views. I run around here frequently and ran the course twice before the race in training runs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-01-26 11:51 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: Carlsbad Half Marathon

2009-01-27 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1930843

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Half Marathon

Awesome job, Lynn!

I enjoyed reading your RR. You make it sound kind of easy despite the pains and Garmin related frustration. You have come a long way and definitely became a faster runner over the past year - just to show you and everyone else - what commitment and proper training can do! 

Following your blog so far and knowing how commited and dedicated you are, I know that you'll be faster next time around - you just have to believe!

Great job on and a good, solid performance!

See you at La-Jolla 1/2?

2009-01-27 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Way to go, Lynn! Sub-2 is out of the way...what's next? (Oh, yeah...pesky little marathon and HIM...I almost forgot...)

Great RR...thanks for sharing! Congrats!
2009-01-27 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey! THat was a great race. I agree a 100% that those volunteers/organizers were awesome this weekend. Water stations every 1-2 miles and lots of good spectators!

Congrats on the sub 2hr run.
2009-01-27 11:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race! Congrats on the time. That's a huge change over last year! So now it's marathon time!
2009-01-28 3:05 PM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
Awesome race Lynn!  Way to keep it up!!!  It looks like this is just the beginning of an awesome season for you! 

2009-02-02 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Great job on the half mary! Woo hoo!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlsbad Half Marathon Rss Feed