General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ten Things I learned During My First Year of Racing Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-02-04 12:20 PM

User image

Subject: Ten Things I learned During My First Year of Racing Triathlons

2008 was my first year of training for and competing in triathlons.  I raced 10 triathlons total -- 1 Xterra, 2 Half Ironman's, 3 olympics, 4 sprints -- and raced a half dozen road races, from 5k to half marathon distance.  My only fitness base was averaging approximately 20 miles per week running for the previous two years. 

Here is what I learned.  Hopefully it may help some other beginners:

1.) Get to the Race Early.  Very early.  I always made it a point to see when transition officially opened, and then tried to get there 5 minutes earlier.  There are no lines for the port-a-potty's, just like getting to a party late and everyone one is there --  when I am the first to arrive I'm not nearly as nervous and I settle in rather quickly.  With less nerves and feeling more settled, I don't have the feeling of having to rush, I think more clearly and feel more confident that I have layed out all my transition gear properly and I often times have a better race. 

By getting to Races early I have been able to set up and then have time to mingle and meet lots of other triahtletes and have made lots of good friends.  From these people I learn who has raced the course before and I am able to get many helpful tips. 

And most importantly, for me, 9/10 times when I get to a Race early I am able to grab the end spot on the transition rack!  This is huge for me.  I don't have to worry about having my stuff trampled or crammed between bikes and my transitions have often been in the top 5%.  I just love getting the end spot. 

If you think this may be a tip that works well for you too, here's another SUPER IMPORTANT TIP:  Go to your local Target and spend $15.00 on an LED lantern.  If you plan on being the first at transition, chances are it's going to be pitch black when you get there and port-a-potty's don't have light switches .  The lantern also helps with setting up your transition area and basically lights the way when you're just simply walking around.

2.) Don't Forget the Sunscreen - Ever!  First thing I do when I get up for a Race is put on suncreen!  Then I reapply when I get to transition.  This is important for me because I tan like a stop sign.  Nothing is worse than recovering from a bad race with sunburn.  And I always make sure to put sunblock on my lower back because my tri top usually rides up. 

I read Chris Macca McCormack say he puts on sunblock before ocean swims because it keeps the salt water from absorbing into his swim and that helps him with his equilibrium.  Whatever that means, I'm not sure, but perhaps another reason to where sunblock - other than so you don't get skin cancer.

3.) Don't forget the body glide - Ever!  Right after I put on my sunblock I generously apply body glide to my crotch, nipples, back of the neck (to prevent wetsuit chafing) and on my arms and back where my tri-top meets my shoulders and chest.  Chafing marks and red rub rashes suck and can last for up to a week for me.

4.) Ten Races is Way Too Many  I'm an obsessive compulsive type person.  It's either black or white - all or nothing.  I signed up for 10 races with the thought of using my Sprints as tempo workouts and transition practice ; using the Olympics as "hard efforts" or "B races" that would prepare me for my "A races" -- my HIM's.  The Sprint races were fine and the recovery from them didn't interfere with my training much ; but the Olympic races were too much.  I told myself they would just be "hard efforts", but let's face it -- when you're in a race, you RACE ... at least I do .  And thus the Recovery's did affect my overall training for my "A races" ... and quite frankly, with 10 Races, I got burnt out.  As the season went on I found it more and more difficult to "get up" mentally for the races.  Yes I love racing and I enjoyed racing often, but really it was just too much -- atleast in my first season.  And ulitmately I think racing Olympics a month before my HIM's had an overall negative impact on my HIM results. 

This year I am still doing my Sprint races, but somewhat regrettably, I am not doing two olympics this Spring I did last year.  I am hoping it will have a greater positive impact on my "A Race".  

5.) I Know Nothing About Triathlon  I read books on triathlon, read hundreds of articles, threads, posts, blogs, I tivo'd several different Ironman's and watched them dozens of times each -- rewinding transition segments 20 times to memorize how the pro's got out of a wetsuit quickest and how they layed their helmets on the aerobars, etc...   despite all my research the greatest teacher for me in my first year was first-hand experience on the course. 

6.) Follow the Rules and  Follow a Training Plan   After a season of victories and defeats, I've learned to put my Ego aside and truly accept the fact that I Know Nothing About Triathlon, therefore I must follow the Rules and Plans laid out so eloquently by those who do know what they are doing.  Training plans and programs are written based on experience and what has worked for other triathletes for many years.  Rules have also been established based on years and years of experience.  Here a few rules that I believe are absolutely critical:

Do not increase your running more than 10% per week -  after my second half Ironman I tried to train for a marathon in six weeks.  I went from 6 miles in one week (recovery week) to back-to-back 30+ mile weeks.  I immediately ended up with IT Band Syndrome and spent the last two months rehabbing.  Had I followed the rule, this likely would not have happened.

Nothing New on Race Day - Do it in Training before Doing it on Race Day - I never ate clif shot blocks in training.  I ate four before a half marathon and ended up with side stitches that cost me to miss a sub 1:30 half marathon by 103 seconds...  

Follow a Training Plan - I raced an X-terra and never once followed an Xterra plan.  Had I followed an X-terra race-specific plan it would most-likely include many hours of trail running and mountain bike riding.  The brain surgeon that I am, I bought a mountain bike the week before an X-terra and practiced all of three times off road.  On Race Day, with only .3 miles left in the bike leg, I was pushing way much too hard for an inexperienced rider, flipped my bike and separated my shoulder.  Sure I finished the race, but it affected my Olympic Race 2 weeks later (which in retrospect I probably shouldn't have raced) and just this past week am I able to do a push-up pain free.

7.) Do Not Race Your First Half Ironman  Covering 70.3 miles during two or three training days and covering it for the first time in one single day, in a Race environment are two different animals!  And unlike a Sprint or Olympic, if you bonk mid-distance you still have a lonnng way to go.  Unless you are genetically gifted freak, STAY WITHIN YOURSELF FOR YOUR FIRST HIM.

8.) Less is More    There's a lot of obsessing about nutrition and how to fuel during a Race.  I've found that if its a Sprint, I need a half bottle of water (or gatorade) on the bike and I'll pop a gel before the race.  That's all I need.  If it's an Olympic, I need one bottle (heed or gatorade or water) a gel before the race and one more gel on the bike or at the beginning of the run.  I may also grab a cup or two of water or gatorade on the run.  That's it!  And I don't even need the whole bottle of fluid on the bike. 

Bottom line for me is: if it's a distance of an Olympic or less, worst case scenario I can show up with absolutely no fuel and live off the course and be fine. 

9.) Toys Will Not Make You Faster   ...only training -- Running Biking and Swimming consitently -- will make you faster.  In the beginning I got sucked into the hype of toys.  After spending way too much money I came to realize one simple fact: the faster atheletes win; the one with the most toys does not win.  Toys momentarily motivate me to train cause I enjoy using them, they record and quantify my training, but at the end of the day following my plan and putting in the work is the only thing that's going to make me faster.  I need to continue to focus on my Daily Nutrition, Training, and Recovery.  Those are my three Keys to getting faster. 

My experience and opinion on WHEELS - I've raced with a disc, Zipp 808's, and my regular Easton Aero trainers ... for the level I can compete as a beginner, for me, there is no difference!  If you want to save $2,000.00 and shave weight off your bike, go on a diet and lose a few pounds!  I upgraded my stock wheels to a $400.00 set of Easton EA90's and the ride is much smoother -- yes.  But honestly, if I get a new pair of wheels it'll be for looks ; if I rent a Zipp disc set up for Eagleman ($150 bucks renting as opposed to buy for $2500 bucks - www.racedaywheels.com ) it's for looks and the mental edge I think it gives me. 

I did buy a few toys that I believe helped me: my Garmin 205 & 305 has helped made me tremendously with pacing; I traded my baggy swim shorts for a $40 pair of speedo jammers that did make me 10 seconds faster per 50 meters.  

10.) What Works for the Pro's May Not Work For You!  This was my worst and most regrettable blunder of the year.  I was following a pro's blog -- and mind you this was an age grouper just turned pro, not a big time pro -- and he would take in 800mg of sodium per hour on the bike during a half Ironman.  Sounds realistic and reasonable.  I had cramped hard at Rhode Island in July and the heat and humidity took a toll on me, so perhaps SALT would solve all of this.  So I tried it at my last half Ironman in October. 

Now the difference between this pro and I are A.) He has a coach B.) He's been racing as an athlete for 10+ years and has a mountain of experience next to my single grain of sand.  Needless to say, it was 60 degrees on Race Day and raining.  After I got off the bike my saliva tasted like the Atlantic Ocean.  For the first 6 miles I held back the nauseas and held it together; the last 6 miles I was looking for the medical tent.  I was at 4 hours and 36 mins with only 6.5 miles to go ... my first sub 5:30 was within my grasp; my legs and lungs felt strong, but once again too much nutrition / lack of experience / not trying something first in training and trying it first on Race Day ... once again my neophyte mistake cost me fantastic goal.  I ended up crawling across the line barely sub 6.  It took a full hour in a hot shower at the hotel to get my core temp back to normal.   

Hopefully one thing I've experienced may stick in someone's elses head and help them this season.  For me, I am going to print this out and remind myself once a month of what "not to do" this Triathlon Race Season.  Happy and Safe Training. 

2009-02-04 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1945362

User image

Subject: RE: Ten Things I learned During My First Year of Racing Triathlons

This is exactly what I am learning to love about this sport-   how people are here to help others.  What a refreshing thought that someone would sit down and take the time to write out as much information as you did just for the sake of helping someone you probably dont know ( and may even be racing next to you  do better. At my age, 37, Im finding most things in life begin to take on different values to me. It's no longer just about me anymore. Its more about those around you and what impact you may have in thier lives. I'm beggining to find enjoyment in this realization.  Maybe its not just by luck that I found this sport!         Thanks for the tips Dream Chaser. 

2009-02-04 12:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great post!!!

You should submit this as an article so many newbies can learn from your first year.

2009-02-04 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario

I can so relate to your #4.  My first season I signed up in January (to get the early sign up price) for 5 races ending in a HIM.  And I hadn't even bought a bike yet.

By the middle of August I was sick of racing and sick of training and just wanted it all to be done.  After my last race I did nothing for weeks.

Last year (my second season) was much better. I only did 2 tris and one running race, enjoyed all the training and racing much more. 

2009-02-04 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1945415

User image

Expert
Florida
KathyG - 2009-02-04 1:50 PM

Great post!!!

You should submit this as an article so many newbies can learn from your first year.

X2! absolutely fantastic writeup, and very useful!!!!
2009-02-04 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Great post.

I would add that instead of the lantern in #1, use a LED headlamp if you get to the race site at Zero-Dark-Thirty like I do...

Have a great season using what you've learned.

2009-02-04 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Great post

Thank you for taking the time to write all this for us newbies
2009-02-04 1:10 PM

Illinois
Fantastic post.  This is exactly why I love BT.
2009-02-04 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Thanks for posting.  Loved the fact that you rub your nipples, LOL.
2009-02-04 1:30 PM

User image

I'm glad so many have read this already and really truly hope it helps. 

Triathlon is a very, very humbling sport      

2009-02-04 1:44 PM

Master
Nice. Good stuff.

2009-02-04 1:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-02-04 1:57 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
Good stuff! Thanks for posting it!
2009-02-04 2:07 PM

Veteran
Boise
great post! i learned some good tips so thanks a lot. every little bit helps.
2009-02-04 2:18 PM

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

definitely some good info here!

Number 1 is one I will have to work on this coming year. Last year, I kept getting to races too late and scrambling to get ready can really throw you off...

Thanks for the post.

2009-02-04 2:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

First off I totally appreciate all the time you took to write this out forus ! Wow, GREAT THANK YOU !

Then I just kinda had to laugh, cause i'm assuming you do not rub lube on your crotch at T1 right ?.......

thanks so much

2009-02-04 2:26 PM

Champion
Alabama
Good post!

Here is my corollary, 1 thing I learned in 10 years of triathlons:

1.) Keep it fun! When I see myself getting too serious about triathlons I remind myself that "it's just a race".

~Mike
2009-02-04 4:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Great post!  Thank you for sharing your experiences!
2009-02-04 5:49 PM

Regular
New York City
Really excellent post - my own experience echos all of this, especially points (1) and (5).

Best of luck with year two!

2009-02-04 5:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks. Especially #7. I am training for my first HIM right now. Appreciate the advice!
2009-02-04 6:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO

Wow, what a great post. I have not done a triathlon yet, but this information is a big help. I would say this post is by far the best one I have read on BT. Thanks for taking the time to help others.

Ace

2009-02-04 7:01 PM

New user

As most people have already said on here, great post and thanks for writing it.  I'm a complete newbie to the sport and it's information like this I find most helpful.

Thanks again!

2009-02-04 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1945612

maxmansmom - 2009-02-04 3:19 PM

First off I totally appreciate all the time you took to write this out forus ! Wow, GREAT THANK YOU !

Then I just kinda had to laugh, cause i'm assuming you do not rub lube on your crotch at T1 right ?.......

thanks so much

No, when I get out of bed I first do the sunblock, then the body glide, in the privacy of my home or hotel room

2009-02-04 8:39 PM

Regular
Memphis, TN
Awesome post. Better than a magazine article. Congrats on a good 1st year.
2009-02-04 8:43 PM

Pro
Burbs
Great advice and v. well written!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ten Things I learned During My First Year of Racing Triathlons Rss Feed  

of 3