www.Multirace.com
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 20s
Overall Rank = 661/674
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45am, had breakfast (bowl of oatmeal w/ strawberry preserves, and a glass of OJ), took a shower, got dressed, and headed to the beach. Parked my car, and then had to move it to a better spot. I warmed up, listened to "NO FEAR" by Terri Clark, stretched, took the lovely weather, scenery and atmosphere all in. What an awesome way to celebrate life. I was ready. I had prepared by training, I had everything on my pre-race checklist (I can be pretty anal sometimes), and I was going to ROCK the BEACH!!!!
Event warmup:

Walked for my warm-up, and stretched well. I did a lot of walking to and from my parked car (I originally parked at a meter, but decided to move it and luckily found an unmetered spot... uugghh South Beach). So this walking back & forth was my warmup. I stretched my quads, hams, calves, ankles, did my bug crushers... felt really good.
Run
  • 55m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 17m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I was strong throughout my walk/run. I took more time to warm up, so the shins were much better. They still hurt at the beginning, but once I started the 2nd mile, I hit my stride. I think this is something characteristic of my starts... it takes me a good few minutes to physically get into it. I jogged much more than I did at my last 5K. I was easily the heaviest person there, but DEFINITELY NOT THE LAST TO FINISH!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!! At the start, some of the walkers kept passing me. And then throughout mile 2 and 3 I kept passing THEM!!!! Jajaja... I love that!!!! Also, there were 2 couples who were walking (I should note that most of the walkers were walking very leisurely - ie. it was clear they were out just for a fun walk), and a couple of times they would jog past me after I had passed them - and each time w/ a look back at me. But at the turnaround I was way ahead of them, and I very discreetly turned my head and quickly stuck my tongue out in a nanner-nanner-nanners moment (I made sure nobody saw me - probably will not do this again... ). I would've won the Athena division had there been one (jajaja... that's hahaha in spanish).
What would you do differently?:

Need to find out about parking in advance, and prepare better.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much of a warm-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would've probably performed better had I lost some additional weight. Also, I think I want to add more walk/runs to my training, instead of just walking. Clearly, I'm able to do it b/c I've walk/ran both of my 5Ks.

Event comments:

[I will post my pictures as soon as I can.]
Since my last 5K on January 29th - I'm 8 pounds lighter, and I accomplished my goal of beating myself - I was 1:01 minutes faster.
On a more personal note... This race benefitted the Lance Armstrong Foundation... Just after I crossed the finish line, a woman spoke on the microphone about her 37 year old brother who died 5 months ago from lymphoma. She mentioned how in the last year of his life he did a lot of volunteering and fundraising - and that he wasn't going to let the disease kill his spirit. I literally got choked up, & teared up. I was reminded of how gosh darn lucky I am. Not many of you know this, but I have been cancer free for 10 years! I am able to do so many things, and it is heart-breaking that this man... T. Estevez is his name... was taken in the prime of his life. I have just so many blessings in my life... and am so grateful for having gotten a second chance. Mr. Estevez would be very proud of how his family remembered him today.
On to the next event...

Last updated: 2005-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:20 | 03.1 miles | 17m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/35
Overall: 661/674
Performance: Good
My HR was in the 122-161 range.
Course: The course was flat. Starting point was South Pointe Park, down Ocean Drive, then turn around at the end of Ocean Drive and head back to starting point. The scenery was beautiful, and some a lot of changes on Ocean Drive (I hadn't been there in a long while). PS. I thought about my Venezuelan friend Felix (dragoman) as I passed the Versace mansion... Felix, aqui estoy chamo!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-03-19 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Ocean Drive 5K

2005-03-19 3:19 PM
in reply to: #131673

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ocean Drive 5K
Congratulations on a reat race and on a PB too!! I'd say beating cancer is a PRETTY BIG DEAL TOO. Congrats on the weight loss too.  Take care and train hard.  Isn't it great when your hard work pays off!! -SMO
2005-03-19 3:26 PM

Reading, UK
Wow look at that PB!! Your doing great!! Reading more of your story is an inspiration! Thank you for showing me how lucky i am! I did think of you while doing my 5k!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C x
2005-03-19 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great story and a great race. You rock!!!!
2005-03-19 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations Cari!!! That's great that you set a new personal record! Chica, what kind of a jodona move is that to stick your tongue out at your competitors??? Sounds like a sore winner to me Great job today. I think that it is excellent that you see these races as celebrations of life. They truly are. It is so easy to get caught up in the experience and the competition, but it truly is a celebration of life and health and a strong human spirit. Again, way to go! I'm very proud of you.

-Frank
2005-03-19 10:25 PM

Master
Boston
Awesome job! I had thought about doing that race, but am doing a duathlon tomrorow instead. The most important thing is not your time, but that you finished!! Just think where you will be in a few months...it only gets better.

2005-03-19 10:32 PM
in reply to: #131836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

Oye Frank... nobody saw my tongue (b/c it was the fastest flick in Ocean Drive history... notwithstanding Ocean Drive reputation)... but you know... these people would consistently jog past me everytime I passed them, and always with a nanner-nanner look back at me.  So yes...  I flicked 'em.

2005-03-21 9:33 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
great job. you are so right that we should all feel lucky and blesses that we are in good health and able to do these things. you obviously have feelings about this issue...have you considered doing fundraising yourself as you race? (if you aren't already?).
2005-03-21 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Thanks everyone for your good wishes and congratulations.  I appreciate them very much.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean Drive 5K Rss Feed