Gords Running Store
-18C / 0F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 34m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So my second time with this race. Awesome race, great support for such a small turnout. Nothing posted so not sure, guessing about 57-75 did the full 50 k, it is capped at 125 combined for both the 25 and 50. I finished pretty close to the end although I beat a number of people to the turnaround, and none of them passed me coming back, but they were probably doing the half.

Woke up around 4:30 a.m. scarfed a pancake. MMMMM. Woke up at 7, hit snooze until 7:20, drank a bunch of hot water, half a banana, cleared out the system. Felt good. Slept good. Slept good the Friday and Saturday night too. Had a good diet on Sunday, fruit salad and pancakes in the morning, salmon salad for lunch and pasta with tomato sauce for an early dinner around 6. Left me in good shape.
Event warmup:

Got to the Canoe Club around 8:25. Had to pick up my package. Nice bright green hoodie. A pack of sharkies and same water bottle as last year. For 30 bucks, by far the BEST deal in a supported race. Hit the head twice to pee, well hydrated, good to go.
Run
  • 6h 34m 25s
  • 50 kms
  • 07m 53s  min/km
Comments:

So, it is at the Canoe Club, so you have to cross the frozen ass river to get to the "start line", which is where Gord stands with his hand in the air and says, "every one behind here".

He said go, we went.

I positioned myself at the end, there was some slow stuff for about 250 meters as people spread out single file and packed the snow down for me. I hit my pace pretty good, awesome actually. My goal was 6 hours, which I was confident I could make. I ran what felt like super slow, 6:45/km just trucking along,no problems, not breathing hard, I felt strong, I felt awesome, I felt that I would make it back by 2:45 actually which was when Gord said he would order the pizza for the second time.

I took NOTHING with me but an mp3 player and some kleenex. The temp to start was cold but I had on a long sleeved tech, a running jacket (shell) and my old battered and bruised warm up pants that I have been using as running pants for the past year (I actually wore them for the second time at this race last year).

So I am cruising, the course goes south for about 8 k, have to pee, so I stop and pee.

I continue to cruise, hit the first aid station, can you say smorg, wow, they had it all, cookies, jerky, bacon, nuts, gummies, oranges, bananas. I grabbed a stinger bar and a couple of the smallest dental office cups of Ultima and was off. My pace was bang on, 7:05. Good stuff.

Continued with more of the same, heading east now, had to stop for 30 seconds at a traffic light right after the aid station, oh well, didn't let it bother me, just trucked on. Passed the railway tracks, then saw a train chugging along,a long train, lucky I missed it. Last year I actually raced a train to the crossing point on the way back, not the smartest thing but the mind doesn't work great after 42 km of running.

Chug chug chug, actually passed a couple people, got to the next aid station at 18k. The ice was forming on my beard but I was like, whatever, it wasn't that cold, by 10 it was -13 C. No bars here so I had some ultima, grabbed some fig newtons and some jub jubs. Continued on.

Still on the pace, was feeling good. Met the first guy coming back at around 19k, so in the time I had gone 19 he had gone 31, flying, absolutly flying, then the guy behind him, about 6 minutes, I called out his split, thought it was the least I could do. They were flying.

Chug chug chug, hit my pace, think I hit a walk break around 22 k. First walk break, no prob, had to go up a slight slope and figured whats the point in running it.

Got to the turnaround, 2:58, 10 minutes faster than last year. Felt awesome. Gave my 8 1/2 month pregnant wife a kiss, LOVE her for following me around. My dad was there, nice surprise.

No bars there, grabbed some cheap cookies, or did I grab a bar too, yeah, grabbed a bar too, I don't know. Anyways, also had some pb&j wraps, which hit the spot, a glass of Ultima, head on out.

That is when I felt the headwind.

Not much of one, but it was there, about 8-10 km an hour. Cold on the face, even though by then the temp was -5 C (it as around noon).

I felt sooooooo good at the turn around. I started to slow down. I started to walk. First I slowed to 7:30/km, no big deal, then 8, then 9. Groan. My legs got so sore. My feet were sore but not that bad but my legs, my thighs, calves, ached. Whatever.

So I chugged it along. Falling behind on my goal. Minute by minute. I felt every little uneven bit on the snow trail. I felt like crying. By 30 km I was at 8 minute a km. By 33 Km I was at 9 minutes a km. I was getting tired, I mean like sleepy tired. I was not breathing hard, but my legs.

Got to the next aid station. Took me 50 minutes from Aid station to turnaround and about 55 minutes the other way, guess I didnt lose tons of time there. Took 66 minutes from Aid station one to aid station 2, 94 minutes from Aid Station 2 to Aidstions 1. BRUTAL. I hated life out there. There was no one. And then it started to warm up and I had to carry my toque and gloves. GRRRRRRRR

For all my complaining I was not running that bad. I was hitting 10 minute run 1 minute walk for a while. Then I ran into this parked train and I was like, lets run the whole train, but that was a long train and I didn't make it. Ran about 14 minutes that time though.

Got to the next aid station (I call it aid station 1 above), buddy tells me my wife was just there but he told her that I passed a bit ago. I was like great. She is going to be sitting out there at the finish in the cold waiting for my sorry ass to roll on in. Grabbed a chocolate and a couple of those small dental cups of ultimat and I was off.

8 k to go and I was moving. I had been listening to old Q and This is American life episodes, they may have been slowing me down. Got some music going, I was flying, cranked off 2 10 minute sets of around a 7:00 minute pace. Awesome. Kinda fell apart again after that.

I made a good effort though. My split to get to Aid station 1 was 58 minutes, my split to get back was 64, so not bad. I shuffled, sped up, walked. Did a lot of undeserved cursing. I was not in a happy place.

I kept thinking why in the world I was doing this, what point does it have. Here I am, a year later, still stumbling in for what is last or close to last place. What is the use. Not fun times.

My dad came hiking down the trail at the end, about 700 meters out. It was great to see him. He ran with me a bit at the end, gave me some energy. Then I saw Marjorie, and my mom and Sister, it put a big smile on my face. "Sprinted" to the finish.

What would you do differently?:

Better estimate my pace somy wife is waiting for me for over an hour.

Carry some water or ultima. I was well hydrated and peed twice during the race, but, I always seemed to pick it up after an aid station and i think it was the ultima. I ate 1.5 stinger bars, a bunch of cookies and gummies. It worked, I think,for energy but I was down as far as liquid goes.

I need to get some sort of fuel belt, I just dont like the idea of it.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Wandered my ass across the river to the Canoe club. They were having the awards ceremony. At least I made it this year. Just caught the end. Had like 7 pieces of pizza. I was STARVING, having eating next to nothing for almost 21 hours. Drank two electrolyte drinks, a bunch of coke. Drove home.

Tried to have an ice bath, failed. Milk, banana, more milk, juice, shower, bath, crawled into the fetal position. Feeling a little better now that I write this.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know. I ran lots. Almost 140 miles in January, a high. I felt strong. I think I tappered well. The one thing I neglected was back to back long runs that I did last year.

That being said, I did better than last year. I am over my little crisis I had betweein 42 and 50 km. I finished stronger. I was 10 minutes faster to the turnaround and 15 minutes faster on the return. I will be back, I will be stronger, I will have more experience. It's a learning process right, and no one said it was easy.

It really is a great run.

Event comments:

Awesome race. 30 bucks. Great volunteers. Great participants, everyone super friendly. I suppose they could have more aid stations but what are you going to do for 125 people.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-26 12:00 AM
Running
06:34:25 | 50 kms | 07m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Gorgous run from Calgary to Chestemere and back. Path ways somewhat cleared of snow, better and worse than last year (I say that because there was less snow andless crusty parts but more of the path was covered in snow), especially for the guys at the end of the pack. Pancake flat, flat flat flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-16 8:48 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Frozen 50

2009-02-16 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1965498

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Frozen 50
Great job on your race.

Every race is a learning experience and you'll only get better and better.

Need to do something about that metric stuff, though; I'm still trying to figure out just how fast you were running.
2009-02-16 9:08 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great job Darren!

Long race and add to it in the cold with snow and wind..you are tough!

Great job and a PB too

Awesome photos~

2009-02-16 9:16 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Amazing....simply amazing.....you are a warrior!
2009-02-16 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1965533

User image

Champion
Calgary

jkron - 2009-02-16 8:04 PM Great job on your race. Every race is a learning experience and you'll only get better and better. Need to do something about that metric stuff, though; I'm still trying to figure out just how fast you were running. [/QUOTE}

That's what I figure.

Averaged 12:42 a mile by the end, so not super fast.

2009-02-17 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job!  Glad your family was able to see you race! 

2009-02-17 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia

Your race report is so detailed, I feel as though I was with you the whole way.  But wait, I can walk today, so I guess not.  GREAT job out there...beating last year's time is always an accomplishment.  Good to see that you're planning it again next year.  That's a long way to run....I am impressed!!

2009-02-17 10:04 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I'm so impressed, especially with the conditions. Way to keep on it. Well done!

2009-02-17 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Sounds like a tough race in the cold.  I am sure you will be stronger, faster, and more experienced come next years go at it.  Sounds like you could have used more energy out there, maybe more gels/sugar throughout the race.  that's just my guess, great finish though congrats!
2009-02-17 7:29 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Amazing race Darren! It sounds like you guys have some different kinds of candy up there in Canada Great work.
2009-02-17 7:58 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Fabulous job! 

That ultimate is well supported and not too expensive.  NICE.

You did awesome out there

2009-02-18 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Wow!  That's about all I can think of to say.  Wow!  50K and in the snow!!  Awesome job.  Wow!
2009-02-22 11:54 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Wow Ive only just read this!!! Way to go Darren... sounds like you did amazingly and I like what they have at your aid stations

Good thing you made it back for pizza! Sounds like you needed it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frozen 50 Rss Feed