United States
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 30s
Overall Rank = 65/119
Age Group = 45 to 49
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am to lightning, thunder, pouring rain, damn near rolled over and went back to sleep. Managed to get up, get coffee, sit down and check the weather via internet. Rain was all the way back into Texas, but it was moving, looked like a slight possibility that it might clear by race time.Temperature 58 at start, warming to 71.

Dropped the brothers off at a neighbor, drove the 20 minutes to the race site. Weather was the big topic of the hour, lots of consternation, talk of canceling the bike or at least shortening the route. Rain slacked off to a drizzle, then, lo and behold, ten minutes before race start the sun peeked out. Race director gave us an option to shorten the bike course, but everyone voted to keep it at 16 miles.

Setting up transition area was a bit of a challenge with the drizzle, opted to keep helmet and bike shoes zipped in my equipment bag, and covered my seat and aerobars with towels.
Event warmup:

Jogging through the puddles, no more than five minutes.
Run
  • 17m 17s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed the limit here, but it's been over a year since I've done any quality (i.e., speed) workouts to speak of. My pace was considerably slower than when I ran this two years ago (~7:20 pace), some of that due to a longer course this year, I think, but mostly due to lack of quality training.
What would you do differently?:

Train, lose weight.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Good T1, considering the conditions. Had to unzip bag and pull out helmet and shoes, but no big deal there, and mine were dry (unlike others). Not very far to run with bike, <20 yards.

Pick a drier day, but not bad considering.
Bike
  • 49m 46s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I was probably less prepared for the bike than I was for the run, as I have been riding at the most once per week, still trying to get used to the tri bike. Looking back, I'm happy with the ride, passed 22 participants and only one passed me, found out later he was on a relay team. Still, hills that I could hold 22mph on last fall proved a struggle to hold 16.

Also the weight thing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Mine was the first rack coming in, so real easy to find and rack, bike shoes and helmet off, running shoes on, and off we go.

Nada.
Run
  • 17m 56s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably could have pushed a little harder at first, but decided to hang back and enjoy the transitional leg pain.Passed two, and two passed me, so I held my place.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and weight. This is really too early in the season unless I make up my mind to get on the trainer on a regular basis during the winter and do some running speedwork while avoiding the holiday weight gain.

Event comments:

In total, nearly six minutes slower than two years ago, all of that coming in the run segments.

Good small race even though it is the Louisiana State Duathlon Championship. They said only 20 pre-registered participants didn't show, which was great considering the weather. Same race director as CajunMan, Rusty and his crew put on a nice event.

Last updated: 2005-03-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:17 | 02 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 86/119
Performance: Below average
Course: Normal course altered to avoid hospital construction, swear it was a good 1/4 mile longer than usual. Winding loop through a subdivision.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:49:46 | 16 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 55/119
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Two laps on the I-49 service road, two considerable (for South LA) hills on each side, four per loop, eight all together. Eight ninety-degree turns as well.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:56 | 02 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 74/119
Performance: Below average
Course: Same route as the first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-03-21 12:36 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Opelousas Rotary Sunrise Duathlon

2005-03-21 12:54 PM
in reply to: #132322

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Opelousas Duathlon
Good effort bear!

-Frank
2005-03-22 10:14 AM
in reply to: #132322

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Opelousas Duathlon
Nice work! And a blazing fast bike... 19+ mph with cross winds! And it IS early in the season... Imagine how fast you'll be by August! Go bear! Go bear!
   Whizzzzz
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Opelousas Rotary Sunrise Duathlon Rss Feed