Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Terri Schiavo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2005-03-23 3:49 PM
in reply to: #133295

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Terri Schiavo

Does anyone here think that Terri is capable of experiencing Joy and Happiness in her vegetative state?

I honestly don't know. But the question raises another one for me. Is experiencing joy and happiness the determining factor in whether someone has the right to live?

Not at all, but the other two options aren't so great are they? Flip it around, what if she has gone insane from extreme boredom? What if instead of joy and happiness, she feels extreme pain and anguish? There really aren't any other alternatives are there...

She has no hope of recovery, her cortex is liquified. Every neurologist has expressed this except for one that has been making the rounds onthe talk shows
Well I don't think anyone has argued that she is brain dead. If she were, why not harvest her organs for donation? The argument being made is that she can't swallow and that feeding her via a tube is "artificial".

No, she is not braindead. She is simply incapable of thought.

Final question, if you were Terri Shiavo, it's 14 years later, yourcortex is liquified, you can not recover, you are a burden to society,you are a burden to your husband, your parents don't want to let go,you may or may not be suffering, what do you want done for you and whowould you want making the decision, your spouse or your parents?
If Terri is experiencing anything who knows what she's thinking. That's the point. For all we know she may want to keep on living. She did not leave a written directive.  Even if she had, it would be highly improbable that it would have addressed the exact cirmumstances she finds herself in. It's not uncommon for people who have suffered a traumatic accident that radically alters their life to want to die. It's also not uncommon for them to change their mind and begin to value their life once again.

Your response is interesting. Two things, one, I wasn't asking what you thought about Terri's situation as it applies to Terri, I was asking what YOU would want. The question was posed simply to see if you would honestly want to live that lifestyle or die. Everyone I've asked picks death... The only people that don't, do it for religious reasons. Second, I find it interesting that you would impose your will upon me even when I've stated that I want to die because you think that I may "change my mind." My belief system is considerably different than yours, yet you want to push your views and beliefs on me with the backing of the government.

An important part of that question was who you want to be making the decision. I'm guessing you want the government to be the last person to make that decision. Of your spouse and parents, who do you pick? It's easy for me, I picked my spouse, I didn't pick my parents.

Definitely a hot and heavy topic. Polarization is occuring and I'm not sure why. Where is the middle ground in all of this? 4000 people have the plug pulled everyday, yet Terri has stirred up some emotion that I haven't been able to tap into or understand.

2005-03-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: #133261

User image

Buttercup

ChuckyFinster - 2005-03-23 1:40 PM 1. Does anyone here think that Terri is capable of experiencing Joy and Happiness in her vegetative state? Nobody can know for certain, but I'm curious what you folks think. 2. Many people have questioned how we can believe the husband as to her desires to be removed from life support. I don't have a living will and yet I have made my wishes known to my wife and she has done the same to me. Those of you that question the husband, are you calling him a liar on the basis that he never had the conversation and is saying he did, or are you calling him a liar because you think he has had the conversation but is ignoring her wishes?

The cerebral cortex is where we do our thinking/feeling, it's where our awareness and consciousness resides, where WE reside. Terri is gone; she's been gone for 15 years. Only her body remains, and a functioning brain stem.

I don't advocate that Terri be taken off of life support because she's checked out. I advocate that the state/political opportunists and hacks/media/POTUS stay out of this; nobody should be involved in this painful decision besides the family.

Years ago, my former husband and I had discussed what decisions we wanted the other to make on our behalf in the event the other had to make decisions. My mother recently told me that she thinks parents should make those decisions. She also told me that she would want to "take care" of me or my sisters if we were in Terri's place. I explained to her that I did not want to be kept in Terri's place; that Terri was long gone and that I did not want her to keep my body alive by any/every means possible. If anything had happened to me, my mother would have fought my husband even though I told him what to do - and he would have been in Michael Shiavo's shoes. My mother would have been wrong to do so. When I have my annual physical next month, I am discussing with my doctor how to word my living will so that my mother does not have to make decisions for me while she is distraught; she will only have to honor my wishes as spelled out in my living will. Have I mentioned lately - Get a living will.

p.s. The Florida Dept of Children and Family services is making noises about "taking custody" of Terri Schiavo. This state has gone despotic.

"In a brief conversation with reporters, Secretary Lucy Hadi said the department is considering all options, but specifically pointed to a provision that she said would allow the department to take a vulnerable person into its custody without prior judicial approval.  The provision states: ``[if] a person is likely to incur a risk of death or serious physical injury if such person is not immediately removed from the premises, then the representative of the department shall transport or arrange for the transportation of the vulnerable adult to an appropriate medical or protective services facility in order to provide emergency protective services.''

The department would first have to file a petition with the court, but could act before the court is able to schedule a hearing. Asked whether DCF would be hindered by years of litigation that have upheld the right of Michael Schiavo, Terri's husband, to remove her feeding tube, Hadi said: ``We're not required to look at prior judicial proceedings.''

p.p.s. Get a living will.

2005-03-23 5:18 PM
in reply to: #132794

User image

Master
Denver
No living will for me, thank you very much. I trust congress, the president and all levels of the government to know my wishes better than my family ever could, and I want my last act to be to make all my loved ones hateful and bitter towards each other.

It started out as a heartwrnching story, but I am growing more and more horrified by the governent intervention (legislative activism) in a private matter. I don't think the hypocritical politicians even remember why they're fighting anymore, its just about scoring points.
2005-03-23 6:00 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
As an attorney the thing that I find the most freightening is that both the Florida Senate and the U.S. Congress enacted legislation that addressed solely the situation of one individual. They did so ignoring well defined rules of law. The U.S. congress enacted an emergency public law that granted federal standing to one individual on one case. They did not enact legilsation to even address grevences of similarly situated individuals. In doing so U.S. congressmen explicetly and implicetly stated that they disagreed with the decision reached in the State courts. (Mind you, the disagreement wasn't based upon legal theories or based upon perceived errors of law, but rather upon their own personal view of the out come. They didn't like the out come so they changed the law. But only changed it for one person) Decisions reached based upon 11 seperate court proceedings, inlcuding two appeals to the U.S. Supreme court, in which the U.S. Supreme court declined to exercise jurisdiction.

This is dangerous. What if the composition of congress changes? Flip it around, what if the person wanted to be medically maintained at all costs despite a prognosis that recovery was impossible. And what if that person was an "undesirable" person, could Congress pass a special public law granting federal jurisdiction to those that sought to remove or terminate that persons medical care?
We are a country of laws, decisions must be made according to those laws. thankfully the Federal judges had the stones to follow the well settled law. The decisions of the Federal Courts over the last two days are well reasoned and well written and I believe reach the correct legal decision. The Shindlers, and inturn Teri were not denied Due process. In fact they were afforded a great deal of due process, more than most.

It is a very terrifying day when the federal government creates out of whole cloth legislation that is designed specifically for one person and one person alone. Be afraid.. be very afraid!!!

Also, you do have the right to refuse ANY medical treatment. Medical treatment cannot be forced on someone. That is the issue here. Whether Teri indicated that she would have refused the current medical treatment she is receiving. Based upon 11 seperate court proceedings before numerous neutral judges, that heard voluminous testimony, both in the form of witness testimony and documents. This testimony addressed both Teri's wishes and her current and future medical state. Based upon this the courts determined that Teri would have refused this medical treatment.

Whether you personally believe that life should be sustained at all costs is and is not the issue. It's the issue because it's your personal belief, and you have a right to that belief, and regardless of whether you would want life sustaining medical treatment or you would refuse life sustaining medical treatment, the Government and politicians should have no right, nor no interest in controvening your wishes! And what we're talking about isn't whether it's right or not, that Teri be allowed to have this sustaining medical treatment stopped, or even if her parents want to care for her. It's whether she, Teri, has a right to refuse this medical treatment. If there is an indication of what her wishes were (And the courts have found there is) then HER wishes should be respected.
2005-03-23 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I knew there was a reason why I need to go to law school. I didn't put it all out there like you did but I am on the side of the rule of law. (Read my blog if you want to know more about the rule of law as it stands in this case http://righttoquestion.blogspot.com) I am a pro-life advocate don't get me wrong I want Terry to live. But it's not about what I want, the Congress, the President, the Florida legislature, it's governor or even the janitor at the statehouse who seems to be able to weigh in, it's what Terry wanted. And barring any living will or document we have only her husband's word (however nefarious his may be). Michael Shiavo will meet his maker soon enough and the case will definitely be settled.

Speaking as a pro-life Democrat but conservative strict constitutionalists and Locke-minded gal it is a sad day when we depend on the government for our private matters. The government and its officials make a lot of mistakes. Tuskeege, McCarthy, Monica all come to mind. That's why in their brillance the founding fathers created a three-pronged checks and balance system. And it is a very scary day indeed when one branch usurps the authority and decision of the other just because they don't like what they decided. (The courts do it all the time!) That's a recipe for anarchy. What if all those Congressmen were eugenics who wanted Terry to be killed instead of alive?  Sure we can sympathize with them trampling the rule of law because they have a "good cause," but if we let them trample the rule of law will we then have any defense against the evil-doers who want to do the same? No we wouldn't.

Don't like the law change it. Don't like a judge's ruling, fight to appoint ones you do like. But throwing out the rule of law, no matter what your motivation even if it is for saving a life is a recipe for anarchy. You want that type of revolution then be my guest. As for me and mine I'll stick to the system set up by men far more brilliant than I.

Edited by infosteward 2005-03-23 6:16 PM
2005-03-23 6:25 PM
in reply to: #133372

User image

Buttercup
What I find ominous and scary is these same politicians are denigrating the JUDGES for interpreting the law without bias. They are indignant because the judges don't bend to the will of the politicians and "the people". HUH? Isn't that why we have this branch of government, to protect us from personal law? The judges aren't supposed to bend to anyone's will. They are supposed to interpret the law. Banana Republic, here we come.

2005-03-23 7:24 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

http://slate.msn.com/id/2115218/ --This one makes a good point about the sanctity of marriage as it relates to this case.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2115064/ -- General info about the case. In particular, read what it says about laws applying to only one person. Interesting.....

2005-03-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: #133027

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Motivated - 2005-03-22 9:58 PM

#2. We don't treat stray dogs the way we're treating this woman. I dare any one of you to sit in her room right now, watching her lips crack and bleed, watching her chest heave to breathe, watching her suffer of dehydration. I dare you to not give in to your humanity to want to give her drink and food. At least with a dog, they're put to sleep. Why not put a gun to the back of her head, what's the difference? Its a 170 grain bullet and instantaneous relief versus two weeks of absolute torture. I'll tell you what it is, cowardice and a very warped sense of right and wrong.

Except that all of what you just said is occuring is incorrect and medically untrue. Ask a qualified medical person what happens/occurs in this process. Nor is allowing a person to die this way an uncommon occurance.

#3. What ever happened to the sanctity of life? Have we become so secular of a society that this is purely a legal issue, something academic to be argued by judges and lawyers? For those of you who have children, don't your hearts break for the parents who have to sit and watch their child slowly starve to death, regardless of her condition? The posts above make you all sound like you heard from the woman herself that she wants to die. There is not one shred of evidence, not one, beyond her husband's statements, that she in fact desires to be dead. What makes you folks all experts in who should live and who should die? I never want to be in a place where I have to make that decision for another, not pretending here on BT, not on any blogs, not in any friendly debates, and not certainly in real life.

What makes you more in tune with the case than the 19+ state and federal courts that have seen and heard significantly more evidence than has been portrayed in the media?

#5. I am really saddened by this entire situation. How callous must you be to sit in your living room, coffee shop, or office and sumarily decide that someone should be starved to death, regardless of their condition? You can debate the merits of the Iraq war, of high gas prices, or who should win American Idol, but why on God's green earth would you offer an opinion in support of her death from where you sit? How can you with a clear conscience? You're just guessing, basing your opinion on what you've heard on CNN. You should be either in support of her life or silent. I don't understand how anyone who doesn't have first person knowledge of this situation could even begin to advocate her death. It is apalling and it breaks my heart.

I'm in support of the process. Where I chaff and speak up is when the process is attempted an end-run around by a sensationalist media story. This does not belong in the news. I agree that it is not our business to decide. It is the place of the family to decide. If they cannot all agree, then the law specifies that the decision can be made by a court after hearing both sides. That process has happened 19 times already! Her parents decision to turn this into a media frenzy is apalling, IMHO.

Whether we personally agree or disagree with the decision made by the courts and Michael Shiavo is irrelevant, as we are not involved in this case. Where we can and should let our personal wishes be known is to our families and loved ones, to prevent this type of apalling circus from occurring should we ever find ourselves in this situation. Unless we are involved in the court process for her case, we should *ALL* be silent.
2005-03-24 4:00 PM

User image

I have learned something from this and from a more personal experience that it is so very important to have your living will and all legally necessary documents prepared.  We cannot know if or when we or someone close to us will need them.

Someone very close to me experienced a catastrophic event that could have left that person in a very incapacitated state.  At the time, this person was estranged from someone and was very concerned about that person's actions and motivations.  The injured person had not disclosed this information prior to the injury. In the critical moments before an extremely dangerous surgery, ALL the necessary documents cannot be completed.  The documents that this person was able to complete may not have been sufficient to prevent the estranged spouse from making medical decisions.  Fortunately, the injured person recovered and the potential nightmare never came to be.

This is a very personal, very difficult issue.  And one that most of us probably do not address.  Please put living will issues/documents on the "To Do" list.

Edited by zagagirl 2005-03-24 4:07 PM
2005-03-24 4:06 PM
in reply to: #133027

User image

Karl, I admire the way that you have found words to express how my heart feels.
2005-03-24 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Daytona Beach

All I can say is, those that want to keep Terri alive are doing her a disservice. It has become so political that, no one is looking at what is actually happening.

The government only allows the people of the US to decide their own fates, until that choice can become a political tool. Congressmen and women do not want to be labled as the preson who "killed" Terri during the next election.

That's it. This is what the entire arguement boils down to.

Terri is not alive. However, her body continues to function. She will not get better. She will not wake up. She has no brain. It is liquid.

Anyone who says they are fighting to "save" Terri, is full of $#!+.

This has become a control issue. This is about the right to choose. And if you choose wrong, the government is ready to step in.

I don't want or need more government interventions in my life.

2005-03-24 9:32 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Anyone who thinks this is not a right to life issue, funded on both sides by Pro Life and Pro Choice camps, is mistaken.  I am very sorry for the woman, her family and her husband, but I find my sympathy dissolved in the face of these two groups and their idology.

And F*** anyone who says shame on me for having an opinion other than theirs.  Shame on you for daring to judge me, or anyone who differs from your view of the world. You are what is seriously wrong with society. You're wearing blinders if you don't think we are already on our way towards religeous fundamentalism. Judge me for differing from you? It's not your political views or your ideas about life, but your ignorant conviction that you absolutely know better than me what is best for me to such an extent that you feel you have the right to decide how I should live.

2005-03-24 10:43 PM
in reply to: #133952

Elite
Livingston, MT
tmwelshy - 2005-03-24 6:32 PM

p>And F*** anyone who says shame on me for having an opinion other than theirs.  Shame on you for daring to judge me, or anyone who differs from your view of the world. You are what is seriously wrong with society. You're wearing blinders if you don't think we are already on our way towards religeous fundamentalism. Judge me for differing from you? It's not your political views or your ideas about life, but your ignorant conviction that you absolutely know better than me what is best for me to such an extent that you feel you have the right to decide how I should live.

Amen to that brother.
2005-03-24 10:47 PM
in reply to: #133366

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I like your post ASA22... it basically says one thing...

Law is a process defined in what is for the greater good which includes sometimes protecting minority interests... but, an individual interest being defined by narrowly defined "law" is just one thing - WRONG.

What I saw congress create was not law. It was a political agenda defined in some sort of perverted faith based agenda.

Moreover, it was a sad ... very sad... politicalization of a very difficult and very private issue.

Why did this happen? Because we have a government that lacks political balance.

The current rules and procedures that being re-defined by this adminstration and the lopped sided congress will become the weapons that will be use by the other extreme... While it seems conservative debates are dominating the political environment... my fear is that when (NOT IF) the extreme liberal side of the political equation takes the lead... the very same stupid laws and/or actions will be enacted by the liberal side of politics. In the end, moderation defined by checks and balance is the victum.

What is needed is a more politically balance form of government. What the Schiavo situation represents is but a bigger problem... the fact that we currently have a one sided and single minded form of government. And, soon if the Schievo situation is an example... the only significantly current check to absolute power (i.e., the judicial system) may be negated by politics. Now... that is scarey.

As for the Shiavo situation... that was just sad.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-03-24 11:08 PM
2005-03-25 12:36 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
tmwelshy - 2005-03-24 7:32 PM

And F*** anyone who says shame on me for having an opinion other than theirs.  Shame on you for daring to judge me, or anyone who differs from your view of the world. You are what is seriously wrong with society.

*applause*

2005-03-25 12:45 PM
in reply to: #134161

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
I'm here till Tuesday....

2005-03-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: #133925

User image

Elite
Chicago
Daytona Bill - 2005-03-24 7:29 PM

All I can say is, those that want to keep Terri alive are doing her a disservice. It has become so political that, no one is looking at what is actually happening.

Terri is not alive. However, her body continues to function. She will not get better. She will not wake up. She has no brain. It is liquid.

Terry is not alive???  Her brain is liquid???  Who the hell are you and when did you examine her brain?

I suppose you know much more than the Mayo Clinic doctor who examined her and stated that she responds to light, feels pain, and show brain activity when spoken to.

You should hide your ignorance by not posting anymore about this topic.

Hey Mr. "Daytona Bill" I have an idea....why don't YOU go without food and water for 4 days.

Jerk.

2005-03-25 3:10 PM

User image

I will do my best to express myself so as not to be labelled by a political term.  I enter this discussion with the intention of only addressing it from a human level, not an agenda or party line, etc.

I have to wonder of the "will" of Terry Shaivo.  I understand that medical experts have determined that she is brain damaged.  But I wonder why she has stayed alive for so many years.  The human will has caused people to go beyond their own expectations.  Is there any chance that it is Terry's will to survive that has caused her to endure so many years?

Is it true that she has been denied therapeutic treatments at the wishes of her husband?  I wonder if she would have responded to therapeutic treatment and at some point reached a level of cognition where she could have expressed for herself that she would not want to continue to live.  For example, what if there was an attempt to have "taught" her to swallow.  Hypothetically, if she responded to the therapy, and acquired the ability to swallow.  Then, whether she swallowed nourishment or not, would be a sign of her own wishes.  Now of course, there is the issue of whether she was consciously or involuntarily not swallowing or swallowing. 

I know that no media available to me will tell me the objective truth.  I have read that she has been in a hospice for five years.  My personal experience of having friends and family members in a hospice is that the time there has been considerably shorter and the process was the process of dying.  Has Terry been in the process of dying for five years, or has she been living in a hospice?  If she has been living in a hospice is it appropriate?  Would it have been cruel and against her wishes to provide thereuputic efforts after 2000? 

I only ask, and enter this discussion from the human level.  Not at a political level. 

2005-03-25 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Steve- - 2005-03-25 1:04 PM

Terry is not alive??? Her brain is liquid??? Who the hell are you and when did you examine her brain?

I suppose you know much more than the Mayo Clinic doctor who examined her and stated that she responds to light, feels pain, and show brain activity when spoken to.

Good point Steve. The only people who are qualified to comment on her condition are the expert neurologists who have examined her extensively for the past 15 years (not withstanding Bill Frist's 1-hour expert video exam and the Mayo doctors 1 hour bedside observation). For any of us to presume to be more knowlegable about the case than the doctors and courts who have been examining this for the last decade is foolish and ignorant.

See http://edition.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/03/25/schiavo.doctors.ap/index.h... for an excellent discussion of her condition.

And to quote one of the great minds of our time "And F*** anyone who says shame on me for having an opinion other than theirs."
2005-03-25 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
tmwelshy - 2005-03-24 9:32 PM

Anyone who thinks this is not a right to life issue, funded on both sides by Pro Life and Pro Choice camps, is mistaken.  I am very sorry for the woman, her family and her husband, but I find my sympathy dissolved in the face of these two groups and their idology.

And F*** anyone who says shame on me for having an opinion other than theirs.  Shame on you for daring to judge me, or anyone who differs from your view of the world. You are what is seriously wrong with society. You're wearing blinders if you don't think we are already on our way towards religeous fundamentalism. Judge me for differing from you? It's not your political views or your ideas about life, but your ignorant conviction that you absolutely know better than me what is best for me to such an extent that you feel you have the right to decide how I should live.

Well said Welshy. There's a word for those people: Ayatollahs.

The Schiavo case is something that people of good will can disagree on. To me, the measure of our society isn't so much the outcome, but how we get to it. The exploitation of this family by politicians, the media and others with an agenda is what I find most disturbing here. To me, Bill Frist in particular has shown himself to be an opportunist without conscience.

2005-03-25 4:53 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I've been thinking more about this issue and this particular debate as a microcosm of the larger debate over Terri Schaivo's life or death. There is one thing that seems unrecognized: both sides of the debate have arrived at their opinion from a place of compassion. Everyone feels bad for Mrs. Schaivo and wants the best for her. Some people think that the best thing for her is continued life, in whatever state that may be, some think that the best is the decision she made before she got into this state. That said, both sides are coming down a little hard on one another.

Now, if I may stop being objective here and follow where my logic takes me.... There is the question of what Terri wants now, to live or to die. It seems that the majority of doctors don't think she is capable of wanting at all, but that's beside the point. Terri will never be able to communicate what she wants. Therefore, we have nothing to go on but what she said she wanted over 15 years ago, before this all began. So I really think that unless one believes that preservation of life in all cases trumps personal wishes, there is no choice but to do what she wishes. This, also, is all the judges have had to go on. And according to the law, personal wishes trump preservation of life in this case. That's all we're left with.

2005-03-25 5:51 PM
in reply to: #134268

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
The issue isn't about preservation of life vs. personal wishes. It's about a persons Right to refuse medical treatment as opposed to the Governments power to infringe on that right. Every one has the right to determine what medical treatment they want to accept and want to reject. The government should not be involved in that decision. I do agree that with you that both parties (the Shindlers and Mr. Shiavo) seem to be geniune about what they are attempting to do. I can't say that about Congress. And that is precisely why the Government should not be involved in these decisions.
2005-03-25 5:56 PM
in reply to: #134268

User image

kimj81 - 2005-03-25 1:53 PM

some think that the best is the decision she made before she got into this state. That said, both sides are coming down a little hard on one another. 

There is no independent evidence that Terry Shaivo made "the decision" before she got into this state, which is why this case exists today.  So, to repeat what has been said over and over, People:  have a living will, assign power of attorney, and do whatever your state's laws require. 

2005-03-25 6:10 PM
in reply to: #134289

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
What do people mean by "independent" evidence. The 11 Florida state court proceedings felt there was sufficient evidence to determine what she wanted. Additionally, three federal courts (the district court, the court of appeals, and the US Supreme Court) determined that the Shindlers could not present enough evidence to demonstrate likely success on the merits of the case. That is that they would be successful on re-hearing. This type of case happens on a weekly basis across this country, For decades courts have been determing what the wishes fo an incapacitated person regarding medical treatment might have been. (Not to mention that everyday we hear this type of evidence in criminal cases)

The point is there has been 20 court proceedings in this case, involving the Federal courts and State courts. They have determined that there is sufficient evidence of what Terri's wishes were/are. The Federal government, The State Government, nor any other entitiy has any right or obligation to interfere in that decision. Nor do they have the legal authority to set aside the rule of law simply because they do not agree with the result. This case has been an excellant example of why the founding fathers wanted Federal Judges appointed for life. They are not beholden to the whim and whimsy of politicians and are free to make decisions based on the law without fear of reprisals. And that is what happened in this case. Great job Judge Whitemore and the Justices of the US Supreme Court!!!!
2005-03-25 6:27 PM
in reply to: #134294

User image

ASA22 - 2005-03-25 3:10 PM What do people mean by "independent" evidence. 

You have assumed much about me ASA22  that is not accurate.  Surprised, no.  The Shaivo case would not be where it is today if there was a living will.    I have no business deciding Ms. Shaivo's fate.   But in ANY case, Shaivo's and others, having a living will go far in ensuring that a person's wishes are carried out. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Terri Schiavo Rss Feed  

of 11