General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inflating my tires - silly question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-25 10:07 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: Inflating my tires - silly question

Warning - I'm new to road biking and especially presta valves...

I attempted to check and inflate the air pressure in my bike the other night and had zero success. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong and don't know what.

I have a Specialized Allez w/ the presta valves, and a basic standing floor pump with the "switch hitter" head for pumping. I unscrewed the valve cover, loosened the silver nut on the presta valve(?), and then attempted to attach the pump. The flip/nozzle was in the up position, applied it to the valve, and quickly closed it. Regardless I kept hearing air escaping the thread, losing pressure. The guage on the pump never registered any pressure.

After a couple of attempts, my tire was pretty much flat. So, before I take it to the shop and look like an idiot, can someone attempt to help me out here? I looked up videos and "how to's..." but it seems my problem is connecting the pump to the tire and that's not detailed...

Thanks.

2009-02-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1981074

User image

Subject: RE: Inflating my tires - silly question
LostSheep - 2009-02-25 11:07 AM

The flip/nozzle was in the up position, applied it to the valve, and quickly closed it. Regardless I kept hearing air escaping the thread, losing pressure. The guage on the pump never registered any pressure.

Unscrew the presta valve tips, then when you go to put the nozzle onto the tire, the flip up thing should be up, 90 degrees from the pump's hose. Push the nozzle down until you get a reading on the pump's pressure gauge. THEN push the flip up thing back to in line with the hose. When you're done, flip the flip up thing back up and wiggle it off the valve.

The pump valve is backwards from the one you used as a kid
2009-02-25 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1981091

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
DanielG - 2009-02-25 10:13 AM

The flip/nozzle was in the up position, applied it to the valve, and quickly closed it. Regardless I kept hearing air escaping the thread, losing pressure. The guage on the pump never registered any pressure.

Unscrew the presta valve tips, then when you go to put the nozzle onto the tire, the flip up thing should be up, 90 degrees from the pump's hose. Push the nozzle down until you get a reading on the pump's pressure gauge. THEN push the flip up thing back to in line with the hose. When you're done, flip the flip up thing back up and wiggle it off the valve. The pump valve is backwards from the one you used as a kid

Not so fast...

Not all pumps are the same.  For some, the lever needs to be up and for others it needs to be down.  On my pump, I unscrew the valve (just a little bit, not all the way), push the pump head onto the valve and then pull the lever UP to lock it in place. 

I have both a Part Tools pump and a Blackburn pump that way.

2009-02-25 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I find that sometimes the valve sticks a little. Before I try to engage the pump I'll just tap the valve with my finger. Like anything, the more you do it the better you will become.
2009-02-25 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1981129

User image

AndrewMT - 2009-02-25 11:25 AM

Unscrew the presta valve tips, then when you go to put the nozzle onto the tire, the flip up thing should be up, 90 degrees from the pump's hose. Push the nozzle down until you get a reading on the pump's pressure gauge. THEN push the flip up thing back to in line with the hose. When you're done, flip the flip up thing back up and wiggle it off the valve. The pump valve is backwards from the one you used as a kid

Not so fast...

Not all pumps are the same. For some, the lever needs to be up and for others it needs to be down. On my pump, I unscrew the valve (just a little bit, not all the way), push the pump head onto the valve and then pull the lever UP to lock it in place.

That's how I said it was done in my explanation Up to lock (90 degrees from the hose) and down to unlock (inline with the hose) Specialized pump is the same way as your Part Tools and Blackburn.
2009-02-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1981217

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
DanielG - 2009-02-25 11:13 AM
AndrewMT - 2009-02-25 11:25 AM

Not so fast...

Not all pumps are the same. For some, the lever needs to be up and for others it needs to be down. On my pump, I unscrew the valve (just a little bit, not all the way), push the pump head onto the valve and then pull the lever UP to lock it in place.

That's how I said it was done in my explanation Up to lock (90 degrees from the hose) and down to unlock (inline with the hose) Specialized pump is the same way as your Part Tools and Blackburn.

Sorry, I must have misread what you wrote.  Regardless, hopefully the OP can get it to work!

2009-02-25 11:25 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Maybe this will help a little more. I sorta got a little confused.

This is my pump: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41269&eid=384

The flip was parallel to the presta valve when I attempted to put it on. After putting it onto the valve, I was flipping it 90* to try to secure it to the pump. This is where the air kept releasing and the guage never read.

I'm guessing I should go back and attempt to put it on the other way in case my pump is backwards?

2009-02-25 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1981253

User image

LostSheep - 2009-02-25 12:25 PM

Maybe this will help a little more. I sorta got a little confused.

This is my pump: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41269&eid=384

The flip was parallel to the presta valve when I attempted to put it on. After putting it onto the valve, I was flipping it 90* to try to secure it to the pump. This is where the air kept releasing and the guage never read.

I'm guessing I should go back and attempt to put it on the other way in case my pump is backwards?

That's what it sounds like.

Inline with the hose to put it on
inline with the presta valve to lock it there
inline with the hose to take it back off.
2009-02-26 8:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Geez. I am getting confused and I have the same pump.

The Flip is "down" when you put it on. Make sure that the valve is fully unscrewed, and tap it to loosen it (as posted above). Put the head on, and wiggle it on there until your pressure gauge reads pressure (a bit of an issue if your tire is flat...but for future reference). Then flip the head piece up to lock it on. Inflate. Flip down, pull off.

Most likely you didnt have the head on the valve far enough. Common mistake (ask me how I know).
2009-02-26 8:54 AM

Regular
Hamilton
Another question to further confuse (I seem to be good at that today..on a roll).
Wehn you put the pump head on..does the stem push back into the rim a bit or is there a little silver round nut keeping it from doing so? Also..depending on how much stem you have sticking out of the rim there might not be enough of it to get the pump head seated on enough.
2009-02-26 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1983020

User image

Master
North Alabama

kentiger - 2009-02-26 8:54 AM Another question to further confuse (I seem to be good at that today..on a roll). Wehn you put the pump head on..does the stem push back into the rim a bit or is there a little silver round nut keeping it from doing so?

I've loosed the nut. I unscrewed it pretty much all the way that it would go.

Also..depending on how much stem you have sticking out of the rim there might not be enough of it to get the pump head seated on enough.

Possible reason I kept hearing air escaping. That and I was putting it on backwards.

So, for clarification:

Flip inline with hose to attach. Then after the guage reads (I'm assuming the air will quit escaping), flip the lever perpendicular (90*) and begin pumping. When full, flip the lever back inline w/ the hose and remove quickly.

Sound right?

2009-02-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1983849

Regular
Hamilton
Yep..sounds right to me. The comment about the nut being loose..I was actually referring to ANOTHER nut altogether. There is sometimes a nut that thread on the stem and sort of pulls the stem out of the rim hole. Not every tire has one though. Something else to keep in mind is that when you're pumping the tire up..sometimes the hose will move a bit and some air can escape that way as well. Try resting the hose against your spokes when putting the pump head on just to give it a bit of support. There ought to be a video out for this sort of thing..I'll go check youtube and get back to you on it.
Ahhh good ole youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehf6HL0aLTc&feature=related

Edited by kentiger 2009-02-26 3:12 PM
2009-02-26 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran

Warning - I'm new to road biking and especially presta valves...

I attempted to check and inflate the air pressure in my bike the other night and had zero success. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong and don't know what.

I have a Specialized Allez w/ the presta valves, and a basic standing floor pump with the "switch hitter" head for pumping. I unscrewed the valve cover, loosened the silver nut on the presta valve(?), and then attempted to attach the pump. The flip/nozzle was in the up position, applied it to the valve, and quickly closed it. Regardless I kept hearing air escaping the thread, losing pressure. The guage on the pump never registered any pressure.

After a couple of attempts, my tire was pretty much flat. So, before I take it to the shop and look like an idiot, can someone attempt to help me out here? I looked up videos and "how to's..." but it seems my problem is connecting the pump to the tire and that's not detailed...

Thanks.

Not as silly as you think. I had the same problem with my Specialized pump. I recently figured it out (read: 2 days ago) and you are not alone. I will post a pictoral tutorial on Fri.

-Chris

2009-02-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1984107

User image

Master
North Alabama
Ahh.... thank you for the video KenTiger. That's what I was looking for!
2009-02-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1984107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson

That nut at the base of the Presta valve is there to pull the Presta valve fully up to the rim and hold it there when you are doing things like....putting air in!  You shouldn't loosen it.  In fact, always make sure it is tight before you start trying to put the air in.

Greg

2009-02-27 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1985689

Regular
Hamilton
Not a problem LostSheep..only too glad to help.

2009-02-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1985833

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
trinewby - 2009-02-27 12:46 PM

That nut at the base of the Presta valve is there to pull the Presta valve fully up to the rim and hold it there when you are doing things like....putting air in!  You shouldn't loosen it.  In fact, always make sure it is tight before you start trying to put the air in.

Greg

Agreed with this one. I double check this nut every time before I pump up my tires. Why? cuz once I didnt, and I was pumping with a frame pump (read: flat on the side of the road). I ended up ripping a tiny hole in my precious tube from having the valve move around as I pumped. Man was I pissed.

Let us know how you do.

The first few times with presta's are always fun
2009-02-27 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Damn, I don't think I'm gonna beat a video but glad you found an answer. Now pump up those tires and go ride!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inflating my tires - silly question Rss Feed