MultiRace
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 56s
Overall Rank = 67/231
Age Group = Female Master
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Friday Feb.27th: My Buddy was out of town since Thursday till Saturday in the night...and...we couldn't go to our usual/favorite Italian Restaurant for full carbos the Friday before the Race...but...I cooked for me a good pasta (angle hair) with ground meat and sauce...

Saturday Feb.28th: Woke-up around 8 am...Took a good breakfast: orange juice, eggs with toasted bagels with cream cheese/slice of turkey and brie cheese on top and coffee with milk...and my usual packages of multi-vitamins/minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine, and CO Q-10.

I washed/lubed/tuned my bike...then...I prepared/packed all my stuff...
Stayed at home relax around the pool.
12:00 pm: Took lunch...a good lasagna with meat and sauce...
1:00 pm: Took a 1 hour nap.
3:00 pm:Prepared beverages and placed them at the fridge/freezer.
5:30 pm: Early dinner: grilled steak with steams veggies.
7:00 pm: Went to the Miami Airport to pick-up my Buddy...the flight was delayed for 3 hours...arriving around 8 pm...We got home around 8:45 pm.
9:00 pm: Loaded our bikes in the car. My Buddy prepared/packed all his stuff and I took my usual hot green tea and went to bed to watch some TV till 9:00 pm when Buddy joined me...turned-off TV and lights and went to sleep...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sunday March 1st:
Woke-up at 4:00 am...Took breakfast: My Buddy took the usual orange juice, a smoothy, a toasted waffle with peanut butter and his coffee, for me...my usual orange juice and then my Super Soy Protein Shake (chocolate/coffee) and our packages with multi-vitamins/minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO Q-10.

Took our bags, coolers with beverages, and left from home around 5:00 am...the temp. outside was 55oF...when we got there already was in 60oF...

It took us about 45 minutes to get to CB Smith Park, Pembroke Pine.

When we got at the Park entrance...the 2 lines were short...and...moving fast...and took us less than 5 minutes to get in and park the car.
We took our bikes and bags with our stuff and ran fast to get our Race Packages, chips and body marked...

At the Race Packages Area...there were a board with the Official Water Temp. 73oF and off course Wet-Suit allowed...LOL

My Buddy got the Bid# 176/yellow cap and me the Bid# 172/pink cap (again this color)...grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Went to Transition Area placed our bikes and all our stuff together cuz we were in the same rack...
Here is a Pic of Transition Area after the Race:

Photobucket

Firts put Bids# in our bikes/helmets/belts...
Helmet/sunglasses over the seat, AeroBottle with Heed (Orange) in the bracket over the AeroBar, biking/running shoes, my hat and inside it the belt with my Bid#, and a bottle of frozen water under the front wheel of my bike and placed our bags out of the rack area...at the side of TA to avoid congestion in the bikes area.

This time we didn't have to check the exit/entrace at the Transition Area to see where were our bikes...cuz we were in the third rack next to the bike exit of Transition Area...easy to find it...

Then we went to the restrooms to do our last dump...LOL...went back to TA...did sit next to my stuff, relax, closed eyes, did a visualization of the Race...and took one Hammer Energy Gel and 2 Endurolytes with water and Heed...put my chip in my left ankle...some bodyglide over the right side of my neck and...put my wet-suit...

At 6:45 am the Race Director announced that everybody had to go the Swimming Area...we were ready and I took my swim cap, goggles and wax ear plugs and we headed to there...
Event warmup:

At the Swim Area...put my wax ear plugs, swim cap, and goggles...started to stretch my arms and legs...and...before jumped into the water...tested the water with my foot...It was cold but not like last Race...it was a little chilly at the beginning but just when I jumped and swam till the 1st bouy...around 200 mts...and came back to shore..I felt Ok and enough warmed-up...

This time they started first with the Duathlon in time like usual followed for the Triathlon waves:
Wave # Time
1 7:00 Duathlon - All Categories
2 7:05 Pro-Elite Male and Female and PC
3 7:07 Male 39 & Under (Age Groups)
4 7:11 Male 40+ (Age Groups)
5 7:15 All Females
6 7:19 Clydesdale, Male Fat Tire, All Relays

My Buddy was in the Wave #4 and me in the Wave #5...

Here is the Map of the 3 Courses together (swim/bike/run):

Photobucket

Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swimming was Ok...I didn't have any problems...a nice, fast and constante stroke...drafted in 3 occasions behind 3 faster swimmers...I was in the first pack of the first group of women and I was the 15th out of the water of 57 women.
Everybody commented that it was more longer than 400 mts...according with their times...almost 1 minute more...for me was in between 50 mts and 75 mts. more...
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

The T1 includes the run from the lake to Transition Area.
I got out of the water together with one of the leaders Diane Calloway (3rd Female Overall)...and...just out of the water...I pulled our the wet-suit till my hips and removed goggles, cap and wax ear plugs and put them inside my cap...and at the same time running fast...It was a long run...around 1/4 mile...also I reached/passed Nicole Swift (2nd Female Master Overall)...running in my way to TA.
When I got in the entrance of TA...I took a cup of water of the water station next to the entrances and run fast to my rack area...but...the first thing that I found in the middle of my way was a huge black bag...I had to jump it to get to my bike...there...removed the rest of my wet-suit, putting my helmet/sunglasses at the same time...but...my wet-suit got stuck in my right heels...but...even the circunstances...I pulled out as fast as possible and put my biking shoes, took bike and jumped the bag again and ran very fast out of TA till the desmount/mount area...
Even all the obstacles...I was the fastest in my Group and 46th Overall of 231 participants...
What would you do differently?:

Practice and practice....
Bike
  • 34m 34s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was 2 laps...an outside loop around the park in a closed traffic line and an inside loop inside the park around the lake.
It was a fast bike course...but...windy...winds coming from NW...but nothing that affected my performance.
Passed a lot of people and I really was not sure how many women were in front of me...but...I knew that I was doing great...in the top 10...cuz...I was with Nicole Swift...and...she is usually one of the leaders...we were passing us each other during all the bike course...together but keeping distance to avoid a penalty...
She got first and me behind her...and...desmonting like usual like the Pro/Elites but keeping shoes on...jumping off the bike and running as fast as possible to TA...

Train and train...
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

It was other and usual fast transition...the fastest in my Group and 39th Overall of 231 participants.
Just inside TA...I ran fast to my rack area that was very close to the entrance...the 3rd rack at the right...but...first...had to jump the obstacle (big black bag) with my bike...placed bike in the rack...changed shoes very fast...took my hat and bottle of water...jumped the bag again and...ran out of TA...

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Just out of Transition Area...running in a good pace...not too fast and not too slow...put my belt with Bid# and hat...and...did drink enough water from my bottle..tossed the rest over my head and neck...
And surprise...Nicole Swift and me running together again...in a nice/constante/fast pace...it was great...cuz...I could keep her pace...she was my tempo...till the second lap in the last water station that I took off...and...I kept it with other guy...a super fast guy that used to be in my Buddy AG (he already passed to the next AG)...a very skiny guy with long legs...Wuaoooo!!!....It was super-great...cuz...I knew that I was reaching and passing all the people that were in My Buddy Wave...and for my surprise...I saw from far...one of my Buddy's friend, Bert Soden (other one that is in my Buddy AG) and maybe 100 mts in front of him my Buddy...and...I said to me and to the guy that was running with me..."Ok...I have to leave you cuz I found a target (My Buddy)"...and...I took off...and when I passed Bert Soden...he started to cheer me..."Go Leonora Go"..."you can do it"...it was great...he knew that I wanted to reach/pass my Buddy...LOL...It helped me...motivated me to increase my speed till I reached and passed him...and I said to him "Hi and Bye...See ya in the Finish Line..." It was too funny...and...he said to me "OMG..You are smoking"....from there...I sprinted till the Finish Line...Yes!!!

Train and Train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...and...removed my chip from my left ankle...and...I went directly to the food area to get some slices of orange and went to wait for me Buddy that was just coming...

Here the Finish Line:

Photobucket

From there we went to Transition Area to get all out stuff and bikes...and...put them inside the car...and went to check the Non-Offical Results that were already posted....

Photobucket

And for my Surprise I got 1st place in my Age Group 45-49 but...I was awarded 1st Female Master Overall...and...also got 7th Female Overall...Yes!!!! and I beat my Buddy for almost 5 minutes...LOL

Total Time: 1h 12m 56s

Age Group: 1 / 3 Female Master Overall

Overall: 67 / 231

And My Buddy got 2nd place in his Age Group 55-59...Good Job Babu!!!

Here are the Pics in the Award Ceremony: Unfortunate...when my Buddy was taking my pic...there were a lot of people blocking him...and...he had to lift the camera and also the sun was in front and blinded him and he couldn't take a good pic of me...Damn!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here are our awards:

Photobucket

And here are the Pics in action:

http://eventpictures.com/app/event/searchPicture?eventInstanceId=16...

http://eventpictures.com/app/event/searchPicture?eventInstanceId=16...

Comment: When we went to TA to get our bikes and stuff...I had the chance to approch to the owner of the huge black bag...he was ready to leave....He was a young guy...no more than 22 years old...and..I went to talk to him...about the bag...very nicely...suggested to him...to put his bag like most of the people out of the bike area at the side of TA in that way the rack area is not congested and everybody can transit free without obstacles....and the guy reacted very arrogant and answered me "I put my bag in my space"...and...I told him...this is not your space...this is the middle of our way...LOL....and the guy turned his face and left......

Event comments:

Excellent Event...very well organized like usual...courses very well marcked...lot of volunteers and enough water station...
Good Job MultiRace!!!!

Last updated: 2008-11-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 400 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 87/231
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion wet-Suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:34 | 11 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 94/231
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:14 | 03.3 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 60/231
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-03 3:53 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Chilly Willy Triathlon

2009-03-04 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1994846

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Chilly Willy Triathlon
I posted over on RW too You rocked this race!!!! Another great performance, the other ladies must be scared when they see you show up to race! Well done!
2009-03-04 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Great job! Love the pics! You did us all proud.

2009-03-04 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Woo hoo!!!! more hardware!!!!!

congrats to both of you!!!

you rock!

2009-03-05 7:10 AM

User image

I told you, "Podium or Bust"!!  I love the pictures.  And way to hurl that big bag in transition, and then smoke the run and pass your Buddy!! 

"Female Master"... just another day in the life of Suuuuper-Vellllo!!

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-03-05 7:11 AM
2009-03-05 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
that's awesome!! great race Velo

2009-03-05 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
that's awesome!! great race Velo
2009-03-05 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Nice post! enjoyed the read. I thought about it but bbbbrrrr, that morning was cold. Your a tough cookie. Kudos to all who participated. I am a wimp and will wait for April for 1st race. Hesitated to do MIT due to injury holding up my training, but good luck if you are doign that race.
2009-03-06 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
WHOOOHOOOO!!!

First Masters...I think I know how you go so fast. they keep you off with PINK caps and then ZOOOM the blood pressure starts boiling and off you go, HA!

Nice choice on pasta...I love Angel hair. YUM.

Maybe I should start to take the multi vitamins like you, I wouldn't get so sick with this headcold.

Congrats on the win and love the photo of you...I talked to your buddy and he said he took it like that on purpose.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Willy Triathlon Rss Feed