General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
La Quinta, California
United States
Klein and Clark Sports, LLC
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 10s
Overall Rank = 183/395
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

With daylight savings time we had to set our clocks ahead an hour, so I got up around 3:50 pre DST and 4:50 PDT. I did sleep well though, especially for being in a hotel. Ate some cereal (dry) and had 2 cups of tea and on the way to venue had a flat out with better 'n' peanut butter, jelly and some sliced banana.
Event warmup:

We ended up getting there a little later than I had expected because of the traffic. The Oly people had to be in the parking lot by 7 so we parked way out in the overflow lots and I rode my bike to the transition. I had just enough time to get everything set up and go to the bathroom one more time (nerves) and get my wetsuit on and get into the water for a little warm up. If there's one thing I've learned in the past year, it's get in the water before your race and swim off some adrenaline.
Swim
  • 11m 21s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started in the 2 line on the outside, defintely more toward the front that I usually do. I drafted for a bit at the first part and then couldn't see the teeny tiny buoy (it really was smaller) and the sun on the right made it harder to see, plus the goggles fogged. I tried to use the tall palm tree straight ahead as marker and realized I'd swam a bit off course to my right when I saw the boat for those needing help up ahead in my path. It was either that or they had rescued someone. ? Anyway, got the buoy in sight and as I turned it a swimmer from a previous wave was treading water there. I asked her if she was okay, because that really was more important than me swimming at that moment. She said thanks, but she was okay. So I powered on. I did have one moment when I felt my wetsuit was strangling me and i had to side stroke a bit. Then I barreled toward the second, more visible buoy and rounded it with ease. The swim to the finish seemed long for some reason, but I may have gotten a bit off. I kept seeing people much further to my left. Anyway, I was passing some people from previous waves and that always makes me feel like I must be swimming fairly well, although I kind of feel bad for them. I got up and out of the water and immediately started peeling my suit off and getting cap and goggles off. I did a slight jog up through the dirt/sand and tiny pebbles that hurt my feet. I know HTFU (harden the feet up).
What would you do differently?:

Look up a little more between strokes to make sure I was on the right path to the buoy and maybe try and catch some more drafting action.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

I got on my bike and out to mount at the line and there was an SUV in front of me. Me and another guy are trying to get past him, but he's going very slow and I'm not sure why the vols let him on the course at that time. I'm yelling, OMG, I can't believe it, there's a car on the course. Move out of the way! I'm sure I sounded...well intense, but I didn't tell him to get the f out of the way, which was what I was thinking!

Go around that damn truck
Bike
  • 46m
  • 14 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

My Garmin wasn't picking up so most of the time I didn't know how fast I was going or what my cadence was. I decided to quit messing with it because it was slowing me down and just ride. I passed quite a few people on the bike and only got passed by maybe 4 or 5 others, two of which were women and probably one of them was one of the women who placed ahead of me in my age group. She was all in pink on a bright pink Pepto Bismol colored bike. I rode pretty well, but didn't go really, really hard because I was trying to pace myself so I could have a higher turnover on my run. I'm still trying to figure out how fast and hard to push on the bike and still have legs left for the run. I think I judged this fairly well though. My avg. speed was 18.4. I would have liked to have it around 20. Since the water and air were colder, my hands got soooo cold. They were numb by the time we finished the race and I had to keep shaking them at the end to have some feeling in them.

In retrospect, I could have ridden a bit harder, but at that time I didn't know that. It's all a learning experience.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

My hands and feet were so numb and just wouldn't move well so getting my helmet off was challenging. I couldn't get the sides pushed in to unlatch the helmet so I tackled getting my shoes off and then putting my run shoes on the tongue got slid down and I couldn't grasp it with my still numb hands. At that point, I went back to my helmet and finally got it unlatched. So, I'm really amazed all that only took 2 1/2 minutes. It felt like an eternity.

Velcro gloves to my bike and put them on during the ride so my hands weren't so damn cold which would have allowed me to unlatch my helmet and get my shoes on quicker.
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started the run I passed a guy who was walking and then a few others. There were several women all running around the same pace and we kept together for a while and I tried to strike up tiny conversations to break up the moment. Many of them had ipods and I didn't. It took about 1/2 mile to get my legs going, but then I got into a good rhythm and felt really pretty good even though I could not feel my feet. They were both numb from being cold, I guess.I was hoping my shoes wouldn't fall off because I didn't think they had been pulled on tight, but I couldn't feel it. It felt like my left shoe was dangling on my foot. I had put new Yankz in, but hadn't secured them well enough I guess. By the end of the race I was just getting all the feeling back in my feet. At one point, I thought I love running.(Yes, even with numb feet) And, I guess I really do. The time for me was pretty good and had it been a true 5K instead of just a 3 miler it would have been a PR for me. I did have a bit of a kick left at the finish line, too. The announcer for the first time said my name. That was pretty cool. :-) Usually it's hard for them to pronounce, I guess so they skip it, or there's others coming across at the same time. I was pretty much alone coming across the line.

Nothing I can think of. They had water and I took just a small sip at the first station and nothing at the second. I mean it was only 3 miles and it wasn't hot at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to find my water bottle (my favorite one) that had fallen off when I passed the SUV that was in my way at the bike start. I had hit a bump in the road and lost my water bottle. DH and I walked to try and find it and I figured that would be a good way to warm down. We didn't find it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold hands/feet.

Event comments:

I just love this little race in the desert. There weren't as many people there this year as last though. Probably something do to with the economy. The Klein-Clark folks do a great job of organizing and have music at the front end and back and a good announcer and nice noshing food and lots of water and friendly and plentiful volunteers. They are on time and it's really a great way to start the season. My DH says I should do this race every year as a tune up and to get a gauge on how I'm doing from year to year. I'm all for it. It was a really nice getaway with my husband and we found a really great fish market/restaurant that had lots of choices on fresh grilled fish and shellfish and salads, which is right up my alley. It really is a pretty spot with the reddish mountains framing the desert and the snow-capped peaks off in the distance. It warmed to 80 by the time we got out of there around 1 p.m. They do have long thermometers in the desert. Yeah for my first tri of the year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:21 | 500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 134/395
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:00 | 14 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 197/395
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangular course in the desert, mostly very flat and just an itty bitty hill in and out of the park area.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:14 | 03 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 180/395
Performance: Good
Course: Flat around the lake on some packed dirt, some asphalt and some sand.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-10 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-03-10 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2008436

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Awesome race!! Cold hands and feet make racing fun. Way to put a good effort in. You should be pleased with your results!
2009-03-10 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Great job, Lynn! Brings back memories of last year (especially trying to sight off palm trees on the opposite shore with the reflecting sun making everything tricky).

International distance for you next year, I'm thinking.
2009-03-10 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Great race and an awesome report. This is so inspiring to read. I am sure that you learned quite a bit from this race, and I enjoy learning too from your experience. Keep up the good job!
2009-03-11 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Excellent race report, I enjoyed reading it.  WTF is up with that white SUV???
2009-03-12 5:01 PM

Expert
Go Lynn Go! Nice RR. Love that pix of you running with those crazy palm trees in the background. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed