United States
39F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 40m 32s
Overall Rank = 4/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, jumped in the shower, got dressed and out the door.
Event warmup:

Since it was cold and rainy, I checked in and stood in the theator lobby until 15 minutes before 8:00 (race start). From there, I ran around for about a mile, and that was about it. The great part about this race was at the start line, I was able to meet Nat & Rick from BT. That really made my day.
Run
  • 40m 32s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was still tired from the business travel that week, and I had not had the week to check-in mentally for the race, so more-or-less I just showed up to run. Finishing was not an issue, but setting a new PR was.

Anyway, everyone lines up and the gun goes off. I got a good laugh because numerous people took off, and a father son sprinted out to the lead. I heard someone call from the side that, whatever their names were, they were leading the race. The good part was that they lead for about .25 a mile, then as I approached, they completely moved over so they were not in the way. I lead the race behind the pace bike until mile 1.25. From there the individuals that would finish 1st & 2nd came by. Other than that, it was a cold run in the rain until about mile 3. Then Brett from BT came by with a "good job, keep it up". I paced off of him for a while, but today was not my day to keep up with him. He started to pull away, but my goal was to keep him in sight. I had someone pacing off me the entire second lap, and I mean right behind me. I could hear his footsteps the entire time. Well, he would try to pass and I would fight him off several times. With around half a mile or less left, he passed. I could tell he had a grin from ear to ear when he did. Well, if you are going to pass me with less than a mile left you had better bring it, or at least have several Ace's up your sleeve. I kept him right in front of me, and when we turned the corner (@ .1 mile to the line) I hit the nitrous and when flighing by him. The look on his face was priceless. After crossing the line, I got my finish card. I was pissed as it had 4th overall in the top corner. I was aiming for 3rd, but oh well. Perhaps next time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, the business trip just took it out of me. No worries, I will get it next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-Down? I was soaked and cold, that was a fast enough warm-down for me. I should have run a mile or two, but I was freezing. I went to the car and changed clothes, Steph went and got me a coffee, then back to hang out until awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tired, not mentally checked-in, cold, the rain. Still no excuess, I should have just run faster. Or, grab a hold of Brett when he passed, and let him drag me around to the finish. :)

Event comments:

I love this course, and what makes it better is that it was for a good cause. This race benefitted childhood cancer (Jog For A Cause will benefit The Justin Gaudineer Fund, The Kylie Barry Fund and The Keira Grace Foundation), so that always makes a race better!

Great meeting Nat & Brett from BT, which had very strong races. Nat took the overall women's title, Brett 3rd OA. At awards Chris Kimmer walked up. He is big into triathlons, and used to live in my neigborhood so it was greaat to see him.

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:32 | 06.2 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 4/
Performance: Average
Course: Course is two laps. Both 5K's & 10K's run together. 5K's do one lap, 10K's do two.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-16 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Jog for a Cause

2009-03-16 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2019963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Jog for a Cause
What an amazing race.  I am so impressed.  I knew you were fast, but d*mn!  And after being away on business all week?  Seriously, you are hard core.  Congratulations!  And I'm sure when it's not cold, raining, and you're actually rested, you're going to get 1st overall. 
2009-03-17 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
That's huge!

Congrats on your day!
2009-03-19 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia
I'm a little late but well done.  I have decided that I will have to trip you in order to win a race in my lifetime...and by trip I mean knock you out
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jog for a Cause Rss Feed