General Discussion Race Reports! » Point Walter Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Point Walter Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Perth, Western Australia
Australia
Sports Performance
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 20m 55s
Overall Rank = 243/243
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 25/25
Pre-race routine:

The day before I ate clean and sipped water all day. Daylight savings switched back to normal time the night before the event so we were blessed with an extra 1 hour sleep, we had an early night to make the most of it. The race was going to start at about 6.45am and they wanted our bikes racked before we registered, registration opened at 6am. I wasn't sure how parking was going to go or how long the toilet queues were going to be and I really wanted to give my gut lots of time to wake up, so I got up at 4am to make sure everything was in order and that I got a head start! Breakfast was toast with PB + jam and a coffee, and I even managed a 20 minute walk with the dog before we left. It was about a 45 minute drive and we got there for 5.45am. I sipped water on the way down. Parking, toilets, racking and registering were all fine.
Event warmup:

There wasn't much time in between racking, registering and the race briefing! I had to listen to race briefing because they were making some last minute announcements about the course. There were three distances to be raced - novice, sprint and olympic - all started at different times and the course was slightly different for everyone. I talked to some friends and my coach, one girl from my club gave me some good advice about baby oiling my ankles to make the wetsuit easier to get off, and to put the timing chip under the wetsuit. It worked great! I managed a short run up and down the river and a very short paddle before it was time to start racing!
Swim
  • 41m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a hard swim. I've never swum this far in a race before and it was a big step up. The water was murky and the sun was coming up ahead of us so it was difficult to see the buoys. I swam hard initially and soon was only able to breathe unilateral. Later in the race I settled down and tried to breathe bilateral but the wetsuit gave me a choking sensation around my neck so I stuck with the unilateral. I was out there in the water thinking what am I doing here? There were two laps of a 750m course and it seemed to take forever to complete. I just sucked it up and kept swimming, wanting it to be over. My stroke was all over the place, I felt sloppy and I couldn't get a proper rhythm. Navigation was OK, it was difficult to see the buoys but I didn't swim too far off course. On the second lap I got caught up with the men from the sprint distance, luckily no one swam over the top of me! I finally finished and started running up the long hill into transition. I glanced at my watch and saw 40 mins, I was most disappointed, I was hoping that would be my HIM time, I'd been hoping to do this swim a lot quicker.

I'd Body-Glided everywhere I could think of except my inner arms, now my inner right arm is pretty chafed. I must remember that for next time!
What would you do differently?:

I don't know, it all just kinda fell apart. My coach said to me the next day that it had been a tough swim and that everyone did slower than normal times. I need to stop trying to keep up with everyone and just swim at my own pace, but with good form, breathe bilateral. This is what I'll focus on in the HIM swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There was a long run up a hill into transition! Did I mention this course was super hilly LOL? I saw my coach on the way up and she cheered me on. It was the first time I'd raced with my wetsuit but it came off super easy. Its sleeveless so I'd got the top part off by the time I ran into transition and the bottom part slipped off fine, the baby oil helped as did following my friend's advice to just step on it to get it off.

Not a lot. Baby oil it is!
Bike
  • 1h 35m 59s
  • 40 kms
  • 25.00 km/hr
Comments:

So I was feeling pretty crap after my swim. I got on the bike and started peddaling. The course is very hilly, there was one big hill and then quite a few smaller ones in between. There were some flat sections where I got up some speed. I needed to complete two laps of the course. The course was over normal roads in a residential area, the organisers were not able to close the roads for the event, so we had to negotiate cars, turns, roundabouts etc too. Luckily the traffic wasn't too heavy and they did have volounteers at the intersections so there was some control. There was a strong wind on the whole which was a blessing when it was behind me and a curse when it was straight in my face! So, it wasn't an easy course. I did the best I could with it and I am pleased with my speed. I had 2 gels and a bidon of sports drink during the ride. I aimed to get all the nutrition into me on the ride because I was worried it would upset my tummy if I took it in on the run.

The cycle time includes T1 & T2 so in reality my average speed was probably a bit quicker than 25 km/hr.

Erm, not a lot. If I was to do this event again I would probably do some more hills training which would help me go faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

You have to ride up the hill again to get into transition. I was pretty knackered and not looking forward to the run at all. I took a moment to steady my breathing, re-focus and then I set out to just get it done.

Not a lot.
Run
  • 1h 03m 31s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 21s  min/km
Comments:

By the time I got to the run I just wanted to get it done, I was so over it and I was groaning inwardly knowing I had at least another hour to go, it usually takes me about 70 mins to run 10k. Initially you run down a hill, then some flat, then turn around on the flat, then run up the hill again. This is done 4 times over. Whilst this sounds really hard, on the run I actually started to feel better. Running is my weakest leg but I struck a pace which I was able to maintain without stopping, even up the hill. I stopped to walk through the aid station to gulp a little bit of water, and that was it. I just kept going. All I thought about was Busselton and how much I wanted to finish it. During the swim and bike I was thinking about how I should not bother it was too hard. On the run I visualised myself running the Busso course and I told myself that yes, I could do it.

On the first two laps there were still a lot of people on the course. On the third lap there were significantly less people and I noticed they were packing up the aid station. On the fourth lap it was pretty much just me and a few stragglers ahead of me. The aid station had been packed up but there was a race official holding out two cups of water just for me! People walking on the path were saying encouraging things to me. The runners in front of me said nice things when they passed. The race officials said nice things. No one has ever been this nice to me on a race! It was very uplifting. On the way up the hill on the last lap, one of the officials on a bike rode along me almost the whole way and talked to me, it was so sweet. Finally I was there, I ran up the final steep bit of hill and I was over the finish line!!!

Nothing much. This was a super run for me. I don't think I've ever run a faster 10k. I'm always amazed about how I run faster during triathlons than with fresh legs. It must be all the people running around me that encourages me to go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and everyone knew I was last, they announced it and then presentations started as soon as I crossed that line! The timing chip lady told me not to bend down, instead she bent down and removed my timing chip for me! I was given a bag containing two bananas and some fruit cake, as well as a bottle of water. I went and lay down on the grass exhausted. I drank some of the water but it took a while before I could stomach any food. I had to find a toilet pretty quick too, my gut played up but thankfully not until I'd finished. It may have been all the river water I swallowed, yuck!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General lack of talent when it comes to speed? I can endure the distance, just not very fast it would seem. Maybe illness played a factor but I was pretty much over my cold but this stage so probably not.

Event comments:

OK, so I know this race report might sound like I'm just having a whinge, but I have tried to honestly document how I was feeling at each stage of the race. I've done a lot of thinking since this race. I felt really awful on the swim and not much better on the bike, but then the run went better than expected and I finished strong. After I'd finished Sef found me and asked how I went, he said he thought I was injured because it took me so long, this comment made me burst into tears! I am not normally so emotional but I was at that point, because I was thinking I raced to the best of my ability and yet I still came last out of the whole field, whats the point??? However since this princess moment I have done more thinking. I am fit enough because I finished strong. Who cares if I'm not fast? Three years ago I struggled to finish a mini-sprint and look how far I've come. I think I need to focus on my own race and my own journey and not compare myself to other people. I probably don't have much talent but I have gained so much from triathlon - new friends, better health, better perspective, mental toughness. The reality is, the other option is to give up, stop racing, stop training, sit on the couch and get fat LOL. And thats not an option! So I will keep going with this sport. I WILL finish Busselton HIM. I'll be slow but I will get across that finish line and get my finisher's towel!!! :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:23 | 1500 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/25
Overall: 228/243
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Two laps of a 750m rectangular course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:35:59 | 40 kms | 25.00 km/hr
Age Group: 24/25
Overall: 237/243
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two hilly laps through Perth suburbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:31 | 10 kms | 06m 21s  min/km
Age Group: 25/25
Overall: 241/243
Performance: Good
Course: Four laps of a 2.5km hilly course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Point Walter Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-03-30 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2048074

User image

Regular
Wesley Chapel, FL (Tampa Bay Area)
Subject: RE: Point Walter Triathlon - Olympic Distance
You rocked it girl!! You are learning what I'm learning, it doesn't matter what others are capable of. It matters that you completed an Olympic Tri!! That is an amazing feat!! You rocked it and did something that I'm not even physically able to do at this time! Be proud! I am so excited for you and will be praying for great success in your HIM!!! You Rock!! Awesome race report, very vivid and well written!! Stay Healthy and God's Speed!!!
2009-03-30 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Oh Magda. You are so, so cool. To have a race where you felt so bad and came out feeling so upbeat a positive..awesome. I'm so glad you found something from this race and have learnt a very valuable lesson...enjoy your journey!!!!

2009-03-30 8:49 PM

Perth
Maybe last in that field on that day, but like you said, you did an oly, not a sprint, not a novice, you have come a long way!!!!  You also are not sitting at home on your couch watching morning tv eating carp for b'fast.  Your husband, future kids etc will all benefit from the effort you are putting in now...

Fantastic job, keep it up, the feeling at the end of the HIM will be worth it, front of the pack, middle of the pack or back of the pack, you would still have finished something MOST people couldn't even think of starting.

Well done

2009-03-31 3:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Great write up Magda!

Congratulations for entering, and completing!  Who cares where you finished - you finished!  I bet a lot of those who did the sprint and enticer wish they could do an Oly.  Sure wish I could.

I'll be cheering you on at Busso as I'm only doing the swim leg.  (Assuming I survive Hillarys!)

NigelW

2009-03-31 3:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Your report is what triathlon is about.

Congratulations on your longest race to date.  You did awesome because you crossed the finish line. You didn't let the negative thoughts beat you. What a great lesson to take into Busso.

Let me tell you I raced one Olympic distance and hated it. I found it too fast, which is not good for the peeps like us that can go long. You have the endurance I think you will find the HIM experience far more enjoyable. Keep at it!

2009-03-31 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
You rock my socks!! You weren't whining at all! In fact you are so positive it is an inspiration! Hope you treat yourself to something nice after such a hard effort!
2009-04-01 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

Hi Magda

What a lovely race report, I really enjoyed reading it. You always include so much detail together with all the emotional highs and lows, which makes them so interesting, and I always look forward to them, I must have checked about 20 times to see if it was there yet :-). Well done on even attempting the race after being so sick, it must have been incredibly hard after the swim just to keep going but you have amazing mental strength that got you through. The restraint you showed in not thumping Sef was admirable, LOL. I’m sure this, along with all the training you’ve put in will see you successfully to the end of the HIM.

You’ve achieved so much in three years and you’re a constant inspiration.

Thanks so much Daisy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Point Walter Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed