The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 04m 34s
Overall Rank = 739/
Age Group = 15-29
Age Group Rank = 128/
Pre-race routine:

Showered, ate, and drove to meet up with friends.
Event warmup:

We jogged a little to gear check and then walked over to the corrals. On my way back to gear check (for the second time) I sprinted and then sprinted back to the corral (for the second time). To be explained later...
Run
  • 4h 04m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I got to my corral with 5 minutes to start and went to take a gel. Sh*t!! I left my gels in my gear bag! I made the decision to sprint back to gear check in the dark to try and recover my baggie of gels. I ran so fast and I was trying not to freak out. The race was chipped times so I could *really* start anywhere. I made it and found my bag and ran back to the corrals as fast as I could. I hoped back in, took my gel and the race started 90 seconds later.
miles 1 thru 6 were pretty good. I knew I wasn't going to make bq (not that I was trying) or even a PR but I thought I could hold onto a 3:50. No problem. Kerry, a running friend from USA Fit, caught up with me at about mile 3 and we ran together until just after the half/full split. I knew I wasn't going to have the kind of day I *hoped* for but I was easily holding pace in the 8s. (Garmin can confirm) As I made my way through Candler park and up to Ponce I started feeling fatigued, not in my legs but in my body. As I rounded that corner onto College Ave. I started thinking this was going to be a long day. I felt like I could just go to sleep right there on the side of the road. I made it up to Agnes Scott in a blur trying to convince myself to keep going. All I needed to do was keep moving forward. By the time I reached down town Decatur and the half way point I was negotiating when I would call the SAG wagon. I just didn't think I could push through the fatigue. Running down (or up) Claremont was pretty brutal both physically and mentally. I was ready to give up when I hit the water stop right after the turn onto N. Decatur Rd. and realized I was already at mile 15. This was the turning point for me and I just kept telling myself, no matter how long it takes me I will finish this race. Making the turn onto Lullwater I knew it was going to be tough for the next few miles but I had also just ran the last couple miles *pain* free, so I was feeling more confident. Usually, I don't start feeling bad in a marathon until the 15 or 16 mile mark, so when this overall fatigue came over me so early on I didn't know what was going to happen. Making it to the Highlands is a god-send on the full course. From this point (mile 20) to the Park (mile 22) is nice and flat and a good reprieve from the never ending ups and downs. Once I made the turn onto Juniper I knew it was pretty much all uphill from here and I just tried to hang on the best I could. My heart rate was abnormally elevated through the entire run and my breathing was very shallow. I'm not sure if that played a role in my fatigue earlier or not, but I managed it very well. The final turn onto Marietta St. was so long, it felt like forever but seeing the finish line was a great feeling.
What would you do differently?:

1. Not leave my gels in gear check :) Not that that had anything to do with how my race went.
2. Not walk through the two water stops (at the time I didn't have a choice)
3. Train better for the course. (This is the biggest thing and should be number 1)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the (long) shoot and got some food. Found my gear bag and changed into warm clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me, always me. I've given this a lot of thought and this is all I had yesterday. That *little* mental/physical issue I had in the early part of the race really took a toll on me and it pretty much guided how the rest of my day would go.

Event comments:

It's hard to pass up a marathon in your backyard. It's not the best as far as spectators goes but the course is beautiful and is very challenging. It will make you honest.

Last updated: 2009-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
04:04:34 | 26.2 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 129/
Overall: 738/
Performance: Average
Course: Hills and more hills. This course is nothing but hills except for two short sections, one in Decatur and the other through the Highlands.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: ING Georgia Marathon

2009-03-30 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2048912

User image

Master
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Marathon
4 hours on that course is NOTHING to be ashamed about.  I am scared of that course.  Great job. 
2009-03-30 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Have to agree with Jonathan - your time was great!, but I know you are comparing your performance to what you are capable of.

That course is tough, I can't imagine doing the full out there and this is your second (third) full on it? You are a tough athlete, despite some mental issues this time. Congrats on yet another great marathon!

2009-03-30 4:54 PM

User image

This is a really hard race and you rocked it. You're a strong athlete and it's really impressive how hard you push yourself. Great job!

2009-03-30 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nice Running Ame. Marathon number 6. Wow! It was fun hanging out with everyone in the morning and at lunch after. The meetup at Einsteins was perfect. Glad your car wasn't towed. heh.

Edited by atl_runner 2009-03-30 7:56 PM
2009-03-30 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey?  No worries.  You looked tough at the end when I saw you.  You and I have shared similar winters this year so give yourself a break.  You've been running well and will be stronger as summer comes along.  I like your results  here.  Money mouth

H.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Marathon Rss Feed