Ironman North America
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 15s
Overall Rank = 1038/2113
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 205/356
Pre-race routine:

Wake up 0430. Breakfast was a banana, an Uncrustable, Ensure, water, get the gear together. Ride about 3/4 mile from hotel to transition area.
Event warmup:

Transition area was not too crowded, but very cold. Cold wind blowing from the NW across the water, but the forecast was calling for it to die off after about an hour. Got my gear set up, hit the porta-potty (line not too long) and put on my wetsuit to stay warm. Some light stretching while waiting, then off to the corral.
Swim
  • 32m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt good. Water was very warm compared to the air. Coming into the race, 59 sounded very cold, but compared to the air at 46, it was a welcome relief.

Made a concerted effort to relax and keep my heart rate down and did so with no problems. At the 1/2 way point, there was some surge/swell and I got a mouthful of water. Not usually a problem for me, nothing to worry about, it's just water. Into the glare coming back was a problem again, so I took a few seconds to get my bearings and got back in the groove. Swam along the docks at the end, then out of the water and into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I treated this swim like a mild workout and I think it paid off. I would have liked to have taken a minute or two off, but it would not have been worth the required effort.
Transition 1
  • 05m 25s
Comments:

I ran the chute, but walked once inside the transition area. Last time I did this race, I was very frantic in my transitions and never got my HR down. I took my time, got everything how I wanted it, and left when I was finished. Ate 1 GU, drank some Infinit and water, and two Endurolytes. I think I was only 40 seconds slower, but much more relaxed when I left.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting on the bike feeling good, riding very easy for the first portion of the ride. I wasn't look at MPH the entire time, but I hit the 10 mile mark at about 30 so I had an idea of where I was. My nutrition felt spot on. Drink of Infinit every 10 mins, one Endurolyte every 20 (2 if heavy sweat), and Gu every 30 minutes. It gave me something to look forward to every 10 minutes.

I knew the back 1/2 was hard for me, so I took it easy. I saw the first big hill about 2 miles before and immediately shifted down to rest the legs even more. In 2007, my quads locked up on this hill, I had to walk the second half, and never recovered. I was not going to have that happen again. I hit the hill nice and rested and powered to the top without any cramps. It felt awesome. The subsequent hills were not a problem after that mental boost. I continued to ride easy and stay with my nutrition plan. Little headwind coming in, but nothing unexpected.

Train for faster flats. I could have taken a few minutes off, but lacked confidence for the ensuing run.
Transition 2
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

During pre-race briefing, we were told no shoes could be left on the bikes, so I left mine on. Once off the bike, I walked to my rack and very calmly changed out my gear. All to keep the HR down. I was on schedule to eat a GU and take a drink, so I did, loaded up my pockets with GU and Endurolytes, and jogged out feeling great.

Find a way to carry my pills.......more to come.
Run
  • 2h 10m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Left T2 feeling great. Mile one was about 8 minute pace, but the sand portion sucked. At about mile 2, I was looking for my Endurolytes (salt pills), but found they had come out of my pocket. I knew I would be OK for a while, but the cramps would definitely come soon. I began drinking Gatorade hoping to help out, but soon was sloshing alot. My pace was staying under 9 min/mile for the first half and I was still feeling really good. On the second sand run, I felt the calf twinge and knew it was coming.

After the turn around, I kept a run/walk going and maintained an OK pace, always watching the clock to see if 6 hours would happen. I had 42 minutes to go the last 3 miles and figured I should be OK unless a major meltdown occurred. I had to walk the sand, because any deviation in my stride caused an immediate cramp.

On the last sand run, I moved off the trail to allow the "runners" to pass and the hamstring pulled tight. I was envisioning myself dragging myself the last 1/2 mile on my hands and knees to finish under 6, but didn't need to. I stretched out the hammy and calves, and went continued the run/walk to the chute.

About 200 yards from the finish, both calves locked up again. I felt like an idiot, but had to walk to stretch them out. Very cool spectators started screaming as soon as I walked, quick shot of adrenaline and I was able to pull it together and run across the line.

Not lose my nutrition!
Post race
Warm down:

Find my buddies, stretch it out, off to a local brewery for pizza and a couple of beers. Sleep in the car on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only problem was the last hours nutrition. I could have probably taken another 10 minutes off my time, but I'm very happy to have been under my 6 hour goal.

Last updated: 2008-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/356
Overall: 425/2113
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: In the harbor, out and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:11 | 56 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 207/356
Overall: 1038/2113
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: One loop, North along coast, south through hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:10:08 | 13.1 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 239/356
Overall: 1266/2113
Performance:
Course: Two laps, 1/4 mile sand section x 4, along coast.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 5:13 PM

User image

Long Beach, Ca
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2009-04-06 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2066464

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Way to hit your target!!  Nice job...  You had a fantastic swim, especially considering the human soup and the sun issues after the turnaround.

And I've said it a dozen times...that sand SUCKED, lol.

2009-04-11 10:04 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Chris, great job out there and congrats on breaking 6 hours, esp. despite all the cramping.
2009-04-12 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Great job making your goal !!  That's a nice swim time you had there, too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed