General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman plans - Intermediate vs beginner silver 20 week plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Ironman plans - Intermediate vs beginner silver 20 week plan
OptionResults
Beginner silver Ironman 20 week plan1 Votes - [33.33%]
Intermediate silver Ironman 20 week plan2 Votes - [66.67%]

2009-04-13 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Subject: Ironman plans - Intermediate vs beginner silver 20 week plan
Does anyone have any suggestions between the beginner silver ironman 20 week plan and the intermediate silver ironman 20 week plan?  It looks to me like the intermediate plan ramps up quicker, but overall has less volume.  I completed 4 HIM races last year and feel like my bike is way ahead of where i should be....my run about right and need to start building the swim back up.  I am leaning toward the intermediate plan....Any suggestions?

2009-04-13 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2080904

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Ironman plans - Intermediate vs beginner silver 20 week plan
I opted for the Int. plan for many reasons...

Right off the cuff, I didn't like the peak weeks of over 20 hours the beg. plan had.

I didn't like the long runs on thursdays (hard to fit in, especially if it gets dark early).

I didn't like long bike saturdays followed by long run Sundays.

the Int. plan had no recovery weeks, (which is fine for me), but no really long weeks either.  It has just a lot of consitant 15 hours weeks.  The long bike and long run alternated weekends, so I did ONE long thing a week.  It worked better for my schedule.

Could I have done better with the beginner plan?  Maybe looking back, more base work could have helped.  But I don't think I could have done it all.  However, I did finish my first IM AND placed 1st in my division, so the Int plan did well enough!

PM me if you have any other questions.  I flipped flopped on these plans a LOT before going with one.
2009-04-13 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2081021

User image

Expert
Tulsa

Aikidoman - 2009-04-13 12:01 PM I opted for the Int. plan for many reasons...

Right off the cuff, I didn't like the peak weeks of over 20 hours the beg. plan had.

I didn't like the long runs on thursdays (hard to fit in, especially if it gets dark early).

the Int. plan had no recovery weeks, (which is fine for me), but no really long weeks either.  It has just a lot of consitant 15 hours weeks.  The long bike and long run alternated weekends, so I did ONE long thing a week.  It worked better for my schedule.

Could I have done better with the beginner plan?  Maybe looking back, more base work could have helped.  But I don't think I could have done it all.  However, I did finish my first IM AND placed 1st in my division, so the Int plan did well enough!

PM me if you have any other questions.  I flipped flopped on these plans a LOT before going with one.

Yeah thats what i was thinking...I liked the idea of alternating weekends for the long run/bike.

2009-04-14 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2080904

User image

Expert
Tulsa
2009-04-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2081021

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Aikidoman - 2009-04-13 1:01 PM I opted for the Int. plan for many reasons...

Was that the guys-who-married-out-of-their-league division?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman plans - Intermediate vs beginner silver 20 week plan Rss Feed