General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Finish Strong
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:30am, ate a bowl of cereal, and packed all of my gear. I arrived at the race site around 6:30, set up my transition area, got marked, ate 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich and a gu, and hung out for a bit. I ran into three of my fellow running club members (two were participating in the race) so I chatted with them a bit.
Event warmup:

Warmup = putting on the wetsuit. I contemplated hopping in the lake for a test swim but after yesterday's adventure in the hypothermia world, I decided to skip it. So, I stretched for a bit and chatted with a few random people.
Swim
  • 25m 40s
  • 820 yards
  • 03m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

My arms were tired from the get go, I don't know what was up - I think that my body might still be recovering from yesterday. But anyways, it was an ok swim in the beginning but then I just became completely exhausted and I couldn't wait to get out of the water (this was around 250 yards, fun). I spent the rest of the swim in a super slow freestyle, switching to breast stroke just for sighting purposes.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming in open water. A lot. And not be on the verge of hypothermia during an open water swim the day before a race.
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

T1 includes a decent run from the lake, up a hill, and along a sidewalk into the transition area. The wetsuit because stuck on my right foot so I had to sit down to yank it off. I threw on a jacket, my sunglasses, helmet, and took off.

I was a bit slow heading out of T1 (there were a lot of people milling around in the way). I should have navigated around them and took off.
Bike
  • 45m 58s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike, I was a bit tired towards the middle, but I picked it up for the last third. Avent Ferry road was absolutely full of potholes and botched pot hole jobs so my bottom is extremely unhappy with me.

Push harder as always. I have been slacking on riding lately too.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I racked my bike, pitched the helmet, and snapped on my number belt. I did take a second to pull back my hair though (girlie whoa) because it was all over the place. I forgot to take off my jacket though.

Ummm... I don't know... grow my hair out again so it actually stays back in a ponytail and I don't have to fix it.
Run
  • 30m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I immediately realized that I forgot to leave my jacket in T2 so I stopped after a 100 yards, turned around and contemplated going back and tossing it over the wall, but then I decided to just pitch it into one of the bushes and retrieve it later. I took off and felt like I was holding a pretty good stride. My quads and left calf felt like they were burning though but I pushed through.

Make sure that I am completely set before leaving T2.
Post race
Warm down:

Two of my friends surprised me by coming out to watch so I chatted with them for a bit after finishing and then I packed up my stuff, chowed down on a Jimmy John's sub, found my jacket, and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just need to get out and practice open water swimming and biking more.

Event comments:

It was a nice race. I don't know if I would do it again though - the road conditions were pretty rough but all in all, FSSeries did a good job of putting everything together.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:40 | 820 yards | 03m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy John
Course: This was a triangle course in Centennial Lake. We had to jump off of the dock (one person every five seconds), swim out about 300 or so yards to the orange buoy, turn right, swim about 100 yards or so to the next orange buoy, turn right again, and swim back in.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:58 | 12 miles | 15.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/16
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course took us around NC State and onto Avent Ferry road. There were a few looooong gradual hills but there were also some nice decents. We had to ride with traffic which was tricky in a few areas.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:05 | 03.1 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Performance: Good
Course: The course went through the NC State campus and on the greenway. Again, there were a few long gradual climbs but all in all, it wasn't bad. There were three water stops along the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
Subject: Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon

2009-04-19 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2095425

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon
Great race report - sounds like you kept up a strong effort the whole time. Glad you found your jacket after the race :-) Potholes are no fun!!!
2009-04-19 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

So, you already posted this RR. Great job. You hung in there on the swim and bumped along on the bike and really rocked the run! Nice work!

2009-04-19 10:44 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Way to go!  Very, very solid performance, Amber!  I wondered how the OWS the day before would play out for you in terms of the tri...sorry to hear about the hypothermia.  Half mile tri swim is tough...I applaud your getting through it after the previous day's effort.

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed