Set-up, Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 27s
Overall Rank = 49/283
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4AM, showered, made some breakfast (oatmeal, walnuts, raisins, and maple syrup), loaded the bike on the new Thule rook rack which was nice, and went to pick up J at his house. On the road by 5AM and started the 2 hr + drive down to the race site. About half way (6AM - 4hrs prior to the race start) I ate a banana and sipped some Gatorade. Arrived at the race site, checked in at packet pick up, set up the bike and went over to get the timing chip. Came back to transition and organized everything. Went down to check out the swim start and felt the nice 60-degree water. It actually wasn't too bad. Headed back up to transition and started putting the wetsuit on.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water about 9:30ish and swam for about 10 minutes. That's the first time I was ever able to warm up swimming and it felt good. The water was initially cold but I adapted to it very quickly. Goggles fogged a bit but one rinse took care of that. Got out of the water and talked to J and Laura for a few minutes before the start. Then saw the wife and kids. They all were wearing some cool Swim-Bike-Run shirts they had made up. It was a nice surprise!!
Swim
  • 25m 9s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm still unsure of how I assess my swim performance. I felt good in the water, but my time doesn't reflect it. The 60-degree water was a non-issue, it actually felt good. And I know swimming laps in a pool is much different than open water, but my splits during time trials in training were much faster. It's very possible I didn't navigate all that good and put in some extra yardage zig-zagging a bit, but for the most part I can't think of anything that really stands out negatively, other than my split. I guess I was hoping for under a 1:30 pace.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to improve both in form and efficiency.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Everything went as planned. No issues. So nice to have Tri shoes, so much easier to put on and I definitely saved a few seconds compared to prior races.

Nothing, but always look for ways to improve.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 42s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I must say I'm a bit dissappointed in my bike effort. I started the year so strong on the bike and very committed to the workouts on the indoor trainer. But the last several weeks I've neglected the trainer b/c quite frankly I'm getting sick of training indoors, but have to realize I need to stay consistent if I want to be a much improved cyclist. My bike split was poor and the power just wasn't there, but this race gave me a nice swift kick in the ass to realize I have to accept biking indoors until the weather warms up. However, major positives are that the new ELITE rides so nice, and I felt comfortable in the aero position the entire time. Having the new race wheels on also made the bike lighter and faster. The course was Ok, not a smooth ride. The roads weren't in that great of shape. Also, having to go another loop on the same course is mentally tough, but it can be an advantage so you know where to push the 2nd time around.

Hammer out some tough indoor bike sessions when the weather doesn't permit. Stay true to becoming a better cyclist by putting forth the required work necessary to do so.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Good transition. Went sockless for the 1st time in a race with the new K-Swiss K Ona's, so I was able to shave off a few seconds there.

Not much. Same as T1, just keep improving.
Run
  • 45m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Set a new PR for a 10K in an Olympic distance race! So needless to say I was ecstatic about my run performance. I normally blow up and average about an 8 minute mile, but this run was different. I felt strong, efficient, breathing was just right, great cadence, and I never felt I was on the verge of slowing. I wish I had my split per mile because I felt I negative split the run, which is mentally a hard thing for me to accomplish. The new K-Swiss K On'a were sweet. A small blister formed just inside my left foot but nothing major, I think I may need to apply some glide in the shoes pre race and it should take care of that minor issue.

N/A
Post race
Warm down:

Took in some water, and then made my way over to the post race food. Nothing exciting to eat and was quite dissappointed with the spread, but ate it anyway. Then walked to the swim start area and cooled down the calves and feet in the nice cool water of Lake Anna.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Consistent training. Don't take a step backwards when training is going so well, which is what I did with my bike workouts. I am very strong mentally when it comes to logging workouts and I usually get the job done, and uncharacteristically I let it get the best of me in the past few weeks. It's time to bounce back!

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:09 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/48
Overall: 39/283
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU E:0 Elite Full Wetsuit
Course: Triangular, clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:42 | 24 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/48
Overall: 84/283
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops, slightly rolling.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:58 | 06.21 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/48
Overall: 57/283
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops, mostly flat with some slight rolling.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-20 3:27 PM

Regular
Maryland
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International

2009-04-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2097961

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International
Yay! Congrats on the run PR! And yes, it was us, yelling Go ELITE BT on the side of the road. Looking sharp!
2009-04-20 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Congratulations on a good race and on your splits in all three sports.
2009-04-20 5:23 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Holy moly you were fast out there across the board!

Congrats on a terrific race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International Rss Feed