Boston Athletic Association
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 30m 52s
Overall Rank = 7538/22849
Age Group = F 18-39
Age Group Rank = 1033/5023
Pre-race routine:

My flight in from NJ got in (on time!) around 11am Saturday � too early to go directly to the hotel and check in. As I had packed extremely light � a half full drawstring bag � I went straight to the expo to pick up my packet and wander around. Lots of people, vendors, products to drool over and some freebies as well. I made lunch out of the samples from Clif and Luna, as well as some other products. Picked up some gear from Zoot then walked down the street to a local store to buy some Vibram Five Fingers. I�ve been wanting these for over a year, but finally decided to give in, get them and give barefoot running a try. After grabbing a real lunch I headed to my hotel to put my feet up and deposit my expo bag, which was getting rather heavy! The rest of the day was lying around the hotel (watching Star Wars) and then back downtown in my VFF�s for dinner at a Brewery. Mmmmm.... beeeeer!

Sunday I got up early for the free breakfast and then headed back down to the expo, getting there just after it opened. Grabbed some more free stuff and looked at the booths I had missed on Saturday. Then I headed out to see the USS Constitution and hit up a different brewery for lunch. Mmmmm... beeeer! Whiled away the afternoon in the downtown/Back Bay area before heading over to the pre-race dinner. My feet were getting sore from wearing the VFFs all day, so I swapped into my sandals to walk over. Had a quick bite, more beer, grabbed dessert and headed back to the hotel to get all packed up and ready for an early departure.

Up on Monday before 5am to get dressed, finish packing, check my bag at the front desk and grab breakfast. Took the first shuttle to the subway and got down to the bus loading area ~6am for the first round of busses to Hopkinton. We arrived at the Athlete�s Village around 7am. It was too cold out for how little clothing I was wearing (next time.... a blanket!) so I headed over for some coffee and a bagel. Spent most of my time just wandering around, not wanting to sit still and get colder. Applied temporary tattoos from Adidas � with 4 leaf clovers � and used their face painting markers to write �RUNNING 4 BEER� down my right leg. Eventually I stripped of my light jacket, dropped my bag at the bus and headed for the start. Yeah!!!!
Event warmup:

Freezing my butt off for 3 hours!!
Run
  • 3h 30m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I suppose it started on time, though I�m not sure since I never heard any music, countdown or starting gun. I guess that�s what you get when you are in the last corral. It took just over 9 minutes to reach the starting line, but once we got there it wasn�t too bad. Sure it was crowded, but most people were running at about the same pace. Still, I was hoping to put some time in the bank before the hills so I picked things up after the first mile and moved up through the field.

The crowd support was AWESOME!!! I spent quite a bit of time running up the left side of the street and hi-five-ing anyone with their hand out, especially the kids. My pace felt good early on, running right about 8:00/mile. I had printed out a pace band for a 3:35, but found myself running faster than that. I could only hope that I was not going too fast too early. I�d almost say the first half was fairly uneventful. I held a steady pace, grabbed water or G�ade at every other aid station, more hi-fives and passing people and just having a good race. Somewhere around mile 7 or 8 I passed Rick and Dick Hoyt. Amazing! I think it was their 1000th race.

The �scream tunnel� with the women of Wellesly was awesome. Too bad I wasn�t a guy. So many college age girls with signs saying �kiss me�. If I�d seen a guy with a sign like that, I�m sure I would have stopped!! After I flew through the halfway mark I wondered what the hills would be like. Turns out they were small. As long as you haven�t pushed beyond your limits, they�re nothing to worry about. I also managed to pass a lot of people on the hills. I also started picking up aid from the crowd. There were a ton of people holding out slices of oranges, which turned out to be really awesome. And I grabbed some twizzlers from a couple other people. Mmmmm... it�s just like an ultra.... candy!!

I hit the aid station at mile 20 and knew Heartbreak Hill would be coming up soon. But I was still feeling really good. I had paced myself well until this point (though later I realized I had slacked off my sub-3:30 pace a bit). A bit after the aid station, there was a group of ~10 college guys on the left side of the road, each holding out a 4 oz cup of beer. YEAH!!! I had been looking for anyone with beer, so I stopped, grabbed a cup, and showed them the writing on my right leg. Got a bunch of cheers, downed the beer and took off again. Mmmmm.... free beeeer!!

Up and over the hill, then the rest was fairly flat or downhill. I hit mile 22 and realized I wasn�t going to make it in under 3:30, but maybe under 3:31 so I started hauling ass. I had slacked off the pace a bit during the hills and had too much energy left in the tank. Last 3 miles I was running like a mad woman weaving my way up through the field. I think I must have run an extra � mile with all the zig-zagging back and forth across the road I was doing. Came around the final corner, say the finish and made put it in high gear. Crossed the line in 3:30:52, for a PR of 2:17 and qualifying to go back next year.
Post race

Last updated: 2008-10-17 12:00 AM
Running
03:30:52 | 26.2 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 1033/5023
Overall: 7538/22849
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-22 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Boston Marathon

2009-04-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2102120

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon
Those folks on the side of the road right before Heartbreak Hill were the hashers...

With all that beer drinking you did that weekend I am surprised you didn't meet up with them.  They make a whole WEEKEND out of the marathon and beer....
2009-04-22 12:25 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Awesome Race Jess....and....Excellent RR....

I'm sure the beer was the one that helped you to get a new PR and qualyfied to race again next year.......LOL

Well...this one was only a training for you...now...You have a real challenge...Your next UltraMarathon 100 miles....
Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!!

congratulations Pictures, Images and Photos 

you freakin' rock Pictures, Images and Photos

Edited by velorider62 2009-04-22 12:31 PM
2009-04-22 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Yep, you truly do rock! Congrats on another great race, Jess.
2009-04-22 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
WOW, great race and great enthusiasm.  I need to get me some of that for next year! Nice job.
2009-04-23 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Jess!!

Great Boston race and congrats on a new PR!! You are getting so speedy.

Must have felt nice to only run 26.2 LOL (FREAK)

thanks for such a nice race report. Love the stop for BEER part

2009-04-24 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Great race! Congrats on the PR. I wish I had thought to grab a beer like you did, the end might not have hurt so much
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boston Marathon Rss Feed