General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2009-07-26 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2308612

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread
Hi Kristen!

Thank you soooo much for saving me with the Gatorade Endurance!!! You rock!!!!

You really came through!!!

I hope you had a great time (I did  - what a fun race!)

Hey, can you tell me where you get the Gatorade Orange?  All the stores around here that I talk to (Super runners shop, jackrabbit..) sell only the lemon - lime bleah.

:-)

yours truly,

dbw27

2009-07-26 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2115456

User image

Wow, great race!  Really fun time, even though it was a tough race for me!  Does anyone know how to file a race report? 
2009-07-26 6:05 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
nice seeing the peeps i got too see!!!!  Kristin, Shawn, Michelle, Jonah!!! 

A very special thanx to Jonah..... brother thanx for staying with me for that mile and half, it was the diversion i needed, and part of the reason i finished.  Thanx Man!!!

First Oly down, Wow is all i gotta say, that is one tough race distance

my time:  2h 40m 25s  

2009-07-26 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Hey BT peeps - good to see everyone out there today! Other than the early morning shower was a good race day! Hope everyone had as much fun as I did! Off to do my RR now!

2009-07-26 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2308947

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
mburkhart - 2009-07-26 6:43 PM

Hey BT peeps - good to see everyone out there today! Other than the early morning shower was a good race day! Hope everyone had as much fun as I did! Off to do my RR now!

How did I miss you? I took a couple of shortcuts across the transverse, so maybe you got past me somehow. Either that, or you were moving so fast, you were just a blur and I didn't recognize you.

2009-07-26 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2308903

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Rudedog55 - 2009-07-26 6:05 PM

nice seeing the peeps i got too see!!!!  Kristin, Shawn, Michelle, Jonah!!! 

A very special thanx to Jonah..... brother thanx for staying with me for that mile and half, it was the diversion i needed, and part of the reason i finished.  Thanx Man!!!

First Oly down, Wow is all i gotta say, that is one tough race distance

my time:  2h 40m 25s  

That one was all you. Happy to have been along for the ride!

2009-07-26 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
New York
WOW What a great race. My first OLY!!!! Hope everyone had a fun safe day.
2009-07-26 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
Awesome day and lots of BT love to get me thorough the race...thanks Kristin and Rudy, and especially Jonah who made me forget I was running for about a mile!  I hope to catch up with you guys again soon.  Maybe with some help with biking
2009-07-26 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2308974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-07-26 8:00 PM
mburkhart - 2009-07-26 6:43 PM

How did I miss you? I took a couple of shortcuts across the transverse, so maybe you got past me somehow. Either that, or you were moving so fast, you were just a blur and I didn't recognize you.
pppfftt...right! I was looking for you but didn't see you out there so I'm glad we met up at transition the day before. Sounds like you really helped alot of BT folks out there today -you're the best!
2009-07-26 9:19 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Great race today everyone! I am so happy to have the BT family at every race I do. Michele (drcherrybomb) showed up the moment I arrived in transition and we walked to the start together. Rudy and I exchanged early morning texts to complain about the weather. Jonah rode with me on an ugly hill and gave me a big boost (Jonah, you realize you've been a part of a lot of my big races this year???) and I ran into Michelle (mburkhart) at the finish and we got an official photo together, which we'll be sharing with everyone.

I had a good race, set a 7 minute PR overall and set a massive 10K PR, but I felt it was overcrowded for what the course could sustain. And I was blown away by some of the negativity I incurred in the form of name calling and nasty slurs over typical race contact and mishaps. I think there were a lot of first timers who are unfortunately not representative of the sport and that's a shame. It will be interesting to see how this race goes in the future.
2009-07-27 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2307094

User image

drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-24 11:55 PM I checked in today and picked up my new Garmin 310xt.  I did the underwear run tonight. Super fun!  I ran with 2 watches.  I'm a geek.

I'm #1929 and have red hair.  Anyone come say hi.  I am going back to the expo again tomorrow to shop and then checkin my bike at around 3.  Good luck to all!!!

Would love to know how you like this watch.  I always wonder about satellite reception in NYC, if it is spotty or pretty consistent.  Nice shot with the naked cowboy! 

2009-07-27 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2309200

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend!!  It was great to finally meet Rudy and see all the excitement first hand.  If you had to stand in the bike check in line for a while, my apologies.  We were a really tight on space for the better part of the day. 

LazyMarathoner - 2009-07-26 10:19 PM
I had a good race, set a 7 minute PR overall and set a massive 10K PR, but I felt it was overcrowded for what the course could sustain. And I was blown away by some of the negativity I incurred in the form of name calling and nasty slurs over typical race contact and mishaps. I think there were a lot of first timers who are unfortunately not representative of the sport and that's a shame. It will be interesting to see how this race goes in the future.

First, congrats on the PR!!  You also might be on to something with your theory.  Due to where I was volunteering, I had to listen to every other race presentation and I was really surprised at the number of people he was saying raised their hands when asked if this was their first race.  In a couple of the presentations at the beginning of the day, it sounded like it was close to 25% of the full room and even when I caught it later in the day there seemed to continue to be a number of completely new people (though I couldn't really pay that close attention).

From personal experience, there were also a few people who seemed to have a sense of entitlement (due to the race fee maybe?) and got quite agitated when we told them that they were responsible for bringing their bikes up to transition.  That feeling of entitlement may also have played a part in their attitudes on the course as well.

2009-07-27 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2309568

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
RtisticFX - 2009-07-27 7:55 AM
drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-24 11:55 PM I checked in today and picked up my new Garmin 310xt.  I did the underwear run tonight. Super fun!  I ran with 2 watches.  I'm a geek.

I'm #1929 and have red hair.  Anyone come say hi.  I am going back to the expo again tomorrow to shop and then checkin my bike at around 3.  Good luck to all!!!

Would love to know how you like this watch.  I always wonder about satellite reception in NYC, if it is spotty or pretty consistent.  Nice shot with the naked cowboy! 

About the GPS in NYC...It seems about as reliable as my 405 was.  In general they seem to work well, but I find that it can take longer to pick up initially when in between the buildings.  Once I get to the west side hwy and things open up its fine.  Where it presents a problem is with overpasses. When I have to bike under the Henry Hudson from the 50's til the 80's the GPS goes a little haywire.  That's why I clock speeds of 72 mph on the bike.  I like to just stop my timer there if I can remember to.  In the park it works well.  It's just going under stuff that throws it off.  I even wore it in my swimcap in the hudson this weekend.  I lost about .1 of the swim, so not too bad.  It did pair with my HR monitor from my 405, although does not pick up HR in the water. 

I'm a gadet junkie.  I just have it for 2 days.  I will play with it more and then can answer questions better.

About some of the other comments about the race...what is the backlash against new triathletes?  One of the amazing things about this sport that I have found is how encouraging it is to new athletes.  Everyone has to have a first time and triathlon is growing in popularity like crazy.  I also found people on the bike course to be rude.  2 times screamed for me to keep to the right, except that I was passing too.  Screw them!  They are not the only ones entitled to pass.  I yelled back "I'm passing too you a-hole!"  One guy actually said sorry.

2009-07-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2309812

User image

Regular
New York City
drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-27 10:33 AM
I also found people on the bike course to be rude.  2 times screamed for me to keep to the right, except that I was passing too.  Screw them!  They are not the only ones entitled to pass.  I yelled back "I'm passing too you a-hole!"  One guy actually said sorry.

This is one area that I don't think was dealt with very well by the briefing sessions at registration. In the session I attended there was no mention of safety / passing etiquette & rules for bike course (with the exception of keep out of the middle lane) which I was very surprised about given the amount of new to tri and new to NYC tri entrants. I know there was in the info pack, but I think it is useful to reinforce to less experienced competitors that particularly on descents there is the likelihood that you might be overtaken by someone going close to double your speed that won't be able to stop if you pull out in front of them. Equally, it should be also be reinforced to everyone that USAT rules allow you to be DQ'd for unsportsmanlike conduct, such as yelling obscenities to other competitors, whether you think they are impeding you or not. Parts of the course, particularly the northern section were very narrow for the amount of traffic, and given the wet roads made it quite dangerous at times. I personally had three near misses with people suddenly pulling out completely to the left of the lane when they were only overtaking one or two cyclists.

As someone who tends to pass a fair number of people on the bike (wish I could say the same for the swim and the run), I find that it is really necessary to shout "on your left" pretty frequently during a race if you stand any chance of holding your pace or avoid accidents. Unfortunately, with the adrenaline of the race / riding on the limit I'll be the first to admit that I rarely say "please" (although I do say "thanks" when I can) and I will let people know I'm trying to pass even when the road is completely congested as this usually spurs them on to pass even faster which is good for both of us.

I'm sorry that this part of the race experience was not so enjoyable for you, but my impression was that there was more shouting on the bike course than normal for a variety of reasons. Don't let it put you off.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great race, I really enjoyed it - with the exception of rocking up to transition at 5:35am to find my rear tire punctured!

Take care,

Phil.
2009-07-27 11:22 AM

User image

N Y C
Phil...punctured, as in "intentional" or just flat? Either way it $ucks...but intentional puncture is disturbing.
Someone else claimed that they had their cycling and running shoes in a plastic bag to keep them dry...they returned to find the bag missing and the shoes in the grass...wet...not a cool thing to do.

2009-07-27 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2310063

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
philb - 2009-07-27 11:56 AM
drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-27 10:33 AM I also found people on the bike course to be rude.  2 times screamed for me to keep to the right, except that I was passing too.  Screw them!  They are not the only ones entitled to pass.  I yelled back "I'm passing too you a-hole!"  One guy actually said sorry.

This is one area that I don't think was dealt with very well by the briefing sessions at registration. In the session I attended there was no mention of safety / passing etiquette & rules for bike course (with the exception of keep out of the middle lane) which I was very surprised about given the amount of new to tri and new to NYC tri entrants. I know there was in the info pack, but I think it is useful to reinforce to less experienced competitors that particularly on descents there is the likelihood that you might be overtaken by someone going close to double your speed that won't be able to stop if you pull out in front of them. Equally, it should be also be reinforced to everyone that USAT rules allow you to be DQ'd for unsportsmanlike conduct, such as yelling obscenities to other competitors, whether you think they are impeding you or not. Parts of the course, particularly the northern section were very narrow for the amount of traffic, and given the wet roads made it quite dangerous at times. I personally had three near misses with people suddenly pulling out completely to the left of the lane when they were only overtaking one or two cyclists. As someone who tends to pass a fair number of people on the bike (wish I could say the same for the swim and the run), I find that it is really necessary to shout "on your left" pretty frequently during a race if you stand any chance of holding your pace or avoid accidents. Unfortunately, with the adrenaline of the race / riding on the limit I'll be the first to admit that I rarely say "please" (although I do say "thanks" when I can) and I will let people know I'm trying to pass even when the road is completely congested as this usually spurs them on to pass even faster which is good for both of us. I'm sorry that this part of the race experience was not so enjoyable for you, but my impression was that there was more shouting on the bike course than normal for a variety of reasons. Don't let it put you off. Anyway, I hope everyone had a great race, I really enjoyed it - with the exception of rocking up to transition at 5:35am to find my rear tire punctured! Take care, Phil.

First, to address Michelle's question - Michelle, I wasn't defaming first timers or intending backlash. My point is that when you do a race that is roughly 50% first-timers your experience is not the same as one where you have people who are veterans to the sport and are great advocates for it and can help fellow athletes. There is a strong spirit of togetherness amongst most triathletes and they are often willing to go out of their way to help others. For ex., the girl racked next to me at IMRI 70.3 had never done a race so I put her aero bottle on her bike for her and helped her set up her transition. She literally didn't know how or what to do. The women next to me in NYC didn't speak a word. It was the same last year. And people don't usually steal others' plastic bags and such for their own purposes. That's just sad.

And to the two bolded comments above, I couldn't agree more. Before my first tri I actually read the USAT rules. I didn't want to be out on the course unaware of what to do and/or causing issues. At the end of the day this is a race. People are racing. I don't care if they aren't making podium, they entered to race and I'm a little put off by so many people's attitudes that it's wrong to want to race. Finishing isn't the only goal for some and I think that's totally fair. I was shocked by the blatant disregard of course safety and rules. And I'm not talking about missing a few minutes on a bike split, I'm talking about near crashes that can not only end your season, but change your life and affect your livelihood and ability to work. I had two very close calls caused by another cyclist's error. I realize accidents happen but these instances were completely unavoidable.

As far as the shouting "left" or "on your left" it has to be done. This call out is not to suggest you are in the way, or that you must immediately move over, this call out is for safety. I passed many people who could not move right, but the announcement that I was passing was to ensure they didn't make a sudden move or decide to pass themselves. It's course safety and etiquette and too many people are overly sensitive that it's a sign of rudeness from the person passing. I was out with a friend yesterday and she stated such and I shared this same perspective. She hadn't thought about it that way and when she realized it, she got it. I'd rather be perceived as being a jerk for yelling left, than ending up with two or more cyclists seriously injured in a crash.

I'm not trying to be preachy or rude, just sharing my opinion. I'm no veteran of this sport by far, yesterday was only my fifth tri ever. But having had a nasty crash last year (that was my own fault) I'm big on safety and just don't think yesterday's course was safe, at least for the middle-to-last waves.

2009-07-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2310124

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
jackxter - 2009-07-27 11:22 AM Phil...punctured, as in "intentional" or just flat? Either way it $ucks...but intentional puncture is disturbing. Someone else claimed that they had their cycling and running shoes in a plastic bag to keep them dry...they returned to find the bag missing and the shoes in the grass...wet...not a cool thing to do.

The person next to me had her bag pulled off her bike too.  It's stuff like that that made me not even consider setting up my transition the night before.  I can't believe some people even considered that.  Very trusting out-of-towners I guess. 

By the time you get to a  race most people have been cycling already and should know cycling etiquette.  Those rules don't just apply to USAT events, but even cycling on the road.  Other than encouraging people to call "on your left", I don't know how much needed to be reviewed at the meeting.  If the road is wide and you are passing 1 cyclist, maybe it's okay not to call it out, but I think it was the safe thing to do on this course, even if you are passing all day long.  We are all out there to have fun, and some of the arrogance on the course was overwhelming.  I have done another very competative race, (St. A's) and this was the ruder by far. That should have been worse since the swim was cancelled, and people were rockin on the bike.  It was especially disturbing yesterday since the course was wet. 
2009-07-27 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
yes, i had heard the same thing, stuff removed from the bag, not put back neatly, had to look for gear. Same thing i found when i came into transition, my gear was everywhere, and i even had an end spot and empty rack next to me. Oh well, it is what it is, at least nothing was damaged or missing. I am having mixed emotions and thoughts about this race, and stuff that went on, and peoples varying views on different issues. I am going to keep my comments and opinions to myself on these though, everyone has their reasons.

One thing i am 95% sure of though, is that i WILL NOT be doing this race in the future, maybe that will change come later in the year, but i am not to optimistic about it.

I am glad most seemed to have a great time, and as far as i know, none of our BT peeps got hurt or had serious issues during the race.

Congrats to all the finishers!!!

2009-07-27 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2310124

User image

Regular
New York City
jackxter - 2009-07-27 12:22 PM

Phil...punctured, as in "intentional" or just flat? Either way it $ucks...but intentional puncture is disturbing.
Someone else claimed that they had their cycling and running shoes in a plastic bag to keep them dry...they returned to find the bag missing and the shoes in the grass...wet...not a cool thing to do.

Nothing sinister, it looked like a pinch flat which I can only assume I did when riding on the soft carpeted area into transition on Saturday night, odd but just unlucky I guess. Made for a slightly less relaxed preparation of my transition area, but at least it was the first thing I checked when I arrived Sunday morning. The story about the guys shoes sucks though.

Just read your race report, good job, your comment about not to swim over the guy swimming on his back cracked me up.

Phil.
2009-07-27 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2310175

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
LazyMarathoner - 2009-07-27 11:38 AM
philb - 2009-07-27 11:56 AM
drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-27 10:33 AM I also found people on the bike course to be rude.  2 times screamed for me to keep to the right, except that I was passing too.  Screw them!  They are not the only ones entitled to pass.  I yelled back "I'm passing too you a-hole!"  One guy actually said sorry.

This is one area that I don't think was dealt with very well by the briefing sessions at registration. In the session I attended there was no mention of safety / passing etiquette & rules for bike course (with the exception of keep out of the middle lane) which I was very surprised about given the amount of new to tri and new to NYC tri entrants. I know there was in the info pack, but I think it is useful to reinforce to less experienced competitors that particularly on descents there is the likelihood that you might be overtaken by someone going close to double your speed that won't be able to stop if you pull out in front of them. Equally, it should be also be reinforced to everyone that USAT rules allow you to be DQ'd for unsportsmanlike conduct, such as yelling obscenities to other competitors, whether you think they are impeding you or not. Parts of the course, particularly the northern section were very narrow for the amount of traffic, and given the wet roads made it quite dangerous at times. I personally had three near misses with people suddenly pulling out completely to the left of the lane when they were only overtaking one or two cyclists. As someone who tends to pass a fair number of people on the bike (wish I could say the same for the swim and the run), I find that it is really necessary to shout "on your left" pretty frequently during a race if you stand any chance of holding your pace or avoid accidents. Unfortunately, with the adrenaline of the race / riding on the limit I'll be the first to admit that I rarely say "please" (although I do say "thanks" when I can) and I will let people know I'm trying to pass even when the road is completely congested as this usually spurs them on to pass even faster which is good for both of us. I'm sorry that this part of the race experience was not so enjoyable for you, but my impression was that there was more shouting on the bike course than normal for a variety of reasons. Don't let it put you off. Anyway, I hope everyone had a great race, I really enjoyed it - with the exception of rocking up to transition at 5:35am to find my rear tire punctured! Take care, Phil.

First, to address Michelle's question - Michelle, I wasn't defaming first timers or intending backlash. My point is that when you do a race that is roughly 50% first-timers your experience is not the same as one where you have people who are veterans to the sport and are great advocates for it and can help fellow athletes. There is a strong spirit of togetherness amongst most triathletes and they are often willing to go out of their way to help others. For ex., the girl racked next to me at IMRI 70.3 had never done a race so I put her aero bottle on her bike for her and helped her set up her transition. She literally didn't know how or what to do. The women next to me in NYC didn't speak a word. It was the same last year. And people don't usually steal others' plastic bags and such for their own purposes. That's just sad.

And to the two bolded comments above, I couldn't agree more. Before my first tri I actually read the USAT rules. I didn't want to be out on the course unaware of what to do and/or causing issues. At the end of the day this is a race. People are racing. I don't care if they aren't making podium, they entered to race and I'm a little put off by so many people's attitudes that it's wrong to want to race. Finishing isn't the only goal for some and I think that's totally fair. I was shocked by the blatant disregard of course safety and rules. And I'm not talking about missing a few minutes on a bike split, I'm talking about near crashes that can not only end your season, but change your life and affect your livelihood and ability to work. I had two very close calls caused by another cyclist's error. I realize accidents happen but these instances were completely unavoidable.

As far as the shouting "left" or "on your left" it has to be done. This call out is not to suggest you are in the way, or that you must immediately move over, this call out is for safety. I passed many people who could not move right, but the announcement that I was passing was to ensure they didn't make a sudden move or decide to pass themselves. It's course safety and etiquette and too many people are overly sensitive that it's a sign of rudeness from the person passing. I was out with a friend yesterday and she stated such and I shared this same perspective. She hadn't thought about it that way and when she realized it, she got it. I'd rather be perceived as being a jerk for yelling left, than ending up with two or more cyclists seriously injured in a crash.

I'm not trying to be preachy or rude, just sharing my opinion. I'm no veteran of this sport by far, yesterday was only my fifth tri ever. But having had a nasty crash last year (that was my own fault) I'm big on safety and just don't think yesterday's course was safe, at least for the middle-to-last waves.

I just saw this Kristin.  I think I was writing my comments when you posted yours.  I wasn't referring to your comments specifically, but honestly, I think it was the experienced riders that caused the problems.  I found that most riders stayed to the right unless passing, but plenty of people whooshed by me without saying a word, and if I would have moved to pass I would have been dust. It's not that hard to call out "on your left!"  At St. A's where I was passed all day long, maybe 2 riders didn't call it out.  I don;t take offense to it at all.  It is completely for safety.  I actually saw one guy pointing at every storm drain.  That may have been overkill.

Yesterday, I was passed less (and I actually passed more), but I can't even count how many people didn't call it out.  My neighbor wrecked.  You know about my fear of wrecking.  And I know you agree with me.  There is no excuse for passing other riders without declaring so. 
2009-07-27 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
During my training for the transition area tours, they said that approximately 30% of the people in the race are competing in their first tri ever. Given that, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to spend a few extra minutes in the briefing to talk about race etiquette. If I do the tours next year, and I think I will, I’m definitely going to talk about it, even though it’s not in the “script”. I only saw the run course, but groups of people running in packs and obstructing faster runners behind them *COUGH*TeamInTraining*COUGH* was something I saw a lot of. I can only assume that there was some of that going on on the bike course as well.

Not to turn this into an anti TnT rant, I think a lot of TnT people have trained exclusively with other TnT people and so they aren’t as familiar with the rules of cycling and racing as even another non-TnT newbie might be

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2009-07-27 12:30 PM

2009-07-27 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2310311

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-07-27 12:24 PM During my training for the transition area tours, they said that approximately 30% of the people in the race are competing in their first tri ever. Given that, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to spend a few extra minutes in the briefing to talk about race etiquette. If I do the tours next year, and I think I will, I’m definitely going to talk about it, even though it’s not in the “script”. I only saw the run course, but groups of people running in packs and obstructing faster runners behind them *COUGH*TeamInTraining*COUGH* was something I saw a lot of. I can only assume that there was some of that going on on the bike course as well. Not to turn this into an anti TnT rant, I think a lot of TnT people have trained exclusively with other TnT people and so they aren’t as familiar with the rules of cycling and racing as even another non-TnT newbie might be

Wow!  I can't believe they would do that!  I did not see that kind of rudeness on the run course.  People on the run seemed more supportive not rude at all to me. 
2009-07-27 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2310311

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-07-27 1:24 PM During my training for the transition area tours, they said that approximately 30% of the people in the race are competing in their first tri ever. Given that, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to spend a few extra minutes in the briefing to talk about race etiquette. If I do the tours next year, and I think I will, I’m definitely going to talk about it, even though it’s not in the “script”. I only saw the run course, but groups of people running in packs and obstructing faster runners behind them *COUGH*TeamInTraining*COUGH* was something I saw a lot of. I can only assume that there was some of that going on on the bike course as well. Not to turn this into an anti TnT rant, I think a lot of TnT people have trained exclusively with other TnT people and so they aren’t as familiar with the rules of cycling and racing as even another non-TnT newbie might be

It was. My friend went to pass some girls who were riding side by side, taking up most of the bike lane, and as she went by they were chatting about how they couldn't wait for the race to end so they could go get manis and pedis. I rarely even ride side by side when doing a training ride with someone and can't fathom doing that in a race and chatting along the way.
2009-07-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2310594

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
drcherrybomb21 - 2009-07-27 1:47 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2009-07-27 12:24 PM During my training for the transition area tours, they said that approximately 30% of the people in the race are competing in their first tri ever. Given that, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to spend a few extra minutes in the briefing to talk about race etiquette. If I do the tours next year, and I think I will, I’m definitely going to talk about it, even though it’s not in the “script”. I only saw the run course, but groups of people running in packs and obstructing faster runners behind them *COUGH*TeamInTraining*COUGH* was something I saw a lot of. I can only assume that there was some of that going on on the bike course as well. Not to turn this into an anti TnT rant, I think a lot of TnT people have trained exclusively with other TnT people and so they aren’t as familiar with the rules of cycling and racing as even another non-TnT newbie might be

Wow!  I can't believe they would do that!  I did not see that kind of rudeness on the run course.  People on the run seemed more supportive not rude at all to me. 

I would call it "inconsiderate" rather than rude. I don't mean to mince words, but I don't think they realized they were doing anything wrong. In their mind, this was just a training run with their TnT GF's, only with free Cytomax and portapotties.

I don't mean to suggest that they were linking arms or deliberately preventing people from going around them, but that there were 4-6 people running together at a similar pace and perhaps 3 abreast, which made other runners have to wait for an opening and squeeze through or go outside the lane to pass them. In general, I think running should be like cycling-- you stay to your right unless you're passing the person in front of you. I'm all for chatting with someone while running if you want, but a group that big is a hindrance to the person behind them--two abreast should be the max.
2009-07-27 2:14 PM

I'm glad to see people commented on this.  I was a volunteer at the swim start so once everyone was swimming we could watch parts of the race.  I saw a couple of issues:

1. The last waves were the younger men (25-39) and a number of them were very fast. Where I saw lots of abuse on the bike was when those waves reached the slower women (on the second half of the bike course).  It looked like the unfortunate combination of beginner slow riders who were not riding with good ettiquette or safety awareness being swamped by very, very fast riders who it seemed by then had lost their patience with yelling left.  I don't think most of the ladies were even aware they were doing the wrong thing.  The guys were clearly annoyed!  I'm a lady and beginner triathlete so I am not biased against those beginners, I just wish they had learnt a bit more about what might happen in the race. Do they always release the waves in the same order?  Maybe put faster waves near the beginning?  I don't know the solution.

2. I also felt very sorry for the couple of wheel chair athletes I saw.  They were clearly much faster than the runners but were finding it impossible to get through the crowds without slowing down, asking people to move, and tring to move around groups even.  It was their national championship so they were definitely racing and I'm sure they were not happy.  I don't know a solution for this but I did feel sorry for them.

3. Those pros are so fast it is just amazing!  The speed on the bike was scary. 

Congrats to all who did the race. Looking forward to it next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12