YMCA
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 28s
Overall Rank = 204/259
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 am after getting about 5 hours sleep. I stayed up too late watching movies with houseguests (mom and dad). Ate waffles with almond butter and honey. Filled my amphipod bottles and got everything together for the race, then drove the 2 hours to Missoula.
Event warmup:

Jogged to race start, and picked up our race packets. Then, went back to the car to stay warm until race start. Headed back to the start about 15' before start, ran around the block, used the port a potty and waited for the race to start.
Run
  • 1h 35m 28s
  • 10.33 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

10k- First 3 miles were pretty good. It felt really hard, and I was having a tough time mentally. I couldn't seem to get rid of all the negative thoughts, "This sucks! I hate this! Why do i do this anyway? I could just quit, or walk. I really don't want to do this. Maybe, I won't even run the 5k, but I don't want a DNF. This sucks!", you get the idea ;), but my pace was pretty good 9:05 to 9:15 miles. Then, just after mile 3 the road started a very gradual incline. My calves/achilles tightened up and my ankle was aching. My pace slowed to 10' miles even though my exertion level and hr stayed about the same. Tons of people passed me in mile 4 and 5. There was a short downhill at the end of mile 5 and my legs loosened up a bit. I was able to bring my pace back up for the last mile. I didn't have a final sprint in me, but I was happy to cross the finish line in under an hour with the way I was feeling. Finished in 58:17. Gary was waiting for me at the finish. We walked back to the start together to run the 5k. Poor guy had to listen to me bitch the whole way about how much I hated this run.

5k- Went a little better than the 10k. The 5k course didn't include the gradual incline, so no problems with my achilles/calves. My legs felt super heavy and my ankle ached, but my mental attitude was a bit better since I knew the longest part of the day was over. I still didn't have anything in me for a final sprint at the end. I was happy once again to cross the finish line. Finished in 28:45. I grabbed some powerade and headed back to the start for the last 1 mile.

1 mile- Just pushed through it the best I could. I was able to pick up the pace a bit at the end, and finished in 8:27.
What would you do differently?:

Oh, I have lots of excuses.;) Taper before the race instead of doing 2 long bricks in the week before with one of them being 2 days before the race. Not run a marathon 3 weeks before... loved the marathon though, so I probably wouldn't really change this :). Not race at high elevation when I've been doing all my training at sea level. Try to have a more positive attitude. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, then had lunch and a mocha in Missoula before driving back to Kalispell.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper... elevation... marathon recovery... achilles/calves... attitude.

Event comments:

This race is very well organized, and the trifecta option is unique, challenging, and fun. I just wasn't feeling this one. I'll be back next year though :)

Last updated: 2009-04-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:28 | 10.33 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 204/259
Performance: Below average
This is a Trifecta race. The time I listed is total time for all three races. Rank is also just the trifecta finishers. There were about 4000 runners all together. First race- 10k in 58:17. average hr- 168 Second race- 5k in 28:45. average hr- 165 Third race- 1 mile in 8:27. average hr- 166
Course: Mostly paved city streets with last .5 mile on dirt walking path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-28 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: Riverbank Run

2009-04-28 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2115966

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Riverbank Run
No excuses needed, sounds like you did great out there!!!!!
2009-04-28 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2116514

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Looks like a good race to me.  Good job!
2009-04-28 10:07 PM

User image

Montana

Way to chase out those negative thoughts and finish the last mile in under 8:30! That's awesome. Way to go Roni!

2009-04-30 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
All things considered - I think you did great......Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverbank Run Rss Feed