Set-Up, Inc.
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 12m 18s
Overall Rank = 66/153
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/37
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30am. Ate a clif bar in the hotel room, then scarfed down an Egg McMuffin on the way to the race site. No coffee:( I'd had nightmares the night before and was not really stoked about a race in which my coach commanded me to run only 8 miles. Hard to get super excited about a race that you can't race.
Event warmup:

Shimmied into my wetsuit and swam a little in the lake. It was warm for the wetsuit. Temp was 76 degrees. Too warm for my liking with a full wetsuit, but needed to practice open water in the wetsuit before CdA.
Swim
  • 36m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out good. Made the first turn without issues. The triangle had a long back and I was with two other girls so I had a nice draft. My goggles had fogged and this portion of the swim was into the sun. So I sighted the girls I was with, not the buoys. I thought it was taking an awfully long time to reach then next navi buoy and I heard a slapping sound. My partners stopped. I stopped. All three of us were treading water listening to a kayaker tell us how off course we were. Ooops. I found the turn buoy in the distance and set a straight line to it. The other girls came with me and one kept swimming into my side. Now I know how we got off course. I should have realized with all the physical contact that one of us was not swimming straight. I had just chalked it up to practice for the Ironman washing machine. After hitting the final turn buoy, I tried to get away from this girl, but ended up in a gaggle of male stragglers from the previous wave.
What would you do differently?:

Sight the buoys for myself.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

You had to run down this long, wooden dock to get to the transition area, so part of my swim time includes my stroll down the dock. I really didn't run anywhere. The transition area was laid out in a big L shape and my rack was at the far end. I must practice getting out of my wetsuit. I felt like I was rolling around in the dirt trying to get it off. But I really didn't care about transitions today.

Practice with the wetsuit more.
Bike
  • 2h 41m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.81 mile/hr
Comments:

After the crappy swim, I knew the bike was my last chance to have any fun. I got to the mount line, clipped in and pushed off. This is when a guy struggling to get his feet into his shoes almost t-bones me. I yelled, he jerked it, I ran off the road almost taking out some wooden stakes and he hit the ground. I said, "Sorry, dude!" and was off. That is why I will never put my shoes on my pedals. I see this stuff happen all the time. I already know I am not graceful enough to pull it off. I went out hard, but not anaerobic. My goal for this ride was to stay aero as much as possible and stay right at threshold. If I felt any burning in my legs, I would back off. I passed and passed and passed. Since the course is flat, there were lots of groups out there which I just blew past. The thing that really got me thought was how many folks had really nice tri-bikes and aero equipment that were up on their hoods. WTF? This course was perfect for aerobars. And there was quite a bit of wind. Some of it head, some of it cross. Why not stay down in aero and stay out of the wind? This is where I raced. I passed a girl with a 35 on her calf on a newer model bike just like mine. She was also riding 404's. Not too long after I passed her, she passed me back. I was stoked. I do love a great game of cat and mouse and this was the only chance today I had to race. So I sat back, recovered a moment, then dropped it down into a good gear and took off. I was hoping to see her again, but no. Oh well. i knew she would have me on the run. I knew that 99 percent of the folks I passed would have me on the run. So I had my time of fun and enjoyed. I do love the bike. And this was fun. But it was also work. A flat course provides a great opportunity for a steady, aerobic effort, but you never stop pedaling!

Nothing. Except go faster, of course:)
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I was sad to leave T2 because now my race was over. I was no longer in racing mode. Only in training mode. As I told several people that I talked too on the run course, I left my ego in the transition area along with my bike.

Not have a hip flexor that gets so easily inflamed.
Run
  • 2h 48m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My coach told me to run only 8 miles and do that with a 5 min run/1 min walk interval. So that's what I set out to do. When I hit my first walk interval, a guy behind me said "I know you can keep going!" and I replied to him that I was a Galloway girl. He nodded and ran past. My hip felt great. In fact, for the first 3 miles, I felt awesome! After mile 3, the roads were cambered and I started to get paranoid. I think my hip flared after my half mary because of the cambered roads and first and foremost in my mind was the fact that I wanted to do nothing today to hurt me for IMCdA. Soon there were sidewalks and I immediately hopped onto it and ran on the sidewalk. It seemed like I hit aid stations at 4 minutes into my runs, but I needed to pick up a gel at mile 4, so I walked early. By now, the sun was coming out through the clouds and it was getting hot. I eagerly looked ahead for the next mile marker and saw that it said mile 8 for the other direction. I knew I didn't have much more to go. I did another 5/1 interval and was once again at 4 minutes when I hit another aid station. I wanted to take in some Heed, so once again, I walked early. My hip was starting to ache, so slowed my run pace down. I never felt stressed aerobically. I loved the 4/1 intervals. I found the 5/1 a bit more difficult. I made it to the turn around point and soon saw the mile 7 sign. One more to go. I did 2 more 5/1 intervals and hit the mile 8 marker. My watch said 4:49. So to me, that is when my race officially ended. I turned into a cheerleader for the remaining 5 miles. I was passed by throngs. As the miles slowly passed, I people began passing me who I saw running on their way out. It was really hot. I grabbed a wet towel from the mile 9 aid station and put it on my head under my hat. This was such a weird experience. I saw people on the out portion of the run struggling with everything they had. People in leg braces, people gasping, a guy throwing up on the side of the road. And I was just walking along, la dee da dee da. By mile 10, I felt like I could run again without any issues. My hip was not hurting. But I knew that would serve absolutely no purpose. I was at 5:30. I knew if I ran that final 5K in 10 minute miles, I could have a sub 6 race. But I knew that a sub 6 race today had no bearing or purpose. Today was all about June 21, 2009, Not May 2, 2009. It was simply not worth the risk of damaging myself further for IMCdA. So as I turned into the FFA Center, which was the race site, I was walking. I walked the finishing shoot. I walked past the big clock. I walked up to the nice race volunteer and turned in my chip. 6:12:18 was my official time.

NOT BE INJURED!
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched and drank a Pepsi and talked with a few friends. Then I had the honor of meeting Deanna Babcock, the triathlete from NC State who lost her leg after having heart issues during a swim workout while training for IMFL in 2007. She also was racing White Lake and had difficulties on the run. She said she had been a slacker and had just not run enough on her new running leg. Makes my lil' ol' hip flexor seem so insignificant!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hip flexor injury and impending Ironman race.

Event comments:

This would be an awesome venue if you ever want to race an HIM for speed. This is a fast course. I was proud of myself for not doing anything stupid and not letting my racing ego get the best of me. I did exactly what my coach wanted me to do on the run.

Last updated: 2009-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:51 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/37
Overall: 29/153
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:41:26 | 56 miles | 20.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/37
Overall: 4/153
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 56 mile pancake flat loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:48:51 | 13.1 miles | 12m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/37
Overall: 121/153
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, nice and flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-03 8:50 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: White Lake Half

2009-05-04 3:10 AM
in reply to: #2127332

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: White Lake Half

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You pulled off an awesome half, stuck to the plan, and wound up having a great race without aggravating your hip flexor. It takes a REAL toughie to know when to pull back and do what's right!

2009-05-04 5:15 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Congrratulations!  Sticking to the plan was hard but you did it!  It will be worth the effort next month!

2009-05-04 5:28 AM

User image

Champion
MA
As mentally tough as it was to stick to the plan, you are in much better position for IM because you did.

Great bike split and nice swim..you were on track to finish fast. Be happy you could race and run 8 and have your hip be okay.

I too love cat and mouse on the bike too bad she only passed you back once. I had someone we passed maybe 15-20 times at St. Anthonys...it rocked.

Congrats speedy Pam!
2009-05-04 5:35 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,

Great job, way to talk sensibly to yourself.  You'll be ready!  Whoohooo!

2009-05-04 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Wow. You are so much better at following directions than I'll ever be.

Congrats on doing exactly what you were supposed to and even having a little fun out there too!

2009-05-04 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Very very good!! I am proud of you for following doctor's orders... you will thank yourself for it come IM time. By the way, if a 4/1 ratio is what feels best, then maybe you should train and run that... you know, Katie's had me running different break downs, 3/1, 6/1, 8/2, 5/:30, and I think my best time came off of 6/1, not the 8/2 or the 5/:30.  Anyway, 4/1 is easy to remember, breaking it down in 5 min increments...

You had a kick butt ride. 2/37 and 4 of 153? Are you kidding me? You are screaming fast.

I agree about the aero stuff. That's why I haven't gone to an aero helmet yet. I can't stay aero for that long yet, so what is the point? I think on the last HIM I was aero for about 80%, so that is 20% I need to work on...

You are doing great and will be so ready for IM. As you know, you will have wetsuit strippers so you don' thave to worry about getting out of it!

2009-05-04 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Good race!  You'll be ready for CdA. 

2009-05-04 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to go Crispy Critter Surprised  Sounds like your swim partner navigates like me. 

Way to stick to the plan and be ready for the last part of the journey.

2009-05-04 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

way to go checking your ego at t2...that's tough to do especially knowing what you could've done. you're absolutely right though...6.21.09 is the day you're looking forward to...everything leading up until then is preparation. great job.

great swim with being off course AND a long run until the mats...and most excellent bike. great job!

2009-05-04 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2127697

User image

Champion
Taser-World
So instead of 2112 yards, you swam MORE than that -- and you still have posted an awesome time. Think of the extra yardage as "a little extra swim practice." Plus, I'm betting you don't repeat that mistake again.

The bike was also awesome. And the run, well, you followed your plan, which is good.

Great job! Hope the hip flexor stops being a problem!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed