General Discussion Race Reports! » Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Broad Street Run
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 08m 3s
Overall Rank = 683/23093
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 87/1642
Pre-race routine:

Had my Ensure, a Clif bar and some coffee at home before heading out. Got downtown ~6am, parked quickly at the stadium and hopped on a subway to get to the start. Was there ~6:30 or so and found someplace dry to hang out until it was time to warm-up.
Event warmup:

Ran ~2mi around the track with a couple sets of strides thrown in towards the end. Walked over to the start corrals (saw pastoops walking by--who says you can't find a friendly face amid 26,903 racers). Had a gel about 15min before the start and did some light stretching to try to stay loose prior to the horn.
Run
  • 1h 08m 3s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Started in the first corral after the elites and was able to get reasonably far up so I crossed the line within about 20 seconds of the official start. At least where I was, the corrals seemed to work pretty well--only passed a small handful of people who obviously had no business being that far up front. And so, while it was certainly crowded, it didn't effect my running much through the race. The rain had held off around the start time, but began shortly after we got going and stayed mostly light, but constant, for the rest of the race.

The first mile I made a point to stay easy, especially as it starts on a slight downhill. The crowds helped a bit in that respect because I made sure not to worry about jumping past people who were running "too slow" at this stage. At about 1.5mi, konichiwa comes up from behind me and says hi (again, pretty amazing in those crowds!). We ran together for a little bit, but eventually I lost him while focusing on navigating around other runners--he was looking to run around 7:00 miles and I had already dropped a bit below that as well.

I was running very comfortably through the first 5 miles and didn't really start to "push" at all until the raced reached City Hall (a little over half way). There was a girl who ran by me there and I decided to try to stay with her as a way of forcing my pace up a little. I was still pretty comfortable for the next couple miles and was generally still moving past people.

I lost my pacer through a water station with just over a couple miles to go, but by then I was stating to feel the work being done so I didn't need much help pushing it anymore. The last mile began to get tough, but I was still holding onto my pace for the most part and only a very few people passed me on the way to the finish while I was still moving through most runners.

Finished feeling pretty good about my run. :-)
What would you do differently?:

Probably push a little harder a little earlier.

Wear a thinner sock. Mine were getting pretty water-logged by the half way point and made my feet feel heavier than I would have liked.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked through the finish area, grabbing a water and some food. Then hopped on a shuttle bus back to the parking lot. Didn't want to hang out too long as I knew I'd start to get cold once I cooled off from the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't trained specifically for this raqce, but mostly I just wasn't sure how to pace it--never raced 10 miles and hadn't raced anything at all since the marathon last fall.

Still, maybe I could have found 15-30 seconds, while going too hard could have easily cost me more than that in the other direction. So not disappoinmted at all with how I chose to pace it this time.

Event comments:

This is a BIG race. But at least from my position (admiteddly, fairly far 'up' among the throngs), it seemed very well run. Even on a cool and damp day, the crowds were pretty enthusiastic. On a nice day, I imagine it would be a blast--especially in S. Philly.

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:08:03 | 10 miles | 06m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/1642
Overall: 683/23093
Performance: Good
7:03, 6:52, 6:56, 6:53, 6:52, 6:48, 6:44, 6:42, 6:43, 6:30 (Garmin was off slightly, so added :03 to 1st mile and :01 to each of the other miles to add to the right total--close enough anyway)
Course: Straight shot down Broad Street. Couple short turns around City Hall, but other than that it is literally dead straight. Also slight net downhill with only a few very moderate inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 9:20 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield

2009-05-04 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2128130

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield
Man, that is a huge race!  23k people in a 10 miler??  Damn .....

Great pace and great result!!  Those 100 days paid off I guess.
2009-05-05 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2128130

User image

Subject: RE: Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield

X2 What Daremo said.  Solid, consistent pace.  Excellent race  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield Rss Feed