Vacation Sports
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female Relay
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Event warmup:

I was riding the bike in this du relay, so I had a bit of time to hang around. I jogged around a bit and tried not to relax too much. I knew the first 1.5 miles were flat and fast, so I figured I would warmup then.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

28:34 - 3 miles
This was run by my friend Kristi and she did awesome! She's a great partner. She's coming back after having to DNS most of her races last year after an injury. This was a well needed confidence boost for her and I'm really proud.
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

We worked it out in advance that our second runner would do the chip transfer. I got a spot right by the bike out, so the majority of this time is Kristi running through a tight transition area while others try to get on their bikes. I thought we did pretty good here.
Bike
  • 43m 43s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my third time doing the course, so I knew where I could go fast or not. I screamed out of transition and felt like I passed 50 people before even leaving the park. The big hill is always hard, and even harder this year with the different bike and what feels like higher gearing. I had a headwind for about half the course with some gusty side winds. The only good wind was on the shortest portion of the route :( I had the best time in the female relay group! Woo-hoo! Can't ask for better than that.
What would you do differently?:

My ONLY regret is that I didn't bring along a Gu or something. I had my usual good breakfast, but I could have used a little boost while I waited for our runner. I'm also sorry I couldn't show off my cute GWTC outfit. It was too cold for me, not running first, to wear it alone. But it was underneath another layer and I was glad to see how comfortable the shorts and top are.
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

Obviously we got better in transition :) I came in and got to my team very quickly, but our second runner had to run back out through transition. She basically had the exact reverse course of the first runner. This might also be easier second time because there are less bikes to fight through.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

25:29 - 3 miles
Another AWESOME teammate, Carrie, pulled out a fantastic run. I couldn't be prouder of either friend. She has a great finishing kick and passed a few ladies on the way.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished the bike, I took off all my bike stuff and put on another layer and shoes. It was still very overcast and cool at this point. I was glad to not be very sweaty. Then we ran to a point to cheer Carrie in the last stretch and ran again to cheer her at the finish. I had another girlfriend on a relay team, so we were able to cheer for her too.

Event comments:

I won't comment on Vacation Sports again, because they were up to their usual foolishness. OK - one comment: I was the person who submitted the registration, yet only Carrie and Kristi's names were on the timing information. Kristi was listed first so when Carrie finished, they called Kristi's name. Really dumb. We had a team name... But OF COURSE I am thrilled to have a medal that I really feel we earned. We could not have caught the first place team, but the other teams were all very close behind us. A little faltering and we wouldn't have managed 2nd, so I am really proud. I will cherish the medal since I can't imagine earning another one until I'm 70 and 1 of 3 in my AG at an event. We all had a superb race, which is always great in the early season.

Last updated: 2008-12-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 11/
Performance:
Course: Clockwise loop around Lake Elmo Preserve. Pretty route with rolling hills, mostly asphalt path.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:31
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:43:43 | 13.5 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Clockwise loop around perimeter of Lake Elmo Reserve. First and last 1.5 miles are on park roads. BIG hill after leaving the park and the hills get gradually easier after that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 11/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-09 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Oakdale "Spring Classic" Duathlon

2009-05-10 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2140710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: RE: Oakdale "Spring Classic" Duathlon
Girls with Guns? Why does it have to be about violence?

Nicely done! Sounds like a great experience for the whole group.

Congrats on the medal.

You ride pretty good, for a girl. Tongue out
2009-05-10 7:47 PM

User image

Elite

Great job Emily.  You are doing great all ready this year.

2009-05-11 10:01 AM

User image

Great job! I think I saw you out there but it was about 15 seconds before the run started and I was too nervous to be social... next time
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oakdale "Spring Classic" Duathlon Rss Feed