MultiRace.com
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 13s
Overall Rank = 130/254
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

This Race was organized for the well known people of www.MultiRace.com (Robert and Mercedes Childers) and it's part of the Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon Series.

It took place in Crandon Park, Key Biscayne Florida and hold 3 Races at the same time...an Olympic Triathlon with 254 participants...a Sprint Triathlon with 417 participants and an Olympic Duathlon with 76 participants...with a total of 747 participants...

Friday May 1st:
We went to pick-up our Race Packages to teh store Mack Cycle in Miami in the afternoon after my Buddy works due the number of participants...When we got there... We found out that I was by mistake in the Sprint Triathlon list in the computer instead the Olympic...I had to call Mercedes Childers...and...she fixed the problem immediately...Uffffff!!!

My Buddy got the Bid# 91 and yellow cap and me Bid# 92 and purple cap...Yes!!! (NO PINK CAP) Thanks!!!

Photobucket

After that we went to our favorite Itaian Restaurant "DiNapoli" to get dinner (carbo load).
My Buddy ordered like usual the Seafood Special: Clams, shrimps, mussels and squid in marianra suace over lunguinis...and...I ordered the Pesce Livornese: Filet of fresh fish with calamata olives, capers, fresh tomatoes, garlic & white wine served with Linguini in garlic oil...
Also we ordered a big pizza to take to home for next day: The Tutto: 9 toppings Pizza.

That weekend I was pet-sitting 4 indoor dogs of one of my best and permanent clients...I had to check/take them out at least every 4 or 5 hours during the day...to feed them once and spend the night in the dogs owner's house...

After dinner...we went home...I prepared all my sleep over stuff and went to the dog's house and spent the night over there...slept till late around 8:30 am...off course...woke-up before 7:00 am to take out the dogs...but..went to bed again...LOL

Saturday May 2nd:
Went back home...and...took a good breakfast...orange juice, eggs, toasted bagel with cream cheese, turkey and brie on top and coffee w/milk.

We washed/lubed/tuned our bikes...put Bid#'s in our bikes, helmets and belts...prepared/packed all our Race stuff...and prepared all our beverages...

We stayed at home relaxed around the pool and for lunch we got some slices of pizza...and...then we took an hour nap...

Got early dinner at 6:00 pm...We got grilled chicken breast, a baked potato and steams brocolli...

We loaded our bikes and Transition Bags into the car around 7:30 pm...and again prepared my sleep over stuff and took a cooler with all my beverages and my Buddy took me to the dog's house around 8:00 pm...to spent the night with the dogs again...Went to bed at 8:30 pm...ZZZzzzz....!!!!

Sunday May 3rd:
Woke-up at 3:55 am and took the dogs out without their collars and tags to avoid the usual clinck-clinck-clink...!!!...LOL...they did it great...not noises...and the dogs from other houses didn't wake-up or bark...and...everybody was sleeping in peace...Ufffff!!! I have taken care of these dogs before and they have waked-up almost all the neighborhood...LOL

While the dogs were outside doing all their business...I was taking my usual Pre-Race Breakfast...first a glass of orange juice...then...my usual Super-Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and a small Clif Bar (oatmeal raising walnut) and TC before you ask...yes...off course I took my package of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CQO-10...LOL

My Buddy called me around 4:30 am...he was leaving from home to pick me up...I got all my beverages from the refrigerator and fridge and placed them in my cooler...put the dogs inside...and...went out to wait for my Buddy...Somebody else would come to check the dogs during the Race time...

My Buddy picked me up around 4:45 am and leaving from there around 4:50 am...It tooks us around 45 minutes to get to Key Biscaynes...and...got to the Entance of Crandon Park around 5:45 am...and...lucky us...cuz...nobody was in the entrance charging the entry fee and we got in free...LOL...the women in charge of the entrance were just arriving...
Parked car...took our bikes, transition bags and cooler...and headed to Transition to our respective rack area...My Buddy and me were in the same rack...we found a great place at the end of our rack..racked our bikes...and
Went to get body marked and our timming chips...and...started to set-up our Race stuff:
Placed a green towel over the grass under the front wheel...over the towel my biking/running shoes...a bottle of frozen water and my hat and inside my hat the belt with Bid# and a little package with Endurolytes...

Helmet over the seat...AeroBottle with PowerBar Endurance (Orange) in the braket over the AeroBars and my sunglasses over the handle bar...

When everything was ready...checked Entrance and Exit of Transition and where exactly was my bike...

Then went to find our BT's friend Angelo and in the same rack area to meet my friend Chewie Louis from RWTF...and...he went to our rack area to meet my Buddy too...It was really nice to meet him...He was using the "Team in Training" Top...as part of that Team...

Sat over my cooler and relaxed a little...closed eyes and did a visualization of the Race and I took 2 PowerBar Energy Gel (Raspberry Cream) and 2 Endurolytes with water/PowerBar Endurance (Orange)

The Race Director announced that wet-suit was legal...Yes!!!...the water temp. was almost in the limit...it was around 77.5oF.
For us will be our last time to use wet-suit here in South Florida till November for the Miami Man Triathlon...NO MORE WET-SUITS...Ahhhhh!!! LOL

Added some Profile Design Lubricant inside the wet-suit and my legs...and...some bodyglide over my right side of my neck...
Put my wetsuit...took my swim cap, wax ear-plugs and goggles and headed to the Beach...

When we were walking to the Beach...we noticed that already was super windy and the ocean was very choppy...the weather was great...it was fresh cuz the windy condition...the temperature were around 75oF but it would pick-up to 80o's during the Race...

When we got at the Swim Area...we noticed that the lifeguards were still placing the bouys...LOL

Event warmup:

At the Swim Area...put my wax ear-plugs, swim cap and goggles...and jumped into the water...and...swam maybe 50 mts and came back to shore...cuz the Organizers were calling everybody get out of water...to start with the First Wave...but...the lifeguards were still working the last buoys and the Race Director delayed the First Wave for only 8 more minutes...

Finally when the last buoy was placed the First Wave (Pro/Elites and all Men under 39) started exactly at 6:38 am...then after 5 minutes the 2 Wave (All men 40+) at 6:43 am and our and last Wave (All women) at 6:48 am...

The Olympic Duathlon srated at 7:00 am and the Sprint Triathlon at 7:15 am

Swim
  • 36m 19s
  • 1448 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

The Swim leg was along the beach...straight till a bouy placed at 0.45 mile far from the Swim Start...We had to swim always with the buoys on our right...and...do an U-turn in the last buoy and swim till the Swim Exit...

We had to get into the water till an area marked for the start...I started in the left side of the peloton...and...it was a little difficult to keep a smooth/constante swimming...the ocean was very choppy and I felt like I was swimming in a huge washer machine...LOL...

I had to lift my head very frecuently to check/keep my way...I have swam in many occasion here in this Swim Course...but...this one was the third time with choppy condition...last year in this same Race but not very bad like this day...

When I was swimming I started to notice that my timming ship strap was loosing but...thanks godness...I didn't lose it cuz it was under my wet-suit...but..still I was very worried about it and I really didn't want to stop for it...and I took the risk...LOL

The other thing that I was thinking during my swimming was: "WTH is the last bouy???" It looked like eternal and looked like it was more far than 0.45 mile...when finally I got at the last bouy and rounded it and started to swim back to the Swim Exit...and...I noticed that was more easy...that means that we also swam against some currents in our way to this last bouy... but in our way back...it helped us a little...

Just when I was approching to the Swim Exit...the 1st Wave of the Sprint Triathlon was starting...Ufffff!!! Just in time!!!

When I raced this Olympic Triathlon last year...my swimming time was 29m44s...now...You can imagine the condition of the ocean that my time was 36m19s for this Race...Wuaooooo!!!
What would you do differently?:

Continue with my trainings...
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

Just out the water...running fast...I started to remove my wet-suit till my hips and then goggles, cap and wax ear-plugs and put them in my cap...

It was a long run in the soft white sand beach maybe 1/4 mile till a paved trail to the Entrance of Transition...but...I kept a good run passing a lot of women...

Just in the Entrance of Transition there were a water station...add...I took a cup of water to rinse the salty taste of my mouth...

When I got to my rack area...the first thing that I put was my helmet and then removed very fast the wet-suit...and...just when I took off my wet-suit...my timming chip strap fall...put it again..put biking shoes and sunglasses at the same time...took bike and ran fast out of Transition till the mount/desmount area....

It was other usual fast transition for me even the circunstances...I was the 2nd fastest in my AG and 64th Overall...

practice and practice...
Bike
  • 1h 25m 11s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

The Bike Course was a two laps course...
The bike course was great...even all the challenges and circunstances: gusty winds coming from SE maybe at 20 mph and gusting to 25+, to climb 4 times the Rickenbacker Causeway Bridge, deal with a lot of bike traffic (many newbies) and some problems with my front wheel in my first downbridge...

Just in my first miles I took one Accel Gel (Strawberry/Kiwi) and 1 Clif Block Shot and when I got at the first time at the "Rickenbacker Causeway Bridge" passing a lot of people...I was feeling great that I climbed very fast at the top and just when I started the excitement of a speedy downbridge...almost at 40 mph...the front wheel started to shake very bad...it was very scary...I believed that I would have a very bad accident falling with my bike...I reduced speed till I got down and I stopped to check what was wrong...I couldn't find out what was the problem...it was weird cuz this problem has never happened before and a weeke before the Race we trained here in Key Biscayne with similar conditions...and...I said to me "that's it...this Race is over"...I think I lost maybe 2 or 3 minutes in that...and...I decided to continue and I said..."let see what happend in my 2nd downbridge"...but...I was with the idea to go back to Transition and to quit...
Got till the U-turn...and headed back to climb again the bridge and when I got at the top...I went down but with caution not like usual...and...nothing happened...and..I said..."let's continue"...
In our way back to Transition till the U-turn...we had strong headwinds/crosswinds...uffff!!! In some points I only could get not more than 15 mph...it was tough!!! but I kept it...

Got at the U-turn and I took other Accel Gel and other 1 Clif Block Shot.
And again headed to climb for 3rd and 4th time the Rickenbacker Causeway Bridge and to go back to Transition...with headwinds/crosswinds again...uffff!!!

During the bike course...I kept very well hydrated in beetween my AeroBottle with PowerBar Endurance and water in my Speedfill Hydration System...

Fianlly, after the 2 laps in the bike course...and approching to the Transition Area...when I got in the desmount bike area...I desmounted my bike like usual, like the Pro/Elite but keeping my feet on shoes...passing my right leg over the seat to the left side next to my left leg...while the left foot was still clipped...and gradually with the breaks reduced speed and the bike still moving unclipped my left foot...jumped and ran to the Transtition Area...
There were a lot of people in the desmount area that was a little difficual for me to pass all of them...

Continue with my trainings
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

It was other fast transition for me even I had to deal passing a lot of people at the Entrance of Transition Area...I was the fastest on my AG and 47th Overall..
Got at my rack area...racked bike...changed shoes...took off helmet...took my hat and bottle of water and ran out of Transition as fast as possible...

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 52m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

The Run Course was 2 laps on a paved trail...some sections were along the beach...
Just out of Transition Area...running in a good pace...not too fast and not too slow...I took my belt with Bid# form my hat and buckled it...took 2 Enduroliytes with enough water...and tossed the rest over my head and neck...the water was cold...brrrr!!! but it was like somebody applyed me electro-shock...to Wake-up...LOL...and it was when I started to run more harder...but...I said to me..."remember is 6.2 miles...save your energy but keep a good pace..."

At this point I didn't know How I was doing cuz the problem that I had in my 1st downbridge with the bike that made me lost maybe 2 or 3 minutes and I lost tracking of the leaders and the rest of the women of my AG and off course there were many people racing the Sprint Triathlon and Olympic Duathlon that was hard to know who was racing the Olympic Duathlon even they were using a different color Bid#...but...still I started to pass a lot of people and some women from my AG...

Here is Pic of me taking for a friend in the mile 3:

Photobucket

There were tons and tons of people that were part of the "Team in Training" in this Race...and...I decided to play my usual startegic targeting people and I said to me "Every time that you see one of them from far...it's your target...and I only need to reach and pass him/her"...and...It was an excellent plan...cuz...they were easy to identify with the purple jersey or top that everybody was using...LOL...and...it helped me to kept a good pace and to recover some of the time I lost with my bike problem...

In general was a really good run...keeping a good pace...reaching and passing many people that passed me in the bike course...but...for that I always say to me..."Don't Worry Be Happy... Do the best that you can do and enjoy the bike ride...You will re-finish in the run".

I reached and passed my best girlfriend Julie Carson that usually is the fastets in the bike in our Age Group...and 3 others ones from my AG before the mile 2...but stil I was not sure if I was in the top 5...then I reached/passed my Buddy and when I got at the last water station in the mile 2 in my second lap (mile 5 for me) I started to push more and more till the last 1/2 mile when I sprinted as fast I could...like a cheeta till the Finish Line....

Continue with my trainings...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other gave to me a Finisher Medal (only for the Olympic Distances) and other one took the timming chip strap from my left ankle...

Walked out of the Finish Line area to wait for my girlfriends Andrea and Julie and my Buddy...

When they finally passed the Finish Line...We went to the Water Fun Area for kids...where all the Triathletes wash/rinse their bodies...It's like a fountain with a pole in the middle with 4 or 6 sea horses that spray water from their mouths...It's really Cool!!! next time I will take a pic of this place...LOL

Then We went to Transition Area to collect and pack all our Race stuff...took our bikes, cooler and Transition Bags to the car...

We went to the Restrooms and changed our wet Tri-Suits for dry clothe...and...went to check Results that were already posted in the Board...

By my surprise I got:

2nd place in my AG 45-49 / 16 women

23th Female Overall / 87 women

and

130th Overall / 254

Total Time: 2h 58m 13s

If you check my Race Report from this Race last year: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I did it in 2h 58m 39s

Improving my time in 16 second even all the circunsatances...Wuaoooo!!!

Also my Buddy got 1st place in his AG 55-59...Good Job!!!

Here are the Pics of our Award Ceremony:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here the Award and the Finisher Medal:

Photobucket

And here some Pics in action: http://eventpictures.com/app/event/searchPicture?eventInstanceId=16...

Event comments:

It was other excellent and very well organized Event of www.MultiRace.com that I recommend to Everybody...

Last updated: 2009-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:19 | 1448 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 169/254
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless Wet-Suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:11 | 24.85 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 146/254
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:09 | 06.21 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 83/254
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 9:07 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Tri Miami - Olympic

2009-05-11 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2144776

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Tri Miami - Olympic
Great job on more hardware!
2009-05-12 10:08 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Leonora, I saw your RR on RWTF first and commented there too.  Awesome job once again!  Tough swim and another speedy run for you.  Podium finish once again.  You rock!!!
2009-05-13 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
another great race!
2009-05-14 7:03 AM

User image

You look so good on the podium Velo!!  Glad to hear you didn't have a pink swim cap, for a change  

I could have sworn that your front wheel hopped/ shook a little in one of your last couple of races too.  I've read that with the Hed.3's that sometimes they go a lttle out of true and end up hopping as a result.  Who knows.  What I do know is that you got 2nd Place and rocked this Oly despite some tough swim conditions.  GREAT JOB!

2009-05-14 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
"Added some Profile Design Lubricant inside the wet-suit and my legs...and...some bodyglide over my right side of my neck" Luckily this is a TRI site and not one of those Adult sites.

Your PINK cap was waiting with your sprint tri registration...Foiled by the switch to Purple and OLY,,,shame!!

Great race once again and podium ...whoo...hoo!! I like those strawberry / kiwi accel gels too!!

You are amazing!!

2009-05-14 1:43 PM

User image

Miami,FL
wow very nice race velo!!! way to go.

Are you gonna be doing the Trilogy?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Tri Miami - Olympic Rss Feed