The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 22m 49s
Overall Rank = 1211/1510
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 42/68
Pre-race routine:

Nothing exciting here. I got up and got dressed, grabbed my transition bag, g-ade and a granola bar, and let J drive me to the race site. I uncovered my bike from it's plastic cocoon and set up transition. Somehow between that, body marking, taking the bike pump back to the car, and figuring out the ins and outs of transition, time went very fast and soon we were being given warnings to get out of transition, so I took my swim stuff and headed to the porta-potty, which I had to enter with no shoes. Ick! I put on my wetsuit and went to the swim start to be nervous.
Event warmup:

I ate a Gu about 30 min before my wave start. I didn't really warm up much. After entering the water, I just floated to the back of my swim wave, dunked myself under water, and tried to stay calm. Fail.
Swim
  • 35m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just a couple of strokes into the swim, I started breathing extremely fast and couldn't control it. I wanted to make forward progress, so I breast-stroked or modified freestyled so I could keep my head above water and breathe. After the first turn, I got it under control and was able to freestyle comfortably. I was so far back by that point, I didn't really have much trouble running into other people, except for some crowding and contact from the fast people from the following wave as we all headed to the finish. Oh, the other issue was that I could feel the excess fabric of my ankle chip strap come loose and start flopping around. I occupied the later part of the swim wondering if I should stop kicking because the last thing I wanted to do was lose my chip at the bottom of the lake...
What would you do differently?:

Make more of an effort to swim around before the wave went off, so I could control any panic much sooner.
Transition 1
  • 06m 56s
Comments:

I have no idea how I spent such an eternity in T1. It is estimated from my garmin and the other timing splits, but it can't be off by much. I didn't have trouble with anything, per se, and I was about as far as you could get from the bike exit (across wet grass/mud in bike shoes), but really I can see no excuse! I did forget to put my gloves on until just before I went up the hill out of transition, so I had to stop to do that.

Try to run a little faster out of the water and with the bike. Make sure to be methodical but quick in taking things off and putting others on. Practice more, I guess.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 23s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 16.20 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, I did very well on this bike course. I'd ridden it twice before and practice all the time on hills, so I wasn't intimidated. Of course I still got passed by the fast people from the waves behind me, but I made up 14 AG spots on the bike, mostly passing people on hills. I was also aggressive on the downhills, but took the corners easy. No need to wipe out on my first race. I've had trouble with gear changes in the past, but did well. I did have one dropped chain instance, but I was able to recover dynamically. Yea for that! I drank about 1 gatorade and ate 1 gu.

Not much. I was as well prepared for the course as I could have been and was happy with my bike split. Just keep practicing. :-)
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

This transition was much better, but still somewhat slow. I headed off without my garmin, and had to go back. I didn't want to sit down, but had some trouble balancing on one foot while I tried to put my shoes on.

practice a little more and not forget my garmin.
Run
  • 1h 02m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering I'd just swam and biked and the killer hills, I had a pretty good run. My HR was up there the whole time, but I've done entire marathons with it high, so I wasn't worried. I managed to keep myself from walking and tried to push the flats and downhills to make up for the slow climbs. I got a little confused with where I was relative to the park and was really excited when I re-entered it. It was fairly flat from there and I really pushed to a strong finish. There was a guy in front of me that I pushed to catch, just to see if I could. I hate to look like I'm really dragging as I head to the finish in front of all the people, so that motivates me to go faster. I had at least little sips of water at the stops and 1 Gu right at the beginning. I wanted to be under a 10 min/mile pace, but that was before I knew what the course was like... Given everything, I was pretty happy!

Nothing really. Maybe push a little harder since I did have a little left in the tank at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

I got a big proud finish hug from J, which was one of the best parts of the day. Since everyone I know finished before me, there were lots of people to walk around and talk to. We got some pictures (none with Chrissie for me :-( ) and eventually got some food. We sat through AG awards and then cleaned up transition and headed to the Ellicott City Brew-pub place. Mmmm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basically inexperience. I was well trained on the S/B/R, but could use some transition practice. More OWS would also be a good thing for me.

Event comments:

I knew the race was difficult going in, and apparently I could be considered nuts for making it my first ever, but really I have no complaints. I had fun despite my swim disaster and am looking forward to Eagleman!

Last updated: 2008-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:42 | 1640 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 58/68
Overall: 0/1510
Performance: Below average
Suit: F2R full sleeve
Course: triangle-ish course, well marked with big buoys. water was calm, but pretty gross
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:56
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:23 | 25.48 miles | 16.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/68
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A rolling hilly course with 2-3 fairly steep but short climbs.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:02:24 | 06.21 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/68
Performance: Good
Course: Extremely hilly course around the park and into some surrounding neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2009-05-18 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2159787

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Great job, baby!  I'm proud of you.  Cool
2009-05-19 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Excellent first race!  Looks like you were prepared, experienced from other endurance events, but still learned a lot, had fun, and executed well!  Major kudos and I hope you're hooked. 
2009-05-19 6:24 AM

User image

Regular
Fantastic job! The Eagleman terrain will be a piece of cake compared to Columbia, it's just those distances and the potential for a 90 degree day we'll have to watch out for. See you in Cambridge next month!
2009-05-20 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great job Becky. Columbia was my very first race a few years ago and you beat my time. You should be very pleased with this race. I'm sure you'll kick butt at E-Man.
It was great to meet you and J this past weekend.
2009-05-20 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Good job for your first and nice to meet you!   See you at Eagleman!

2009-05-20 8:01 AM

Pro
yep,

Great job at the race!  Glad you had a good time!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed