Douglas County, CO
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Made a fresh pot of coffee - needed to get going after spending most of the night with a very sick toddler. Also nice to have a cup of joe on a drive of an hour. Breakfast of cream of wheat and gatorade.
Made sure to throw old towels and extra water in the car to clean up after a muddy run. Brought recover drinks and dry clothes for the drive home.
Event warmup:

Find the right layers for a chilly morning that would get much warmer during the race. Jogged around a bit, but it was foggy and chilly.
Run
  • 2h 37m
  • 25 kms
  • 06m 17s  min/km
Comments:

A good springtime trail run in the rockies. The first lap was in the fog/mist, which was really surreal. Then it burned off and the scenery emerged. Didn't seem so much like a second lap.
My healing hamstring seemed to limit my downhill speed most. This was a pretty challenging run for the training I've done so far. I've run harder & farther, but not in the last 10 years!
What would you do differently?:

Forgot to take my bike tools out of my camelback fanny pack before the run. Oh well, I probably got stronger running with extra weight!
Post race
Warm down:

walking and a massage, then hanging out stretching on the fence and talking to Vertical Listing (by phone) and COgirl who also raced!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore knees and hamstring - but mostly, not quite enough training. This run required more strength than a road race of the same distance.

Event comments:

Brunch? I never found the food!? The start/finish was several hundred yards from the restrooms/parking/exhibitor area. Perhaps they moved the food up to the finish after we moved down to the hang out area. Glad I brought some of my own! There could not have been many drinks or heavy stuff, the start finish was out of range of vehicles - everyting had to be hand carried. I never did figure it out.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:37:00 | 25 kms | 06m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR avg 157, max 170 1240' of ascent during the race.
Course: Twice around a 12.5km loop. Seemed like it was mostly uphill ! A fair amount of the race was run in ATV wheel ruts in deep snow - like running on a balance beam covered in ice, but when you run in a trough, if you lose your balance, your feet are stuck in the trough and you topple over. Where it wasn't snowy it was MUDDY.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-17 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: Greenland Trail Run
Picture of COgirl finishing the race!  My super low quality phone camera doesn't show Pike's Peak over her head - it was a spectacular view in real life! ;)

Edited by Alpine87 2005-04-17 1:09 PM

2005-04-17 2:00 PM
in reply to: #143665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Greenland Trail Run
What a great race Brett!  I am in awe of you trail runner types!

Thanks for the pic of Cathy...where the pic of YOU???

I'll see ya in June. 
2005-04-17 2:15 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Great race Brett!    TOUGH day....but it was cool.  What's next?  Leadville 100?
2005-04-17 4:42 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice race dude!  Glad you had fun.  Later.
2005-04-18 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Nice race Brett!! Sounds like it was a good trail run...

You guys have me all jealous and wanting to find some trail races to run this summer

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenland Trail Run Rss Feed