United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 30s
Overall Rank = 116/125
Age Group = clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:45 took a nice long shower. Arrived at race venue at about 6:30. Checked, got marked, set up transition area. Got some help from the more expereinced racers. Everyone was really nice.
Event warmup:

stretching, MP3 player "Lunatic Fringe"
Swim
  • 10m 24s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yikes! First open water swim!! It was mass chaos. The water was like ice tea, I couldn't see a foot infront of me. I went out way too fast and got gassed very shortly after starting. Then I paniced. I took a few seconds to gain my composure and then decided to breast stroke the rest of the way. Freestyle was not happening for me. Of course my goggles fogged up so I was swimming blind. I couldn't see under the water and could see out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get some open water swim practice in.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Was a little wobbly getting out of the water. There was about a 75 yard run from the water to the transition area. I tried to run it coming out of the water, but was too unsteady. So i walked so I wouldn't die. Very strange feeling getting out of the water. Totally different from a pool swim.
Bike
  • 33m 9s
  • 9 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. Thank God I actually passed some people or I might have finished last!! NExt time I need to keep my cadance up and push a little harder.

I need to drink more while I'm on the bike. I also need to push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

First time really doing this. I guess I just need to practice a little more.

Drink my sports drink on the way out of the transition area instead of just loafing around in the transition area.
Run
  • 34m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to walk a good deal of the course. I would run/shuffle a few minutes then walk a minute, then run/shuffle.

This is the area I need to work on the most. My run endurance. If I could have actually ran/jogged the entire course I would have saved a few extra minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

sports drink, then playing with my daughter on the monkey bars!!!(best cool down there is!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Lack of experience with open water swimming. The panic factor in the water. Had I just relaxed and even done a full out breat stroke from the very beginning I would have done much better.
2. Run endurance. I have to get my endurance up.
3. Weight. I was probably the heaviest competator there. I have to loose weight if I'm going to improve. It's just easier to move a 200 pound mass than a 230 pound mass.

Event comments:

This was a very nice first race. The people were very helpful and very supportive. It was my first race ever and stll being 230+ pounds I'm OK with my results. I figured I would finish in over 1:30, so I beat my predicted time by about 10 mins. But, after actually doing the race I see what I could have done differently, and how that will translate into my future training. I also realized I'm not racing anyone else except myself. As long as I continue to imporve I will be happy! All in all it was very fun. I'm looking forward to my next race whenever or wherever that will be. My wife was proud of me for even attempting this, and my daughter kept saying "you won daddy, you won" I guess that's all that really matters in the long run. I'm happy with myself and my family is proud of me, what more can a man ask for.

Last updated: 2005-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:24 | 500 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/125
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:09 | 09 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Nice bike course. Through some very nice residential areas. Well marked, great traffic control.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:34:56 | 03.1 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice run course, if there is such a thing. Shaded through a hard pack camping area within the park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-18 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: Moss Park Tri Race #1

2005-04-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #144016

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Moss Park Tri Race #1
Good job on the race! The water was cold! SEe you next month!
2005-04-18 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Good Job!!!

Congratulations, Triathlete!!!

Whizzzzzz

2005-04-18 9:06 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Hey ASA22,
Congratulation triathlete! I was there too, first impressions of the whole setup had me a bit down but once I got going it was alright. No kidding about that water, not even sunlight seemed to penetrate it! Stay focused and it will all come together on your next one. BTW, if you would like, Melbourne has a nice Sprint to be held in June, see http://rotarypineappleman.org/4436.html.

Congrats again!
Don
2005-04-19 6:47 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race.  Glad you had fun and your family enjoyed things too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moss Park Tri Race #1 Rss Feed