East Carolina Road Race
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 39s
Overall Rank = 36/129
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with friends in Wilson about an hour away. Pre-race was the usual with the 1 hour drive added on.

Ran this race in memory of Bob Flemming. Bob was a friend in NC who last week died of pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and died on Tuesday. Had his name added to my calf in body marking, who wouldn't be honored by that?? ;-)
Event warmup:

Jogged around a little, stretched, swam a little.... Couldn't believe how wasrm the lake was, 80 degrees. I was expecting it to be chilly, not even close.
Swim
  • 20m 27s
  • 900 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good on this swim, much better than Columbia 2 weeks ago but I was sooo much slower. Did the wetsuit make that much difference in my time?? I wore a tri top during the swim, did that slow me down?? 17 seconds per 100?? Seems like a lot of time difference... Aside from the time, I'm happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster....train harder in the pool....grow fins....
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Very smooth transiiton for me...mind was clear coming out of the water, felt strong and focused.

nothing.
Bike
  • 43m 20s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great bike for me, fastest average speed ever in a tri. I passed a bunch of people, which was fun. I was well over 20mph except for heading into the strong headwind (which seemed like a lot of the time). I was happy but know that I can go faster.

Get back to doing intervals and hill training in order to build strength....more TITS.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Very fast T2 for me...and the small transition area really helps keep your times down. :-) Powder in the running shoes really helps them slide on with minimal effort.

not much.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm a little disappointed in the run time but happy with the effort I put forth. I felt like I was pushing hard, certainly harder than I pushed in Columbia. Here I had the advantage of knowing the course (and knowing that it was only 3.1 miles and would be over soon). But I still think (know) that I can run faster. For the last mile of the run I had a guy in my sights, about 30 yards ahead. He looked like he was running so slow and and was hurting. I pushed hard, especially in the last 200 yards and he never got any closer....I was bummed. Fortunately he wasn't in my AG.

Need to inject speedwork back into my run training regimen.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran this race with two good friends so I ran back up the course to cheer them on. Andy, it turns out, flatted twice on the bike course and was very frustrated. Outside of that, he had a great race (his first tri). I found Kelly and ran in with her over the last mile. She did awesome. After that we stretched, hydrated, cheered all the award winners....laughed at all of Carl's (race director and friend) bad jokes. This was the begining of a great weekend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just my level of fitness. I'm in good shape but not in great shape. I feel good about this race but know that I can go faster.

Event comments:

This is a great local race. The swim is in man made water ski lake, the bike is on lightly travelled roads and is mostly flat and the run in on a private golf course....just a great race venue. It is well organized and run by Carl and Julia Bonner (both stud triathletes) and has tremendous support from the community.

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:27 | 900 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 79/129
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: This is a man made water ski lake, long and narrow. Sighting is easy, you just need to keep your distance from the shore constant. Swim down to the turn island, circle it and swim back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:20 | 15 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 25/129
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat on lightly travelled roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:43 | 03.11 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 39/129
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat, mostly on grass, with some short steep hills. Majority of the run is on a golf course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: Lake Kristi

2009-05-31 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2184757

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Lake Kristi

GReat Job George.  So sorry about your friend   I have lost 4 people to cancer in the last year.  Cancer sucks

2009-06-01 6:37 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great race George.

That bike time is awesome!!
2009-06-01 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Swim sounds like you need time in the creek. I am guessing its a comfort level. Awesome bike split and man do I wish I could run like that. Well done, glad you had a great time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Kristi Rss Feed