General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Women's Only Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toronto Women's Only Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
12C / 54F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 38s
Overall Rank = 68/927
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/62
Pre-race routine:

It's the inaugural year of this race. I was hesitant to do it since I have been doing so many races and it seems like this time of year it can be brutally hot (it wasn't). Anyway, it promised to be a good time but not likely a great PB course - it's on park paths and with 1000 women so i thought would be crowded.

We took a cab over to the park, an expensive one - since when do cabbies go slow on an empty sunday morning? weird. Anyway, on the way over I ate a power bar and sipped on some water.
Event warmup:

None. it was a pretty cool morning so i hung on to my sweater as long as possible. I also wasn't/hadn't treated this races as an A race and I knew I would probably PB no matter what. (And I should preface and say that I haven't run a half marathon since this time in 2007 so even if it wasn't a great day i'd probably PB because i've been doing really well with longer and shorter distances over the last year. My previous official PB was 2:16.)
Run
  • 1h 50m 38s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

My RP and i were in Wave 1 and we kept the dodging and weaving to a minimum by chatting and not worrying too much about pace. There was a storm last night so there were a few puddles to dodge but the course was a pretty good mix of shade and sun with small rolling hills.

We chatted and happily passed 10k around 53 minutes so it looked like a 1:55 finish (would be happy with that). We passed the firefigther station and saw some beefy shirtless firefighters. With two big out and backs we waved and cheered for other runners and people we knew.

By about 14k I was ready to be done.

By 16k i was breathing hard and we'd picked up the pace.

Just after 18k we were still running very hard and passed the chocolate station but neither of us was interested in that - 'just get to the finish' was both of our mentality! I was flirting with my 'puke pace' and was battling to keep going strong. I struggled to find that happy place and was really toughing it out mentally. Finally, i could see the finisher's archway and managed to pick it up! A finish of 1:50:38! Wahoo!!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. We started out well by keeping the pace back a bit and picking up gradually. All i can really do is work on getting faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I took a big cup of gatorade at the end and enjoyed. It was a PB for both RP and I and we noted how close to BQ pace we were - just to keep it up for another 21.1k .... riiiiggghht.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need some more speed work to get me to comfortably go below 5:00mins/km.

Event comments:

It was a fun event. I didn't think much of the women's-only thing at first but it was a really cool race. Kudos to the organizers since it didn't feel like a first-year event at all! My two main issues are that the path was often narrow for the size of the field and the medal was a necklace which is nice enough i just prefer a medal. Otherwise they had lots of people directing runners, food and aid stations.

Last updated: 2008-12-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:38 | 21.1 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 9/62
Overall: 62/927
Performance: Good
Course: Completely on paved park trails. Lots of shade and sun. Some minor rolling hills. Mainly two out and backs with lots of turns and crossing bridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Toronto Women's Only Half Marathon

2009-06-01 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2185730

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Toronto Women's Only Half Marathon
Great race!! Maybe we'll see each other at the Toronto Island sprint in August.
2009-06-01 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Nice job, Jen! You really pushed hard those last kms, and that's reflected in your awesome time!!
2009-06-01 1:43 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations on the PR and a great race!!  Sounds like a good event.
2009-06-06 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Well done! Thats an awesome pace! Well done for being able to pick up the pace at the end, congratulations on the PR!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Women's Only Half Marathon Rss Feed