Setup Events, Inc.
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 57s
Overall Rank = 14/228 wo
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/34
Pre-race routine:

as i have been doing all this year so far, got up an hour before i had to leave. this gave me plenty of time for the ole digestive system to do it's thing. woke up to pouring rain and thunder. i thought ryan was joking when he told me. i didn't think rain was in the forecast. prayed for a cancellation, wasn't in the mood for a cold start, rain, or racing in general. overall cranky. on the way, we saw a jeep with a tri bike leaving the site, got my hopes up that the race was cancelled. no such luck.
Event warmup:

took a 5 minute spin on the trainer before we left. i liked this. i was cold before. it warmed me up. i also wore an extra pair of sneakers instead of flip flops to the start. did some light jogging around.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

snake pool swim in a 50m pool....this was my second pool swim. my first was also my first tri. that was a debacle. this was 1000x better. felt calm. wasn't a great time, but i felt okay. passed 1 or two people. never got passed. during the last lap there was a line of 2-3 swimmers that couldn't get around due to traffic in the lane yet the guy behind me felt the need to tap my foot for a full 50 meters. dude, i am not stopping to let you pass. me and the 2 people in front of me are also trying to pass. can you really not see this?
What would you do differently?:

need to swim more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

13/228
didn't feel too speedy, but whatever.
Bike
  • 35m 41s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.18 mile/hr
Comments:

the course was really wet with a lot of puddles. i very nearly died on the the last loop at the corner of wiehle and reston pkwy. my back tire skid about a foot and i almost lost it. should have slowed more. i am glad this happened on the last loop cause it rattled me. i really love my aero bar shifters. i feel like i am going much faster on the downhills and reaching max potential on the flats. i need to get more fit here though. i do not feel strong on uphills at all. this was about 4 minutes faster than i was planning on though. can't be upset about that.

i need to train more. the hip has kept me from doing that, but that will be a large focus next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

again, wasn't super speedy.
45/228
Run
  • 24m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

rolling hills on reston's trail system. this actually is a rare case when a loop course feels more downhill than uphill to me. went hard in the middle section. felt a little burned out at the end, but finished strong. i was 1 second behind the next woman in my age group. i definitely would have pushed the end a little harder had i known that. staggered starts are rough that way.

speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing. as usual.
crossed the line (and here is where it gets emotional), looked at my watch, 1:11 flat. 3 minutes better than my goal. 3 minutes in a sprint?! that's alot! holy cow. maybe i placed? that time would have placed me 2 or 3 in my age group last year. oh my god! i sat down and drank some water and waited for results to post. looked at my splits on my watch....no swim time. there's the bike and transitions of 46min and a run of 24 and change, but no swim. i must have messed up and hit off instead of split after the swim. damn. i remember looking at my watch after the swim and i was at 7:30 ish. so instead of 1:11, i actually did it in 1:18 and change. i felt like a deflated balloon. i walked over to ryan (embarrassed) and told him i had made a mistake and had actually finished in 1:18. i was bummed. here i had started getting excited that i might have placed. nope. oh well. what are you going to do? i walked over to where they were posting the results. they had just put up the page going all the way through to the 1:20s. i searched the 1:18s, no lisa albrecht. crap, did i do even worse than that? nothing in the 1:19s, nothing in the 1:17s. what the hell? on a whim, i checked the 1:11s...nope. then, in the 1:10s something caught my eye. there i am. holy crap! oh my god. i didn't hit off. i just didn't hit the split either!!!! my 46 min split was my swim, my bike, and my transitions. oh my gosh. i could have placed. i probably placed. yay yay yay! i check above me. sigh. no place. i think i placed 5 in my division. ....but the up and down roller coaster that happened had me walking out really bummed that i didn't place. dumb, i know, but it is what it is. i need to move to a slower town :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

more volume on training.

Event comments:

heard some complaints about some foul ups at the start. didn't impact me. i was clueless and in line at the bathroom. ryan also said that water station was just setting up when he passed. they were there by the time i got by, but for 3 miles i don't really have a lot of needs anyway. i was fine.

Last updated: 2009-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 400 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 35/228 wo
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:41 | 12 miles | 20.18 mile/hr
Overall: 24/228 wo
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop course. rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:36 | 03.11 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 16/228 wo
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Reston Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-01 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2187074

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Reston Sprint Triathlon
congrats on crushing your goal! great job out there!
2009-06-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2187111

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Nice race.  Great bike and run!
2009-06-01 3:11 PM

Congrats, rack buddy Sorry I missed you. And sorry I didn't race, as you would have had the pleasure of beating me in our AG (Except maybe in the pool - we may have tied or something) But now hearing that it was rather slippery, I'm glad I didn't!

I heard that there was no water on the run course for the front of the pack - the boy scouts were supposed to do it and they didn't show up? I did see some boy scouts coming into the race area after 8 am - long after they should have been there, I imagine. The worst part is that the Reston Sprint people bungled the water LAST YEAR, for which they received many complaints (they ran out of water, so the BOP'ers didn't have any, I heard, and it was hot that day). This does not reflect well on them.

2009-06-01 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
nice job on the bike and especially on the run - it's a tough run course
2009-06-04 7:20 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA