General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
Downtown Bicycles
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 3s
Overall Rank = 140/266
Age Group = Clyde 225+ 40+
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5, had a couple glasses of water and some oatmeal. Pumped up the tires on the bike and then went out front to wait for my ride. Did the race with my buddy Jim and his 15 y.o. step-son Max.
Event warmup:

A few hindu squats and jumping jacks just to get the HR up.
Swim
  • 09m 36s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really wanted to attack this swim and try to navigate pretty true for once. The navigation was fine, but my aggressive start had me blowing up at the halfway point. I had to alternate sidestroke to catch my breath and then jump back to crawl until my breathing forced me back to sidestroke.
What would you do differently?:

Train in freshwater, way different than the ocean. Maybe a better warm-up to get the breathing and HR normailized.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Decent transition, but I took the time to put on a tri shirt so I could carry a couple gus in the pockets. My pal Jim sez he just tucks his in his shorts and next time I'll forget the shirt and do that. No socks.
Bike
  • 28m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the bike would be my strength so I really hammered. Jim was maybe 15 seconds ahead of me coming out of transition and I was gonna try to hang with him to pace myself, but he was off like a bullet. Course was crowded at first and I was passing people passing people, occasionally wiggling in to the incoming lane. Turns got very crowded and I had to back off on occasion to keep it safe. By the second loop I was mostly alone. Didn't get passed once so I felt like I was making up ground.

Not much. I've only been cycling for 6 months so I'm pretty happy. Thought I'd hit about 27 minutes but the loops and turns killed momentum.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I knew this transition would be a bit longer than ideal. After my blistering issues of the past few months I had to take the time to put on socks. Getting socks on wet feet just took some time.

Move faster. I'd like to find shoes that would allow me to run a 5K sockless.
Run
  • 22m 40s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

As much as I wish I was a faster runner I suppose I can't complain about this effort. I did a 5K last month with 9:34 miles so to be 30 seconds faster after a hard bike was encouraging. The first mile, as usual, sucked and had me second guessing this dumb sport. Early on I get passed by a big ginger with a "44" on his right calf. He ended up being the winner of my group and pounded out 8:15 miles; not bad for a big dude. While I never did get close to catching him I did pick up the pace when my legs warmed up. I was paranoid about anyone in my group catching me so I tried to ramp it up the best I could. I surprised myself by thinking competitively; my intention is really just to out there and have fun.

Keep training the run, there's lots of room for improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited w/ Jim at the finish line to cheer on Max. Grabbed a couple waters and bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only been doing tri for 9 months. At 225 pounds I still need to drop some fat to increase speed.

Event comments:

This was my 4th tri in my 9 month career and I beat my last performance at this course by 15 minutes. Making progress.

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:36 | 437 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 174/266
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: straight shot in a brown, murky lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:18 | 10 miles | 21.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 71/266
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Winding two-loop course with lots of tight turns
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 97
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:40 | 02.5 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 181/266
Performance: Good
Course: Looping footpath course, scenic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon

2009-06-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2201264

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon
Nice race... Anytime you improve on prior results is a great thing! Agree bike traffic was crazy. Keep up great work and you will be in 200 pound class next year at race! I went from the 200 club to 185 this year and although my my times have not kept up pace with weight loss, it does make a nice difference. Good to hear you keep it fun even though competitiveness creeps in from time to time, that is normal! I had good time Sunday and would do that race again.

Great report.
2009-06-10 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Very nice race! All that work over the winter is paying off!. 2nd place in your division in your 4th race is a great result. I still haven't gotten any hardware other than a finishers medal 40 or so races.

Really good to see your running comming along. Like you said beating a stand alone 5k time after coming off a hard bike is awesome. As far as swimming goes remember "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". When I pick up the tempo I splash a whole lot and burn an ton of energy and don't go a whole lot faster. I'll bet that's what happened for you. Nice long smooth and effiecient stroke get you from point A to Point B efficiently, faster, and feeling good.

Again great job.

Andy
2009-06-10 1:20 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Great Race...and...Good Job...!!!

Congrats on your 2nd place AG....WTG...!!!!

2009-07-05 6:02 PM

User image

Regular
Port St. Lucie
Good job! I thought the bike ride was pretty curvy and crowded, too! Keep up the hard work!
2009-07-05 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Congrats on your race.
What a great improvement.
I moved from the clyde 220 to the clyde 200 and my times haven't quite caught up, but losing the weight has really helped!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameriprise Financial South Florida Triathlon Rss Feed